Best monitor so far even if 1080p

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
petchorin

Best monitor so far even if 1080p

Post by petchorin » 29 Jan 2017, 23:51

Good morning. I'm new here. First I'd like to thank the chief blur buster for his great work, And apologise in advance for my limited skills using the English language. I recently discovered what a jungle the monitor world is, and after buying and rma several monitors for the last two months, I 'm here to try to determinate what is the best one out.
At first I tried two 4k then a 2k monitors, but every single one of them had big issues.
I'm not a purist concerning colour, so I think I should go for a TN panel. And as it seems hard to find good 4k and 2 k monitors at an acceptable price (Less than 400€), my guess is I have to go for a FullHD monitor, either 24" or 27".

The point is I can't stand anything such as ghosting, blur, flickering, artefacts, shattering, etc... I want a perfect panel to watch movies, and I really mean perfect, the best. One that would show a clean perfect flying Alien at 960 pixels/second and surpass all others at all tests.

Right now I'm using a 27" 2k ips monitor that I will keep for productivity (music, paint shop, sony vegas) But I need a second monitor that would be perfect to watch movies as my ips monitor makes me nauseous when watching movies, I'm extremely sensible to any sort of disturbance.

I've red a lot on this forum and on others, but It's hard to make a choice with so much outdated information out there, and so many different protocols.

I have just red this thread today: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3135 where chief blur buster said the Asus VG248QE is extremely good at eliminating ghosting. Would that be a good choice? I'd like to have good blacks also, but maybe I'm asking too much.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Best monitor so far even if 1080p

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 30 Jan 2017, 05:30

BenQ XL2540 beats any 1080p 144Hz monitor in every way. But it costs a bit more than 500 EUR.
ASUS VG248QE is also a good monitor.

petchorin

Post by petchorin » 30 Jan 2017, 12:42

Thank you Q83Ia7ta ;)
Yes, 500€ makes it expensive. I guess I'l take the ASUS VG248QE then. Unless there is a 1440p as much artefact free, ghosting free, blur free etc, as the ASUS VG248QE, under 400 euros. Maybe? :|
Last edited by petchorin on 30 Jan 2017, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Jourgensen

Post by Jourgensen » 30 Jan 2017, 12:50

the acer predator is the best, I tested everyone of them, the colors are better, its the only monitor I had a result that fits me in 15 minutes of setup.
Its incredible nobody talks about it..... aoc asus or benq = lack of colors even after days of setup I couldnt have a perfect result.
The acer is so good they stopped the production to make a more expensive and fancy model a few months after, with the same screen.
The only "problem" with that screen is there is only one DP port and you have no usb port on the screen, but who cares.

petchorin

Post by petchorin » 30 Jan 2017, 13:03

Hello Jourgensen. Are you sure about the predator? I tried one in a shop in Paris, 100hz, 34 or 35" and curved. They let me run the ufo test on it, the result was blurry at 960pixels/second, and the cost of the monitor was 1100€.

Jourgensen

Post by Jourgensen » 30 Jan 2017, 13:07

Im talking about the predator 1080p 24" 144hz gsync, the XB240H.
I don't know for the other acer monitors.
You can buy it eyes closed, personnally I couldnt stand the lack of colors with the other monitors.
The XB241H is the same screen with a more fancy body and I think its overclockable, I bet they fixed the little problems of shiny plastic or the terrible blue led with the XB240H, but regarding the screen itself.. its perfect.

petchorin

Post by petchorin » 30 Jan 2017, 13:18

All right, how do the XB240H and XB241H behave wih the ufo tests?

