The XL2540 - worth it?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
b0t

The XL2540 - worth it?

Post by b0t » 26 Feb 2017, 12:55

Hi, anyone with the XL2540, can you share your experiences / opinions on it? Im really looking into buying this model and I need some final recommendations from users here who bought and tried it out.

Would it for example be limited by my PC ? (GTX 980 + 4790K here)
I dont intend on trying to go 240fps in the newest games, I play CS:GO more than anything atm, of course I enjoy the ocassional singleplayer game but obviously not in 240Hz mode.. will my specs be an issue ?

I really need a bit of convincing because I was looking towards the 27" a lot more, (2720Z specifically) but the 240Hz and the pictures provided in the thread here really made me question my choice and research a bit about the 2540 to be honest, especially once I found out it can strobe (didn't fully understand if V1 has some kind of a bug from what Ive read and that the intensity setting doesnt change anything whether its 1 or 25 ?)

I would be happy for you guys to expand a bit on the topic as Im really willing to pay what this monitor costs instead of my other choice. :geek: :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: The XL2540 - worth it?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2017, 13:35

Games like Counterstrike GO and older games will easily run a beautiful 240fps on your GTX980 on any of the new 240Hz monitors.

XL2540 has FreeSync range 48Hz through 240Hz, so that can help your low-framerate games, just keep it above 48fps to prevent stutter.

I observe you have a Geforce, so you are better suited for G-SYNC. The use of G-SYNC and FreeSync allows you to have stutter-free transitions between framerate changes, like this TestUFO animation simulation of G-SYNC .... If you like to have this feature of eliminate jarring transitions between framerates -- then you want to ideally match your GeForce to a GSYNC monitor, or your Radeon to a FreeSync monitor. It makes low framerates look much better.

Also, if you are a motion clarity fan, keep in mind that strobed 120Hz (ULMB, LightBoost, dyAC, etc) will have less motion blur than non-strobed 240Hz. That said, different monitors have better implementations of strobed modes.

For perfect framerate-refreshrate locked motion (120fps@120Hz), the use of strobing (blur reduction) for 120Hz can visually look better than non-strobed 240Hz BUT there is more input lag than with 240Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

b0t

Post by b0t » 26 Feb 2017, 13:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Games like Counterstrike GO and older games will easily run a beautiful 240fps on your GTX980 on any of the new 240Hz monitors.

XL2540 has FreeSync range 48Hz through 240Hz, so that can help your low-framerate games, just keep it above 48fps to prevent stutter.

I observe you have a Geforce, so you are better suited for G-SYNC. The use of G-SYNC and FreeSync allows you to have stutter-free transitions between framerate changes, like this TestUFO animation simulation of G-SYNC .... If you like to have this feature of eliminate jarring transitions between framerates -- then you want to ideally match your GeForce to a GSYNC monitor, or your Radeon to a FreeSync monitor. It makes low framerates look much better.

Also, if you are a motion clarity fan, keep in mind that strobed 120Hz (ULMB, LightBoost, dyAC, etc) will have less motion blur than non-strobed 240Hz. That said, different monitors have better implementations of strobed modes.

For perfect framerate-refreshrate locked motion (120fps@120Hz), the use of strobing (blur reduction) for 120Hz can visually look better than non-strobed 240Hz BUT there is more input lag than with 240Hz.
Hi Chief ! thank you for the fast comment, informative and helpful as always, I actually am a BIG fan of strobing, had a lightboost monitor till not long ago, VG248QE @ 120hz strobed @ 10% and it was just the best thing Ive ever experienced.

And as I'd like to renew, and more than that, was really looking into Benq (their Blur Reduction technology) I narrowed it down to two models, as I already mentioned.

So what would u say about the XL2540 concerning ghosting, getting the clearest picture with MBR ; etc .. does this monitor capable of providing me with what I need? how is it compared to the 2720Z (say latest firmware, I read that first ones were actually terrible compared to the newer V4/5)

EDIT : I've also read that with the XL2450 best picture clarity can be reached with 180Hz strobed and some VT tweaks, is it really so? 180 strobed sounds quite amazing to me

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2017, 14:20

Reportedly, yes, 180Hz strobed is what looks best on the XL2540.

I have not personally seen it in action at the moment, so I am unable to comment. There are clearly pros/cons of sticking to TN and pushing panel limits hard -- color quality will never be as good as TN or OLED -- but it is motion clarity par excellence. A little harder to adjust than LightBoost (due to Vertical Total tweak needed) but you get a lot of benefits. You already had a VG248QE, so you're already familiar with the pros/cons.

