Buying 144hz monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
hardhit

Buying 144hz monitor

Post by hardhit » 14 Mar 2017, 16:41

Helloo, everybody. I've been waiting for a good moment to purchase a high refresh rate monitor and these are my possible options:
1) lg 24gm77
2) Acer Predator XB240Hbmjdpr
3) benq zowie xl2411

I've read a lot about the extra tweaking and would like to avoid doing that. I game on Gtx 1060@3gb counter strike mainly, but would like to also watch movies sometimes, so colours could be decent. Which would be the best option?

If possible, could someone also explain why are lightboost/das or motion240 needed and if it's possible to play without them? And which one of the monitors would have the least strain on eyes

Thank you

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Buying 144hz monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2017, 17:24

Hello,

For an explanation of Blur Reduction (LightBoost) benefits, see 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost.

First, look at this motion found at http://www.testufo.com/ghosting

This is what you see at 60Hz:

This is what you see at 120Hz:

This is what you see with Blur Reduction / Strobe Backlight (LightBoost, BENQ Blur Reduction, ULMB, etc)

Strobe backlights eliminates LCD motion blur by turning off during GtG transitions, and flashing only on fully refreshed frames, as seen in High Speed Video of LightBoost. It refreshes more similar to a 120Hz CRT.

They are optional and can be turned ON/OFF. Flicker-free for least eyestrain for flicker sensitivity, and strobed for people who get eyestrain from motion blur. (Different people get eyestrain from different causes; we have Forum members who actually get eyestrain from motion blur). It mainly helps benefits eye-tracking-based situations, for specific games where you need to track eyes during motion.

There are several brand names of Blur Reduction strobe backlights:
LightBoost is the original. The very first good Blur Reduction mode for a gaming monitor. Requires hacks or utilities.
ULMB provides the easiest blur reduction experience (just turn on/off by OSD menus). It is found in GSYNC monitors.
BENQ Blur Reduction provides the most flexible blur reduction experience working at nearly all refresh rates, but requires complicated tweaks (e.g. VT1350) to look really good.

BENQ XL2411 uses "BENQ Blur Reduction"
Acer Predator XB240H uses "ULMB" (Ultra Low Motion Blur)
LG 24GM77 uses "MOTION240"

If you plan to use a Blur Reduction mode -- we suggest avoiding the early versions of MOTION240 (at least LG24GM77) since it has excessive amounts of strobe crosstalk that negate the experience. However, you don't ever plan to use the optional strobed mode, then it does not matter nearly as much.

Also, Acer Predator has an additional pro: It has GSYNC, which allows you to have smooth motion during variable framerates. This might fall in your favour.

For comparison convenience, here are Amazon links of the monitors you mentioned:
- LG 24GM77 on Amazon.com
- Acer Predator XB240H on Amazon.com
- BENQ Zowie XL2411 on Amazon.com
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hardhit

Post by hardhit » 16 Mar 2017, 23:23

Thank you for the reply, however this acer model http://www.skytech.lt/umfb0ee001-acer-p ... #tabsnav-1 doesn't include gsync. I've googled it different at shops and there's no gsync mentioned.

About motion 240, do you mean I should avoid completely buying LG 24gm77 or there's a firmware update for these and I should aim to get the monitor with newest firmware? I don't mind getting the benq one, but it had reviews about slightly worse colors and lack of display port

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Mar 2017, 23:37

SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

hardhit

Post by hardhit » 17 Mar 2017, 08:40

I've checked your thread, thanks. After finding the term double image caused by double strobbing, I've checked in google photos and saw what you mean. However my question is still not answered, is it present on all 24gm77 monitors while using motion 240, are we capable of upgrading LG's firmware to fix the artifacts or it's totally broken

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2017, 22:13

hardhit wrote:I've checked your thread, thanks. After finding the term double image caused by double strobbing, I've checked in google photos and saw what you mean. However my question is still not answered, is it present on all 24gm77 monitors while using motion 240, are we capable of upgrading LG's firmware to fix the artifacts or it's totally broken
The LG 24GM77 is a good monitor but it's not good for strobe-backlight. While MOTION240 is brighter, it achieves that by leaving the backlight on during LCD GtG transitions -- leading to the double-image effects during motion. There is no fix available if you want CRT-clarity motion (single image with minimum ghosting).

From a strobe crosstalk perspective -- NVIDIA (ULMB/LightBoost) & Samsung currently makes the best out-of-the-box strobe backlights at the moment, while BENQ has the most customizable/tweakable strobe backlight. Samsung gaming monitors ranks among the best in motion clarity during strobed mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hardhit

Post by hardhit » 18 Mar 2017, 03:38

After you explained, Im leaning towards the benq, samsung seems to be too much for my budget. Is there any other reason besides display port to pick xl2430 over xl2411?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 18 Mar 2017, 04:23

hardhit wrote:After you explained, Im leaning towards the benq, samsung seems to be too much for my budget. Is there any other reason besides display port to pick xl2430 over xl2411?
Visual design, handle & s-switch. tbh it's useless for most.

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 20 Mar 2017, 11:52

hardhit wrote:After you explained, Im leaning towards the benq, samsung seems to be too much for my budget. Is there any other reason besides display port to pick xl2430 over xl2411?
Hey Hardhit, did you make a decision yet? I don't want to sway you one way or another but I just posted my monitor search status in the following thread:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 029#p25029

--

hardhit

Post by hardhit » 22 Mar 2017, 13:42

Im saving up, will buy in one month or so.. it's either benq xl2411, lg 24gm77 or aoc ag241qx. The aoc one is 1440p + 144hz, but in 24'. Here it costs 350 euro. While benq strobing is tempting me a lot, gonna take the one that has best performance+color wise. It would be best to visit a store that has all of them and compare the colors side by side. Also don't look at the old asus, so much negative comments about it. Not saying it's bad because I don't have any 144hz yet.