Jourgensen

Post by Jourgensen » 30 Jan 2017, 13:33

I don't know and I don't care, regarding the ghosting the blur and all, all the screens were the same to my eyes.
I think the tests are interesting indeed, but I don't think you can see a difference with your eyes in a real condition, but the colors... yeah you see clearly a difference, the acer is more vivid.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Jan 2017, 13:39

petchorin wrote:Thank you Q83Ia7ta ;)
Yes, 500€ makes it expensive. I guess I'l take the ASUS VG248QE then. Unless there is a 1440p as much artefact free, ghosting free, blur free etc, as the ASUS VG248QE, under 400 euros. Maybe? :|
You're asking for WAY too much.
NO screen is artifact free, ghosting free AND blur free. That monitor doesn't exist. Unless you buy a CRT.
You're asking for a monitor that has blur reduction, NO ghosting and NO overdrive artifacts.

This monitor doesn't exist.

The closest you can come to this is the Eizo Foris FG2421, but you're going to pay a price in input latency if you use the motion blur reduction mode, and there were many samples of this monitor with various QA problems like severe cross-hatching and other issues. This monitor was quite famous for having very low overdrive artifacts, though.

The VG248QE can be set up to have no RTA artifacts (overdrive artifacts, if that's what you're asking), but you're going to take a hit somewhere. You either are going to get ghosting, or a HUGE drop in contrast ratio and VERY bad colors if you decide to use Lightboost (a strobed mode with very low to no motion blur) Yes, the VG248QE *can* be configured to have NO ghosting whatsoever (at least not something you can notice), but to do this, you would have to enable Lightboost mode (you can use toastyX's Strobelight to do this), and then you would have go into the service menu and set "OD Gain" from 0F (in Lightboost mode), down to 0C, and then drop the contrast level to "0". I've tested this and you get motion blur reduction of 1.4ms persistence (2.1ms at 100hz), and NO inverse ghosting of overdrive artifacts whatsoever. But the CONTRAST RATIO is less than 200:1, and the black level is absurdly washed out.

What's the point of having absolutely no overdrive artifacts and motion blur reduction, if the picture looks terribly washed out with horrible black levels and terrible colors?

The Benq monitors tend to use aggressive overdrive and have a lot of overdrive artifacts, but there are ways to reduce them on some models. But if you use blur reduction, you are going to have to DEAL with artifacts. Either NORMAL ghosting or INVERSE ghosting and there's nothing you can do about it.

With an Nvidia video card, you can use ULMB mode with monitors that support Gsync, but you are still going to have overdrive artifacts to deal with. If you read this thread you will see all of the feedback from users:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1605507/sams ... uantum-dot

The Samsung C24FG70 and C27FG70 have built in motion blur reduction, which works on AMD and Nvidia, good contrast ratios, but there are STILL artifacts to deal with.

The Benq XL2720Z has quite a few overdrive artifacts. It has blur reduction but you have to deal with either INVERSE or NORMAL ghosting. If blur reduction is OFF, there is a way to remove almost all of the "ghosting artifacts" by exploiting a firmware bug (funny enough, that deals with blur reduction on; this "bug" is mentioned in my sticky on the Benq at the top of this forum), but you said you want blur reduction, so well, you're going to have to deal with 1 or the other.

The new Benq XL2735 has built in blur reduction, *MIGHT* possibly support freesync even if it's not advertised, by adding the freesync range in toastyX CRU (this works to make the XL2540 support freesync), but will STILL have overdrive artifacts. There is an "OD Gain" option in the factory menu that you can change, along with the AMA setting in the OSD (still AMA is just Off, High and Premium), that can give you a bit more control over the three AMA settings, but I don't think anyone except Strobemaster has tested this yet. Strobemaster said that on the Benq XL2730Z, changing OD gain did have an effect on the ghosting and let you fine tune the AMA "High" setting a bit more.

I suggest you look at tftcentral's monitor reviews, as they take pictures of the ghosting you get on many screens, and find out what you feel is acceptable to you.

This is really all I can tell you. Because you aren't going to find a perfect monitor. You're going to have to find one with flaws, and try to tweak it to make the flaws a bit less.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2017, 16:06

Nontheless, depending on criteria, the VG248QE -- if you don't mind the poor colors -- is one of the best LightBoost monitors made in terms of lack of strobe crosstalk. Assuming LightBoost (blur reduction) is your #1 buying consideration. Each monitor have their pros and cons.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!