Buying my first 144Hz monitor, Input appreciated

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lightreez

Buying my first 144Hz monitor, Input appreciated

Post by lightreez » 01 Jan 2017, 08:17

Hello,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I have been looking at monitors for under a week now, and from what I gather, this seems like the most knowledgeable and unbiased community, thus why I am posting here.

I have been gaming on 60Hz for the past 4-5 years. I got involved deeply into competitive scenes of fast-paced FPS twitch shooters, especially TF2. However, after overwhelming number of comments both from friends and online communities regarding how 144hz monitors give an unmeasurably more enjoyable gaming experience, I've finally decided to make the jump and buy one.

I started with a broad list and narrowed it down to two monitors, the LG 24GM77-B and the Asus MG248Q (successor of the famous VG248QE). I'd like your input on how these two monitors stack up against each other.

If you have any recommendation, I'd be more then happy to take them into consideration and research into them. Do keep in mind that I am purchasing the monitor to play competitive fast-paced FPS twitch shooters, so I assume anti-blur technology would give a significant advantage (although it may not, I am not knowledgeable enough about anti-blur to have that determine my purchase unless confirmed by someone here). My price range is around that of the two monitors mentioned above: ~300$

Thanks in advance for answers!

lexlazootin

Re: Buying my first 144Hz monitor, Input appreciated

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Jan 2017, 12:57

Meh, it doesn't really matter. As long as they are low latency and high refreshrate you're pretty much good to go. If one has a feature you want go with that one.

The only source i really trust when buying a monitor is http://www.tftcentral.co.uk They do amazing reviews and they go over everything. They did one on the Asus MG248Q and it's not too bad. Pretty much what you want from a gaming monitor.

The only other monitor i can really recommend is the Acer XB241H 180hz G-Sync which is amazing cheap for what you get or just wait for a Acer/Asus 240hz to come out which SHOULD be soon.

lightreez

Re: Buying my first 144Hz monitor, Input appreciated

Post by lightreez » 01 Jan 2017, 13:07

I'll take a look at the tftcentral review, thanks.

About your recommendations, I won't be able to dish out more then 300$, so I assume the 180hz and 240hz monitor will be out of my budget.