Asus eyecare monitors for low blue light and flicker-free

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
VinDiesel756

Asus eyecare monitors for low blue light and flicker-free

Post by VinDiesel756 » 09 Feb 2017, 07:42

Hello,
i would like to ask, if asus eyecare monitors are any special, or if it is marketing crap.
I couldn't find any tests.
I am using asus vg248qe, with flux and lower temps to reduce blue level, but i can't use at the same time strobelight: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... and-NVIDIA
Because it is to dark even on 100% strobelight brightness and even after editing in nvidia panels, it is to dark and i can't use flux at the same time, because it is preventing me from changing brightness, contrast, gamma manaualy + i don't like temps, i have no idea how would i set appromimatelly same temps, which i used without strobelight, since it made some changes and it doesn't looke like normal r 100 g 100 and b 100.
Also gama is atrocious...
So is this asus miracle any good, i have specifically on mind one piece: ASUS VZ229H, or it can be anything else.
I just want best possible monitorfor eye care and reduce eye strain.
Thanks for suggestions.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Asus eyecare monitors for low blue light and flicker-fre

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Feb 2017, 15:48

Hello!

The EyeCare monitors is basically "F.lux" built into the monitor. So are the BENQ equivalents. So it's as good as F.lux in helping out. If F.lux helps you then yes EyeCare works for you, as it's essentially the same technique. But it can go above and beyond by being PWM-free. (VG248QE is not PWM-free, though).

Reducing blue light is a good way to reduce eyestrain for a lot of people, but there can also be many eyestrain causes.

Do you get more eyestrain from motion blur? Or more eyestrain from flicker? Most of the time, PWM creates more eyestrain than motion blur does, but there are also people around here who gets more eyestrain from motion blur -- and get less eyestrain from a blur reduction mode (strobe-backlight, LightBoost) can be very beneficial.

Instead of LightBoost, there are now newer monitors (e.g. ULMB) that are adjustable in color and color temperature (to warmer colors).

The good news is that you do have the option on many models. If you get a newer model with ULMB *and* also the eye-friendly features, you can toggle between all of them. You wouldn't need to constantly run F.lux all the time either. On some models you can combine low-blue-light and ULMB, but you can't have PWM-free and ULMB enabled at the same time (since ULMB, is, by definition a flickering strobe backlight designed to eliminate LCD motion blur).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 15 Mar 2017, 14:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Hello!

The EyeCare monitors is basically "F.lux" built into the monitor. So are the BENQ equivalents. So it's as good as F.lux in helping out. If F.lux helps you then yes EyeCare works for you, as it's essentially the same technique. But it can go above and beyond by being PWM-free. (VG248QE is not PWM-free, though).

Reducing blue light is a good way to reduce eyestrain for a lot of people, but there can also be many eyestrain causes.

Do you get more eyestrain from motion blur? Or more eyestrain from flicker? Most of the time, PWM creates more eyestrain than motion blur does, but there are also people around here who gets more eyestrain from motion blur -- and get less eyestrain from a blur reduction mode (strobe-backlight, LightBoost) can be very beneficial.

Instead of LightBoost, there are now newer monitors (e.g. ULMB) that are adjustable in color and color temperature (to warmer colors).

The good news is that you do have the option on many models. If you get a newer model with ULMB *and* also the eye-friendly features, you can toggle between all of them. You wouldn't need to constantly run F.lux all the time either. On some models you can combine low-blue-light and ULMB, but you can't have PWM-free and ULMB enabled at the same time (since ULMB, is, by definition a flickering strobe backlight designed to eliminate LCD motion blur).

I bought the ASUS VG248QE and was having some eye pain / headaches, but my eyes did seem to get used to the monitor after about a week.

I ordered the BenQ XL2430 and compared the VG248QE to the XL2430 side by side using the same program on each (world of warcraft login screen) using display ports with both monitors running 144hz. My eyes seemed to like the BenQ XL2430 more as they didn't get sore and I didn't get headaches after long game play. However, the VG248QE did seem to have a more dynamic gaming experience. I matched up the ASUS and BenQ colors / brightness so that they looked identical and while the BenQ looked just as good, the ASUS graphics had very slightly better fine detail when looking close. However, one difference that stuck out to me was that the game play on the ASUS had a dynamic feel to it that made it feel more real (it's hard to explain).

