Stuttering in all my games

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BenGarrison

Stuttering in all my games

Post by BenGarrison » 21 Dec 2016, 20:37

I just bought a 165 hz asus Gsync monitor. I thought it would fix this problem I have had since I started playing on PC. Basicalyl when I play Bf1 I get a frequent, inconsistent stutter every couple of seconds. I can set my fps to 60 and uncapped I get over 80+ fps but it still stutters. Its not microstutter its a random level loading type of hitch. I have updated the latest drivers, etc. Nothing works. Basically I wanted to know if anyone else who is very senstive to this type of thing ever had this problem. Its every single game! I have basically built 3 PC's and they all do this crap.

Here are my specs

Gtx 780
i5 3570k 4.7 ghz
16 gb ram
windows 7

alex47

Re: Stuttering in all my games

Post by alex47 » 22 Dec 2016, 08:09

try lowering your graphical settings to minimum, except for screen resolution
did this help?
if yes then maybe it's because the gpu memory is getting full
or not
I'm no expert here

BenGarrison

Post by BenGarrison » 22 Dec 2016, 13:14

I set everything to low and then used a 60fps cap. It was not maxing out on my CPU or GPU but still stuttering. It did run a lot better

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 24 Dec 2016, 06:53

Hi there,

I am super sensitive to stutter of any kind. like any frametime difference
I started to try to fix CSGO as it was stuttering even though I get well over 240fps all the time
And had issue with Battlefield as well

Anyway what I have done to fix this issues for me was several things. I will list one thing at a time

1. Regedit (something I found in another forum related to another game, this part stopped the freeze lag I had in csgo where it would hang for a second or 2 before computer went back to normal and I was dead):

Forum post:
"here's a snippet i found on a 400+ reply thread somewhere and finally something worked.
Unsure if it will work for everyone as its a driver error for sound, luckily im windows7 x64 with realtek, seems gay drivers make diablo 3 gayer. Anyway here's the help!

"Editing the registry seems to have fixed my lag spikes with Win7 64bit and Diablo 3. Might be worth trying, especially if you have Realtek sound. BTW make sure your sound drivers are up to date.

There is a simple way to check if this will work, so you don't need to do registry fix to check. Disable sound in Device Manager, run game, if lag problem is gone you probably need to do registry fix.

Disabling Win7 network throttling component:

Quote:
* Open regedit
* Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
* There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
* Reboot"

2. I had overclocked my cpu and this also introduced stutter even though the cpu was running without a hitch when running prime95 for 24h on it

3. I had terrible dpc latency for some reason which I found to be related to computer clock. This one made a huge difference when it comes to crappy frametime

Run cmd as administrator
then
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

This disables hpet which some people say helps but for me it made terrible frametime
Might be my hpet clock is bugged on my motherboard, but I dont know
reboot needed

4. try to stop all other processes that you wont use while gaming, I tried to do this manually but seems I always missed something
I installed Razer Cortex and use its game boost function
Basically what it does is that it disables alot of process that are not needed.
I manually chose pretty much everything so it would stop all of them
The thing here is, I get stuttery game place with a new reboot, if I run game booster it will be nice and smooth
When I stop game booster, games running after that are going to run nice and smooth as well so it seems there is some bad process messing up my system

6. cpu unparking, I used a tool called parkcontrol from bitsum softwarte, but you can do a simple regedit I think. Just search on google how to unpark cores if you have not done it already (this is kind of a must for gaming)

My system is Win 8.1 pro, intel 5960x processor, with 32gb ddr4 memory, 512gb samsung ssd pro and a 4tb SDHD (hybrid SSD and mechanical drive)

After this stuff everything runs nicely for me

Hope this helps

Best,
Kandor