C24FG70, Pixel Inversion?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: C24FG70, Pixel Inversion?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2017, 02:28

Point taken.

The same can be said about things like viewing angle problems, strobe crosstalk, etc. Display imperfections are a fact of life...

Certainly can try exchanging monitor, but it needs to be at least warned that exchanging may not solve the problem -- depending on whether or not it's an intractable trait (like a contrast ratio spec, a viewing angle spec, etc).

Sometimes voltage precision specifications need to be 10x-100x more precise to make inversion artifacts below human detectability limits, as the positive voltage needs to be exactly the same as the negative voltage (right down to submillivolt levels -- the microvolts levels), which can be really tough when you're transmitting power down a grid of microscopic wires built into the panel that varies by several atoms in thickness throughout the panel...

But yes, some panel and monitor manufacturers do a better job than others.

Oh and yes, exchanging monitor could be worthwhile as a way of informing the manufacturer to make better monitors -- as long as accompanied with a big note -- "Inversion artifact issue -- please inform manufacturer directly about defect" -- so to increase chances that Best Buy (or even Amazon) actually sends the monitor back to manufacturer instead of putting it as Open Box / Refurbished sale -- and that the informed manufacturer is compelled to make inversion even more accurate to push inversion artifacts below human detection thresholds. Also, calling/emailing manufacturer tech support... to inform them about the inversion issue.

For this particular inversion issue I'm seeing it's relatively faint compared to even the best (least-inversion) VG278HE -- and certain other models. Sometimes worse than that Samsung photo is actually better than the normal for certain specific monitors with persistent inversion-artifact issues.

That said, inversion issues definitely need to be handled better by many manufacturers.

TL;DR: It may or may not be fixable by panel lottery. The user need to be informed to decide, at least.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hellsrage

Post by hellsrage » 31 Mar 2017, 00:20

Small update, I've got the label ready for shipping the monitor back but the day I put in for the return I caught a post on the /r/buildapcsales sub, an Authorized Samsung Reseller put a few C24FG70 up for sale for$249, so I went ahead and got one since it's a pretty good deal for a new unit.

I have till the 24th to get this current unit shipped off to Amazon and the new monitor should be here by the 5th so long as FedEx doesn't destroy the poor thing I'll be able to do a side by side test and see if there's a difference.

However I did get to ask some owners of the C24FG70 in the thread and it seems that one person with this model didn't see anything like in my picture, another had the 27" model and said that if he looked close enough he could see the pixels but I'm not sure if it was a 1:1 of what I see of just something to do with the pixel density at 27" @1080p. Other owners also didn't have anything thing to say about issues like mine.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2017, 11:42

Let us know! That way we can know it was a panel lottery issue, rather than a monitor model limitation that can't be fixed.

Regardless, still let the manufacturer know directly, bypassing the store, so they know to fix this for next time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hellsrage

Post by hellsrage » 04 Apr 2017, 22:54

Alright, got the new unit in a day early. This unit was manufactured in January of this year.

After hooking it up and doing a side by side with Inversion test, both monitors with the same settings showed the same checkerboard pattern in the thin gray colored bars. However it seems to me anyways both units were not 100% identical in how visible the Inversion was, to my eyes this new unit was slightly less bright in the white parts of the checkerboard pattern that shows in the grays during the test, I'm not sure why but the pattern is still there regardless.

I will say after using the old monitor for this past little while, I think I'm slowly getting somewhat used to it and my brain is starting to ignore it. 2 units isn't much of a sample size so I can't say that it definitely isn't just bad luck on my part. But in games, it seems like the pixels updating during motion seem to make the actual pixel grid visible for that update. Perhaps if the pixel density was higher I wouldn't notice it. I know it was pretty split as to whether people could see what I was seeing or not on their unit so perhaps those of us that do notice it are just too observant and notice it easier than others.

I think I'll probably end up keeping this new unit, I got it for a pretty good price and because it seems we still need some more time before we get 144hz monitors that don't have some sort of draw back.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Apr 2017, 11:33

There's plenty of 144Hz monitors without exclusive drawbacks.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.