Which Ultra Wide Monitor should I buy?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Iamsoda

Which Ultra Wide Monitor should I buy?

Post by Iamsoda » 24 Mar 2017, 20:50

I purchased a AOC C3583FQ and was flabbergasted by the horrendous ghosting/motion blur for a $600 monitor. So now I am returning it. :o :o :o :o :o :o My old monitor was a basic 144hz TN 1080p 27inch and has zero ghosting, however I really want to upgrade and get into the ultra wide aspect. It has to be 100hz+ 1080p or 1440p (Personally 1080p is enough). Would G sync help solve ghosting/motion blur or ULMB (or some other ULMB copy cat version)?

No ghosting/motion blur > Money

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Which Ultra Wide Monitor should I buy?

Post by RealNC » 25 Mar 2017, 00:19

I don't know what's up with AOC, but most monitors I tried from them have ghosting issues. or other motion artifacts (like lines or text becoming "fat" when moving.) Their overdrive implementations don't seem very solid.

G-Sync indeed helps with this, since the g-sync module is responsible for overdrive, and that's made by nvidia. Their implementation is usually second-to-none, but it's not a 100% guarantee since the panel used in the monitor also plays a role. Overall though, g-sync monitors have good overdrive.

Can't give any specific recommendations though. I never looked into any ultra wide monitors, as they don't interest me right now.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Which Ultra Wide Monitor should I buy?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2017, 02:52

NVIDIA's methods of eliminating ghosting and motion blur has been excellent.

For better-than-average ghosting, go with the ULMB-equipped models mentioned in the newly updated Official List of Gaming Monitors & GSYNC Monitors. These are all the known monitors on the market with blur reduction -- and all known monitors with G-SYNC respectively.

To eliminate motion blur, you want a feature such as ULMB found in Motion Blur Reduction FAQ. That said, you may have a preference for GSYNC (often found in the same monitors as ULMB), depending on the types of games.

VA and IPS panels ghost more than TN, so if ghosting/motion blur is a big problem, you may need to go with a TN monitor equipped with good motion blur reduction typically, ULMB (easy monitor menu toggle), LightBoost (utility or hack), or well-tweaked BENQ Blur Reduction (more powerful, but more difficult to tweak).

Currently, ultrawides are usually VA at this time, and not TN so you will have the very distinctive VA ghosting issues, especially when cold. That said, warmed up (30 minutes) and running blur reduction, the Acer Predator ultrawides reportedly looks really good with ULMB 100Hz with games running 100fps@100Hz consistent.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!