I wound up returning the VG248QE because the BenQ is flicker free / PWM free but I feel like I could be missing out on a more quality gaming experience by using an ASUS.

The above brings me to the question, are any of the ASUS's PWM free, flicker free?

-

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Mar 2017, 14:48

Why did you buy such an old monitor? The VG248QE is over 5 years old now, and many new models have replaced it, with have Gsync, Freesync, and are all PWM free. The VG248QE was known for having outstanding overdrive quality but extremely good settings Asus used (provided you let the monitor warm up first), and extremely low ghosting in Lightboost mode, but had serious issues with gamma degradation as the refresh rate increased (ICC Profiles are usually ignored by fullscreen exclusive games).

The XL2430T has its own issues, namely the S-switch being almost useless, because the presets the S-switch buttons are linked to: Gamer 1, Gamer 2 and Gamer 3, are HARDWIRED to the low level color calibration settings for FPS1, FPS2 and RTS mode, even if you save another mode over it (e.g. standard mode), when you recall the mode (e.g. Standard mode saved into Gamer 1 preset), you wind up getting the OSD settings for Standard mode, used in the FPS1 color preset, which totally throws off the image quality you were expecting to get. This behavior did not exist in the XL2720Z, XL2420Z, XL2411Z (presets but no S-switch), and still has not been fixed in the latest firmware.

Knowing Benq, they probably "Fixed" this silently in the XL2730Z and XL2735 and XL2540, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same bug still exists in these newer screens.

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 15 Mar 2017, 15:19

Falkentyne wrote: The XL2430T has its own issues, namely the S-switch being almost useless, because the presets the S-switch buttons are linked to: Gamer 1, Gamer 2 and Gamer 3, are HARDWIRED to the low level color calibration settings for FPS1, FPS2 and RTS mode, even if you save another mode over it (e.g. standard mode), when you recall the mode (e.g. Standard mode saved into Gamer 1 preset), you wind up getting the OSD settings for Standard mode, used in the FPS1 color preset, which totally throws off the image quality you were expecting to get. This behavior did not exist in the XL2720Z, XL2420Z, XL2411Z (presets but no S-switch), and still has not been fixed in the latest firmware.

Knowing Benq, they probably "Fixed" this silently in the XL2730Z and XL2735 and XL2540, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same bug still exists in these newer screens.
What would the best way to test this on the XL2540 I can let you know here the next 6hrs if that still happens.

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 15 Mar 2017, 15:31

Falkentyne wrote:Why did you buy such an old monitor? The VG248QE is over 5 years old now, and many new models have replaced it, with have Gsync, Freesync, and are all PWM free. The VG248QE was known for having outstanding overdrive quality but extremely good settings Asus used (provided you let the monitor warm up first), and extremely low ghosting in Lightboost mode, but had serious issues with gamma degradation as the refresh rate increased (ICC Profiles are usually ignored by fullscreen exclusive games).

The XL2430T has its own issues, namely the S-switch being almost useless, because the presets the S-switch buttons are linked to: Gamer 1, Gamer 2 and Gamer 3, are HARDWIRED to the low level color calibration settings for FPS1, FPS2 and RTS mode, even if you save another mode over it (e.g. standard mode), when you recall the mode (e.g. Standard mode saved into Gamer 1 preset), you wind up getting the OSD settings for Standard mode, used in the FPS1 color preset, which totally throws off the image quality you were expecting to get. This behavior did not exist in the XL2720Z, XL2420Z, XL2411Z (presets but no S-switch), and still has not been fixed in the latest firmware.

Thanks for the response Falkentyne. I didn't want to spend more than $280 USD for a monitor and the VG248QE was being pushed heavily at Bestbuy. I also didn't know enough about monitors I guess to make a better decision and after spent 10+ hours doing research online for a good gaming monitor under $300, the XL2430 (minus all of the issues I keep hearing about) and the VG248QE (minus the PWM and flicker) seemed to be the best options.

Should I be gaming in Standard mode or on Gamer mode on the XL2430?

Do you have a better monitor option for me for gaming if I'm going for quality (very nice graphics / dynamic picture) with excellent eye care for under $300? I have 3 weeks left to return the XL2430 if needed.

Thanks

-