Please help - Best 144hz gaming monitor

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
LaskoAA

Re: Please help - Best 144hz gaming monitor

Post by LaskoAA » 20 Mar 2017, 16:14

RealNC wrote:There's also the AOC G2460PG. Normally with AOC monitors the major issue is their very bad overdrive. However, with G-Sync it's NVidia that does the overdrive implementation (it's handled by the G-Sync module,) so for this monitor it might actually be not too bad.

There's the Dell S2417DG. 1440p though. At 24" is has a VERY high pixel density. The apparent resolution is so high that you might not even need anti-aliasing anymore in games. However, the desktop is unusable without something like 150% DPI scaling enabled in Windows. And it's more expensive (but less expensive than the Asus PG248Q, which is interesting.) And playing at 1080p will probably still result in a blurry picture because of NVidia's bad GPU scaling quality (G-Sync cannot do scaling on its own; GPU scaling is the only option.) However, anything rendered at such a high DPI in the native resolution looks amazing. Not recommended without at least a 980Ti or 1070 though for modern games. Older games pose no problem, obviously. This monitor might actually be the "best bang for the buck" option simply because it's the only 24" with such a high resolution and G-Sync and 165Hz refresh rate.

Another one is the AOC AG241QG, which is also 1440p, but... it's AOC. And it's more expensive than the Dell :-P

And I think it's worth researching the Acer XB240H. Even if you don't like Acer, it doesn't mean it's a bad monitor.

If I was going for a 24", I would probably go with the Dell. If I had a good return policy from the store I buy from, I'd try the AOC G2460PG first simply because it's the cheapest. If I wasn't satisfied, I'd return it and only then get the Dell.

I'm seeing that some of these monitor suggestions are LED. Isn't TN the better way to go since it's faster?

-

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Mar 2017, 16:31

LED is the backlight, not the panel. All of these monitors (and generally all monitors made in the last 5 years or so) use a LED backlight regardless of what kind of panel they have.

When it comes to panels, there's different types (TN, IPS, VA, and variations thereof.) TN used to be the choice of panel for gaming monitors, but not anymore. I'm using an IPS for example that does 165Hz and has better response than a TN 144Hz I have used in the past, even though the IPS's specs say "4ms" while the TN's specs say "1ms". So on paper the TN looks better for gaming, but in practice this particular IPS has less motion artifacts (no ghosting) and thus clearer motion than the TN, even though one would expect the opposite to be true.

So these days, TN should not be considered the best choice for games anymore. It can be, but it depends on the specific monitor. Some TN monitors are excellent for gaming, some are not. Some IPS monitors are excellent, some are not. It's not clear cut.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 20 Mar 2017, 16:36

RealNC wrote:LED is the backlight, not the panel. All of these monitors (and generally all monitors made in the last 5 years or so) use a LED backlight regardless of what kind of panel they have.

When it comes to panels, there's different types (TN, IPS, VA, and variations thereof.) TN used to be the choice of panel for gaming monitors, but not anymore. I'm using an IPS for example that does 165Hz and has better response than a TN 144Hz I have used in the past.

What monitor are you using?

-

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Mar 2017, 16:40

LaskoAA wrote:What monitor are you using?
It's a ViewSonic XG2703-GS. But I didn't suggest that monitor because the $450 suggestions I made in this thread are already past your initial budget of $300.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 20 Mar 2017, 16:55

RealNC wrote:
It's a ViewSonic XG2703-GS. But I didn't suggest that monitor because the $450 suggestions I made in this thread are already past your initial budget of $300.
That's a nice one. Ok thanks for the info, I'm going to research the ones that you suggested.

-

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 22 Mar 2017, 13:10

RealNC wrote:

Do you know anything about the BenQ XL2420G? This appears to have everything (g-sync, etc...).

-

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Mar 2017, 13:21

If you don't mind poorer colors than IPS, then yes... the BENQ XL2420G is indeed quite excellent all-around if you want maximum flexiblity of many modes.

