Buy now or wait? [strobe backlight monitors]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
mdzapeer

Buy now or wait? [strobe backlight monitors]

Post by mdzapeer » 14 Feb 2014, 11:38

I am itching to buy a new strobing backlight monitor, but not sure if I should wait for gsync and/or further refinements to this fascinating new development in modern monitors.

I prefer the best quality (calibrated colors etc.) so Eizo, thought expensive, looks really appealing. What I am worried about is though is the high fps requirement of 120 fps, will I be ok running with 60 fps with a 120 refresh, meaning better than a current 60 hz monitor ( using a TN PX2370 Samsung, which I love).

Just not sure what to do...

Big thanks to the chief for championing the removal of blur from modern displays. Finally we can move ahead from these dark days of blurry LCDs.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Buy now or wait [strobe backlight monitors]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2014, 11:58

You're welcome!
One consideration to know is that strobe backlights perform the most perfectly at strobe rate = frame rate = refresh rate.

Strobe backlights run at high rates in order to avoid visible flicker. However, for those interested in trying to reduce GPU horsepower requirements, knowing the minimum strobe rate is quite useful:

NVIDIA LightBoost: minimum strobe rate 100Hz
NVIDIA ULMB: minimum strobe rate 85Hz
BENQ Blur Reduction: minimum strobe rate 75Hz
EIZO Turbo240: minimum strobe rate 105Hz

Useful information
- Official List of 120Hz Monitors
- List of 1440p 120Hz IPS Monitors
- List of GSYNC Monitors
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheRulesLawyer

Re: Buy now or wait? [strobe backlight monitors]

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 14 Feb 2014, 13:37

In a lot of ways it feels like 2014 is going to be a transition year for these types of displays. Its the version 1.0 of the commercial products and the more refined versions will probably be next year. How do you feel about being an early adopter and likely seeing big improvements in v2? Or do you want your hands on the best that is available right now?

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 15 Feb 2014, 09:24

Thanks, I think will be sticking with my current monitor for a while then. Too bad the Sony TV with motion flow impulse is not available in my region. Hmm are there alternatives available from different manufacturers, for HDTV?

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 17 Feb 2014, 15:50

Definitely buy from a place with no-hassle returns if you do. But even if these monitors fall short of what you need, it might be worth it to try one just to get a feel for where the technology is. I've bought and returned several monitors. But despite the hassle I feel it was worth it because it helped me figure out the kind of performance I need to be happy. Because of that experience I know exactly which upcoming monitor is closest to my personal "good enough" threshold. Whether or not it actually meets that threshold will require some hand-on time, like always.