purchasing a 144hz monitor (for CS:GO)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
b0t

Re: purchasing a 144hz monitor (for CS:GO)

Post by b0t » 17 Jan 2017, 03:30

Falkentyne wrote:"Exploiting" means "taking advantage of...." or using it.
Don't think too much.

Just wait until you get the monitor and start using it. It's really EXTREMELY simple.
EDIT : Ive just read something about VT, while trying to find which Display mode is the most recommended, where you said NOT to touch the modes after vt tweaking.. Bcuz it distrupts the image and can even cause damage.. So what I just leave it at standard mode and then tweak?

& also, I was reading about the pixel clock patcher via MonitorTests and also a in ur sticky since I always use DVI, and I didn't quite fully understand, ToastyX wrote that it allows higher resolutions and refresh rates in the Nvidia driver, is he referring to a "higher" custom one because what u said about tricking the monitor into calculating strobes as for a 1440p ? is that why I need a clock which is higher than 330mhz?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Jan 2017, 10:52

No No No and No. I never said such a thing.

What I said is DONT TOUCH THE DISPLAY MODES. Those are the scaling options in "picture advanced ->display mode". That's what I said.
I never said don't touch anything else. The scaling options don't work correctly when using a VT tweak, because the monitor thinks it's scaling a 1440p image down to 1080 and the sizing gets funky, and then you get swimming pixels.

It's not called scaling options in the OSD. It's called "display mode." But they are scaling settings.

b0t

Post by b0t » 17 Jan 2017, 11:08

Yeah yeah yeah I misread sorry, what picture mode should I use then? photo?

b0t

Post by b0t » 22 Feb 2017, 22:54

Sorry to bump this old thread. Havent been able to get my hands on the monitor still bcuz I ran into some money problems (due to me recently moving to a new appartment)
Ill be in Amsterdam with my folks in less than a month and the prices there are silly (good) compared to where I live (like a 270$ difference on the 2720z price tag)

However, on their price comparison site, I wasnt able to find the benq Z version but only the Zowie 2720 instead, already read that it was just a gimmic and that dyAc is a new name for MBR and that it uses the same panel, will it use the latest firmware aswell? With AMA stuff and VT 1500 and of course, the utility working and everything?

Its just that I was hoping that the Zowie version would match the 2720Z V005 firmware so I wont have to deal with flashing it and messing around with the monitor.. Patiently waiting for an input , ty in advance :)

(Asking this because I read that the 2430 came out with the fixed backlight bug and a coupke of other things, but thats not the case for 2411 (u wrote it somewhere) bcuz the ama stuff dont work anymore).. So whats the deal with the 27?

b0t

Post by b0t » 25 Feb 2017, 13:24

Bumping this (sorry if its against the forum's rules) but I need to decide as soon as possible because I need to order it BEFORE I actually get there (average shipping time is longer than the total time of my trip which is only 4 days so..)

**P.S I found several threads discussing the issue with Zowie version of the Z monitors concerning the lack of support in BBR utility.. Fortunately those same settings can be accessed from the service menu if I understood correctly (phase & duty) ..

So apart from that, is there anything else different between 2720Z & Zowie's 2720 ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Feb 2017, 13:42

No difference at all besides rebranding.

Someone said that when he tried to update his firmware to V5 in Linux, the flash chip got identified differently (as a winbond something, almost identical to what was shown in the VG248QE in the Mstar ISP utility, instead the Macronix MX25L1606E) and he had to type the flash chip in, but otherwise his updated the same as everyone else. Never heard of that before though.

b0t

Post by b0t » 25 Feb 2017, 14:52

Falkentyne wrote:No difference at all besides rebranding.

Someone said that when he tried to update his firmware to V5 in Linux, the flash chip got identified differently (as a winbond something, almost identical to what was shown in the VG248QE in the Mstar ISP utility, instead the Macronix MX25L1606E) and he had to type the flash chip in, but otherwise his updated the same as everyone else. Never heard of that before though.

talking about the older Z version here I suppose, but do u really think there's a chance I wont get V5 out of the box considering Im buying the monitor in March 2017 ? I really want to avoid having to worry about updating the firmware, btw how are the V4 / 5 different from one another? I remember reading u stated that V4 made a pretty huge change but what about V5?

(if I do get the Zowie, VT tweaks work too I hope (1500 like the older ver) [?])