-- You want the option of ultra-low-lag (fully eSports competitive gaming ready! BENQ is a well known sponsor)
-- You want the option of GSYNC
-- You want the option of NVIDIA ULMB Blur Reduction (85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz), easy toggle
-- You want the option of BENQ Blur Reduction (any refresh rate), flexible but harder to adjust
-- It supports single-strobe 60Hz if you need to play with gaming consoles. (Very flickery, but some people prefer it).

Please note, BENQ's Blur Reduction out-of-box is more optimized for a different goals than strobe crosstalk / ULMB. For BENQ Blur Reduction it supports all refresh rate, but you will need to recalibrate and use the VT1350 trick. Or you can go 'easy' and just simply turn on ULMB (85, 100, 120Hz only) for easier blur reduction. It essentially has a two-in-one firmware; the NVIDIA GSYNC firmware (with ULMB toggle), and the Classic BENQ firmware (with BENQ Blur Reduction toggles)

If you want better color quality, you may prefer IPS/VA. But that is not always everybody's priority. Yes, it can be a tough decision if you are new ;)

If you care very much about many "Better Than 60Hz" features and don't mind TN quality... Then very few monitors have the flexibility of BENQ's XL2420G. However, it is currently superseded by newer BENQ monitors. But if your store still has it in stock, it's a very good competitive-gaming option especially if on sale -- and you get all the extra features for different kinds of gaming.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LaskoAA

Post by LaskoAA » 22 Mar 2017, 13:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you don't mind poorer colors than IPS, then yes... the BENQ XL2420G is indeed quite excellent all-around if you want maximum flexiblity of many modes.

-- You want the option of ultra-low-lag (fully eSports competitive gaming ready! BENQ is a well known sponsor)
-- You want the option of GSYNC
-- You want the option of NVIDIA ULMB Blur Reduction (85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz), easy toggle
-- You want the option of BENQ Blur Reduction (any refresh rate), flexible but harder to adjust
-- It supports single-strobe 60Hz if you need to play with gaming consoles. (Very flickery, but some people prefer it).

Please note, BENQ's Blur Reduction out-of-box is more optimized for a different goals than strobe crosstalk / ULMB. For BENQ Blur Reduction it supports all refresh rate, but you will need to recalibrate and use the VT1350 trick. Or you can go 'easy' and just simply turn on ULMB (85, 100, 120Hz only) for easier blur reduction. It essentially has a two-in-one firmware; the NVIDIA GSYNC firmware (with ULMB toggle), and the Classic BENQ firmware (with BENQ Blur Reduction toggles)

If you want better color quality, you may prefer IPS/VA. But that is not always everybody's priority. Yes, it can be a tough decision if you are new ;)

If you care very much about many "Better Than 60Hz" features and don't mind TN quality... Then very few monitors have the flexibility of BENQ's XL2420G. However, it is currently superseded by newer BENQ monitors. But if your store still has it in stock, it's a very good competitive-gaming option especially if on sale -- and you get all the extra features for different kinds of gaming.

One more question if you don't mind. Is the XL2420G better than the XL2430?

-

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Mar 2017, 22:05

LaskoAA wrote:One more question if you don't mind. Is the XL2420G better than the XL2430?
Depends on what you're looking for.

Image quality: Virtually same
ultra-low-lag: Virtually same
GSYNC: doesn't have it
ULMB: doesn't have it
BENQ Blur Reduction: Similar except it doesn't have single-strobe 60Hz

If you don't care about GSYNC/ULMB/Single-strobe, and you can find the XL2430 for a better price, then it can be easier to obtain the XL2430.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 23 Mar 2017, 01:11

XL2420G Also uses a very old Gsync module firmware, which is not capable of doing ULMB+Gsync simultaneously. Most of the NEWER Gsync 144hz+ monitors can do ULMB and Gsync at the same time successfully. Keep this in mind because that is truly a BLUR BUSTING experience.