Acer GN246HL -- is 3d emitter/lightboost hack removable?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
spiroth10

Acer GN246HL -- is 3d emitter/lightboost hack removable?

Post by spiroth10 » 20 Feb 2017, 05:09

just got one of these cheap monitors, and I know they have ghosting issues

I tend to like CRTs anyway, and probably will want to leave this on all the time, but just in case I had to remove the lightboost hack I'm wondering if you can or not, seeing as these monitors are glitched and you basically have to hack them to enable the lightboost with the 3d emitter trick.

is it just as simple as uninstalling the hack and switching back to 144 hz, or will I be like, stuck with lightboost on forever?

just wondering.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer GN246HL -- is 3d emitter/lightboost hack removable?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2017, 19:44

You can simply use a Custom Resolution Utility and have multiple modes installed -- switch between 144Hz for non-strobed and 120Hz for LightBoost. So you can switch refresh rates to turn on/off LightBoost.

There's an even easier way to use the 3D emitter hack. Instead of installing the INF file, install ToastyX CRU and change device ID to "ACI27F8". That does exactly the same thing as installing the EDID Override INF file. To uninstall it, simply restore the device ID to the old one.

Follow the rest of the LightBoost EDID Override HOWTO (except that you're editing the device ID via CRU, instead of installing the INF file)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 20 Feb 2017, 20:31

That monitor has Lightboost permanently unlocked in its firmware. So unlike other monitors, there is no need to have an Nvidia card installed and 3d vision drivers to force a DDC unlock of Lightboost capability, and no need to have any extra programs. You don't even need to delete the custom resolutions actually. You just need the following vertical total values:

100hz: VT 1138
110hz: VT 1143
120hz: VT 1149.

These vertical total values tell the monitor to enter "3d" mode.
So if you want to use Lightboost, you need custom resolutions with these vertical totals matching for the refresh rate.

The STANDARD refresh rates without Lightboost are:
100hz: VT 1133
110hz: VT (I have no idea, who uses 110hz?)
120hz: VT 1144

Basically, the "Lightboost" VT's are equal to the normal VT + 5.

Note that Lightboost has a provision for refresh rates lower than 100hz. it actually can go down to 50hz, but it will DOUBLE STROBE from 50hz to 85hz. It's virtually impossible without an Nvidia video card (without the "select when display is in 3d mode--always) to get 50hz and 85hz to strobe. It is possible to get 60hz to strobe with a VT between 1155-1180, this depends on the monitor however.

You can use ToastyX CRU to create "LCD automatic" timings for the DESIRED refresh rate first, and then change it to manual and edit the VT.

If you don't want to bother deleting stuff. create a 1920x1080@99hz refresh rate with VT 1138. That will activate LB at 99hz and normal mode at 100hz, and games won't know the difference between 99hz and 100hz.

For 120hz, use VT 1149. If you want a non strobed 120hz mode, make a **120.5hz** custom resolution with default VT (1144) for 120hz. Then select 121hz in the resolution/refresh rate menu and you will still be at 120 fps.
Last edited by Falkentyne on 20 Feb 2017, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2017, 21:27

Falkentyne, thank you!

I sent you a PM, I need your help.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sampris

Post by sampris » 31 Dec 2018, 04:58

hi guys, doing this can i actually use 3d vision glasses without the EMITTER????
thx!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2018, 13:45

sampris wrote:hi guys, doing this can i actually use 3d vision glasses without the EMITTER????
thx!
No. The 3D glasses needs to synchronize perfectly to the refresh cycles.

You will likely need to purchase an emitter.

sampris

Post by sampris » 01 Jan 2019, 03:37

also doing this thing (changing to 120hz, put the asus ID and get green light in the Acer GN246HL) i detect a hugh image quality and colors decline, this is normal ?
pros: less ghosting, better keyboard/image reactions
cons: poor colors, poor contrast, poor quality