As you probably already learned, Blur Reduction modes (strobe-flashed backlights) such as LightBoost, ULMB, dyAC, etc -- works best at a refresh rate lower than the monitor's maximum, due to its requirement for longer pauses between refresh cycles to accomodate LCD GtG response limitations (by hiding the LCD transitions in the dark periods between the strobe backlight flashes). The more the LCD transistions (GtG response limitatons) is hidden in the dark period between the strobes, the less ghosting/crosstalk you see in motion during Blur Reduction modes.

That said, by general strobed experience, I can say 180Hz strobe-backlight is much more flicker free than 120Hz strobe, and there's noticeably less stroboscopic artifacting (stepping effects, wagon wheel effects, etc) during fast framerate-refreshrate locked motion. If you are one of the few people to push an old CRT monitor to 160Hz+, you already have a rough idea.

I am not sure how clear XL2540 looks compared to LightBoost 10%, as reportedly the strobe length is not adjustable. However, it already uses fairly short strobe flashes and may already match the strobe length of LightBoost 10% (testing will be needed).

We have plans to purchase an XL2540 this spring for detailed testing. Keep tuned!

If you wish, support Blur Busters: XL2540 via Amazon
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

b0t

Post by b0t » 26 Feb 2017, 14:35

To be honest on my old Asus I didn't VT tweak but on BenQ monitors I read its kind of a must to reduce the crosstalk as much as possible , and I will surely do so.

as far as color quality goes, it seems to interest me to a far lesser extent than the motion clarity experience in fast FPS games (ex-QL/CoD1/2/4 player here) as well as the input lag sacrifice behind it which is something that I - since always - am willing to go for.. many people do not even see the difference in input lag when looking at 144 non-strobed vs. 120 strobed (even at 10%) I didn't at all for that matter.. these few negligible milliseconds (IIRC) .. correct me if Im wrong though, after all you're the expert

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2017, 14:42

b0t wrote:To be honest on my old Asus I didn't VT tweak but on BenQ monitors I read its kind of a must to reduce the crosstalk as much as possible , and I will surely do so.
Yes, it's a requirement to improve quality of Blur Reduction that doesn't do it automatically.

NVIDIA-developed strobe technologies such as LightBoost/ULMB automatically uses large sync intevals internally already.
(They do it by partially buffering the input before doing an accelerated scanout - a faster individual refresh cycle with longer pauses between refresh cycles).

However several manufacturer in-house strobe backlights -- including BENQ Blur Reduction & dyAC -- benefits hugely from manually doing Large Vertical Totals (via Custom Resolution Utilities) via the graphics card. The larger the Vertical Total, the more ghosting-free the Blur Reduction becomes.

Also, 180Hz strobe generally has less lag than 120Hz strobe for the same panel technology (e.g. TN versus TN).

b0t

Post by b0t » 26 Feb 2017, 14:47

I understand.

What about the BenQ Blur Reduction Utility ? I guess it doesnt support this model, will I be able to modify the strobe phase & duty in some other way? do these settings exist in the service menu like previous models ? sorry if u already talked about it and I missed it

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2017, 14:58

As I haven't had a chance to play with this model -- YET -- I apologize I am not yet familiar enough with the XL2540 strobe backlight to make comments to it.

One thing I want to test is play with ALL picture settings (contrast, brightness, intensity, etc) to see if any of them shortens the strobe length. However, several users have done several adjustments and tests in the Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz thread (later pageS).

b0t

Post by b0t » 26 Feb 2017, 15:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:As I haven't had a chance to play with this model -- YET -- I apologize I am not yet familiar enough with the XL2540 strobe backlight to make comments to it.

One thing I want to test is play with ALL picture settings (contrast, brightness, intensity, etc) to see if any of them shortens the strobe length. However, several users have done several adjustments and tests in the Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz thread (later pageS).
Afraid I wont have the time to wait till u get one of these to test out , bcuz Im going to the Netherlands for a trip on March 16th and plan to get the monitor there as local stores prices are actually WACKY where I live (this one costs more than 950$ here - YES I AM SERIOUS even though I myself find it hard to believe sometimes.. Everything associated with electronics here is just crazy overpriced so I always go abroad and get stuff there..)

So I guess Ill need to take a "leap of faith" about this one :D :D

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 26 Feb 2017, 16:01

Why don't some of us chip in and get Chief an XL2735 and XL2540 to play with? Then maybe that will help Benq release some firmware for it too. I'd chip in $50.