Is this translucent trailing normal during a motion test?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Clemxii

Is this translucent trailing normal during a motion test?

Post by Clemxii » 16 Mar 2017, 15:35

I recently got a Viewsonic XG2401 and I'm curious if what I'm seeing on the motion test is normal or some type of issue.

At 960 default pixels at 120hz, if I look/focus on the blackbaground while the ufo's are crossing, I can see a translucent/ghost type trail behind the UFO, basically a translucent half the UFO just mildly extending off the back of the UFO. Not exactly sure what this is or if it's normal. Maybe my eyes are messed up as well, so I don't know.

Does anyone else see this or can reproduce what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is this translucent trailing normal during a motion test

Post by RealNC » 16 Mar 2017, 16:25

Sounds like normal LCD ghosting or reverse ghosting. LCD panels employ a technique called "overdrive" in order to reduce this effect.

What's your overdrive setting in the monitor's OSD? If you set it to "Ultra Fast", it will overshoot way too much and result in reverse ghosting. That's true for virtually every monitor out there.

I think on this monitor, the overdrive setting is labeled "response time". If it's either completely off or maxed out at "ultra", then yeah, this is the result you get. You should use a medium setting. Usually one step below max works well. But test them all out and see what looks better for you on the test ufo page.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2017, 17:14

Check these out:

LCD Motion Artifacts 101
LCD Overdrive Artifacts 101

These are images of trails during www.testufo.com/ghosting

It is often normal for many LCDs. Some LCDs can be adjusted (overdrive settings).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Clemxii

Post by Clemxii » 16 Mar 2017, 18:16

RealNC wrote:Sounds like normal LCD ghosting or reverse ghosting. LCD panels employ a technique called "overdrive" in order to reduce this effect.

What's your overdrive setting in the monitor's OSD? If you set it to "Ultra Fast", it will overshoot way too much and result in reverse ghosting. That's true for virtually every monitor out there.

I think on this monitor, the overdrive setting is labeled "response time". If it's either completely off or maxed out at "ultra", then yeah, this is the result you get. You should use a medium setting. Usually one step below max works well. But test them all out and see what looks better for you on the test ufo page.
Thanks for the response. It was on the medium setting, but neither of the 3 affected what I was seeing, it only affected the actual UFO look (going max made it discolored for example towards the back).

I don't actually see the trailing when looking at the UFO itself and tracking it, only if I'm looked at the darkbackground, so I'm not sure what this is.

It doesn't look like anything here: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts/

It's as best as I can describe, just a non-colorless (so think a white/translucent only) type of blur/extension of the UFO. I see it on 120, 60 and 30fps as well. From what I saw the reverse ghosting is quite bright and color is off, and ghosting still shows some color/features of the UFo from the examples, when what I'm seeing is simply a translucent/white looking trail lagging behind trying to catch up it seems.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2017, 22:26

Are you able to take a photo?

Discolorations during trailing motion can occur on many displays, e.g. blue trailing VA panels, phosphor trails on high-persistence plasma/CRTs, etc.

Some displays have unusually intense coronas (inverse ghosting), much more intense than the LCD Overdrive Artifacts images.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Mar 2017, 22:53

Do you have ULMB or another blur-reduction method enabled? Because then it can look like this:

(There's a faint "ghost" trailing behind.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Mar 2017, 14:19

RealNC yes, good pursuit camera photo of moderate strobe crosstalk. (TFTcentral, right?)

So, to help readers understand:

Strobe Crosstalk -- Double Images During Blur Reduction

If you enable Blur Reduction, you may see a new kind of ghosting artifact called "strobe crosstalk".

This strobe crosstalk found in Blur Reduction can be much fainter on some good ULMB/LightBoost/Samsung displays (almost non-existent for center of screen) but a slight amount of strobe crosstalk is normal in motion tests for many ULMB displays.

