How do I describe this issue? (Flickering/144Hz/AMD)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ismithers

How do I describe this issue? (Flickering/144Hz/AMD)

Post by ismithers » 05 Feb 2017, 17:34

I have two AMD R9 Fury video cards, powering three BenQ XL2730Z monitors.

I recently had an issue whereby I noticed one of the cards wasn't performing, and RMA'ed it back to ASUS who make my particular GPU flavor. Upon return they had fixed the issue I reported, but now I notice an almost imperceptible flicker. At the Windows desktop it is totally fine. In-game however, and especially when viewing large sections of solid (or similar) color, such as a sky, or terrain, I can see the issue. Visually it looks like the color flickers between being draw with more or less intensity. It is nothing so severe as corrupt graphics, artifacts or a black-screen. It just 'wavers'. The most similar thing I can liken it to is when you view an old CRT monitor, at less than 100Hz. I used to work in IT and could always tell when a user had a low refresh rate set, and would immediately go and up it in the display properties, to remove that almost imperceptible flicker. I have not noticed this when running at 60Hz - and I have performed all the sensible isolation tests such as swapping out GPUs, cables, and monitors given I have the luxury of having multiples of these. I am 100% sure that it is something to do with the GPU, and not some other faulty/malfunctioning hardware component.

Anyway, that's what I see... sometimes. I want to return the card either for a replacement or repair, but how on earth do I demonstrate this issue/describe it? It is really subtle but drives me somewhat insane as I can see it. I tried recording a video of it and I bet you can imagine how well that turned out. :) Everything I google has really radical examples of flickering, where the user's monitor is exploding with graphical weirdness and artifacts, whereas this is so understated as to be almost non-existent to a casual observer.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How do I describe this issue? (Flickering/144Hz/AMD)

Post by RealNC » 06 Feb 2017, 01:39

The monitor might have inversion issues.

Can you test here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern

Go through the various patterns (there's back/forward buttons in the upper left.)

Some panels are worse at this than others. Sometimes you can improve on it by changing the monitor's contrast or slightly change the RGB values.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How do I describe this issue? (Flickering/144Hz/AMD)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Feb 2017, 06:25

The shape of the pattern -- it a flickering checkerboard-pattern that you see in things like solid color? It can help confirm whether this is the issue or not.

Additional links in addition to RealNC on the same issue: More articles related to LCD inversion artifacts, which sometimes affects some models of 120Hz+ monitors much more visibly than 60Hz monitors.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion
http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html#inversion
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!