It is also much worse than this on some displays (e.g. un-calibrated BENQ) but fixable (e.g. calibrated BENQ + VT1350). For some displays it is much worse than this & unfixable (e.g. LG24GM77 MOTION240, and Version 1 firmware of early XL2720Z monitors).

Bad: maximum strobe crosstalk
(Bugged strobing, such as early LG MOTION240 or Version 1 of uncalibrated BENQ Blur Reduction. Can makes gaming look visually worse)

Average: acceptable strobe crosstalk
(Typical ULMB at maximum brightness & maximum contrast ratio, typical TN/IPS/VA strobing. Usually not as easily noticed during gaming)

Good: nearly invisible strobe crosstalk
(Samsung 120Hz+ gaming monitors, ASUS VG248QE LightBoost, good TN strobing. This CRT clarity is very sought after by motion-clarity geeks.)

Some monitors can switch between Good-vs-Average simply by adjusting brightness/contrast. Reduce contrast while raising brightness a bit, to have grayer blacks and dimmer whites. Dynamic-range compression can remove ghosting during strobing. Also some monitors can change overdrive settings during stroving, which might switch between Average/Good. And the use of tricks like Blur Busters Strobe Utility + VT1350 on BENQ Blur Reduction can switch from "Bad" to "Average".

Also, strobe crosstalk can be very different for top/bottom edges versus middle of screen. Even some monitors with "Good" often only have "Average"/"Bad" at bottom edge and/or very top edge.

wiraxbox363

Post by wiraxbox363 » 20 Dec 2017, 16:11

Hello, good to find this page, a lot of information from many models of monitors but I enter this post because here I see that we have the same monitor XG2401, I have my own conclusions:

I used a HD5850 graphic card and tested it with the quake3 game at 144fps and 144hz, with my old monitor (2ms 60hz) I noticed almost no difference and in fast movements it looked blurry.
Now I have a GTX1060 and with this graphic card if I can see the true potential of the monitor, now if I see fluid in the movements, then my first impression is that the 144hz monitors are not compatible with old graphic cards.

With my current configuration, I can still see blurry images in fps games, please see this photo that I made of my monitor and it is as it is seen with my eyes :

is it worth changing the monitor for an asus Pg258q? will be more clear in games with very fast movements? I am looking forward to your response
thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Dec 2017, 16:30

Did you set the "response time" setting to "standard"? This gives you the least amount of ghosting.

With that being said, 144Hz does not completely eliminate blur. It reduces it by a lot compared to 60Hz, but does not actually eliminate it. For that, you'd need a monitor that can perform motion blur reduction, but this comes with its own sets of problems, like flicker and reduced brightness. However, compared to your 60Hz monitor, you are seeing way less motion blur, right?

A PG258Q would be an upgrade, since it has g-sync and ULMB (motion blur reduction.) Note that ULMB cannot be used at the same time as g-sync though. So you'd need to pick between no input lag and no stutter (g-sync) and no motion blur (ULMB.) If you can maintain 240FPS, then ULMB becomes less important. But 240FPS in modern games is not feasible, unless you're only interested in games like Counter-Strike or Overwatch which are designed to run at these frame rates.

Also, being a 240Hz monitor, it might come with the set of problems associated with this 1st gen of 240Hz panels, where some of them have image quality issues. Personally, I'd advise against being an early adopter of 240Hz and wait for these panels to mature a bit more.

wiraxbox363

Post by wiraxbox363 » 20 Dec 2017, 16:48

Hi, I use this configuration in advance:

Regarding what you say if I'm going to take it into account because I like the quality of colors is very good, and my monitor has good quality colors (I mean the richness or quantity of colors) in my monitor is only 6bits + 2 bits, if the color quality is worse than mine then I do not buy it so it's faster.

Regarding what you say if I'm going to take it into account because I like the quality of colors is very good, and my monitor has good quality colors (I mean the richness or quantity of colors) in my monitor is only 6bits + 2 bits, if the color quality is worse than mine then I do not buy it so it's faster.

With my gtx1060 if I can see a clear difference with respect to my old monitor 60hz 2ms.