Best monitor for fast-paced FPS games? [Old Thread]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Spyro

Best monitor for fast-paced FPS games? [Old Thread]

Post by Spyro » 15 Apr 2017, 12:26

Hi guyz. :)

I'm looking for the absolute best monitor for fast paced FPS games (Quake). I have seen the list but I have no idea which is the best for this purpose. I'm open for all screen sizes and types, I just want the best Quake performance possible.

Any advice plz? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Spyro on 15 Apr 2017, 12:40, edited 3 times in total.

Haste

Re: Best monitor for fast paced FPS?

Post by Haste » 15 Apr 2017, 12:27

The 240Hz one form Asus
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Spyro

Re: Best monitor for fast paced FPS?

Post by Spyro » 15 Apr 2017, 12:28

Haste wrote:The 240Hz one form Asus
Thanks for the hasted response. :lol:

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Best monitor for fast-paced FPS games?

Post by RealNC » 15 Apr 2017, 15:05

120Hz and up will do nicely. 144Hz is the baseline now, as that's what the majority of high refresh monitors support.

Anything above that is about how much money you're willing to spend for the premium. My personal advice is to get a monitor that is not "the absolute best" in one single thing but has shortcomings in other things, but to get something that's "really good" in many things instead of being "the absolute best" in just one thing.

If you've got the money to burn, and a store with a good return policy in case you get a unit with issues, a 165Hz IPS G-Sync is what I'd recommend. A pretty hardcore Quake player (Rocket Jump Ninja) got one of those (happens to be the same I'm using, which is an XG2703-GS) and has a review and his thoughts about it up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGjMiqG-6ys

However, it's not 240Hz. So it's not the ABSOLUTE BEST when it comes to refresh rate. But the 240Hz TN monitors can't compete in other things with it (resolution, size, colors.)

Not saying you should not opt for a 240Hz monitor. That would be a perfectly fine choice for Quake. Just mentioning that there could be other things to consider too :)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Apr 2017, 13:09

Yes, if you are concerned about colors -- this can be a wonderful compromise.

The Viewsonic XG2703-GS along with AOC Agon AG271QG, ASUS ROG PG279Q and Acer Predator XB271HU is the highest-refresh rate IPS panels available at 165Hz.

Of these, the AOC and ViewSonic has the best Amazon ratings at 4.5 stars each (from hundreds of reviews).

These models tend to be the cream of the crop if you are panic-running away from TN panels like a scared chicken.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

avrion

Post by avrion » 17 Apr 2017, 13:55

I kinda have the same question as Spyro but I'd like to know what monitor would be the best when it comes to using strobing with the lowest input/processing lag possible, above all else at 1440p.
I'm using an old samsung 120hz right now that has this janky strobing mode that sadly adds a ton of lag, but it looks so much better. To my eyes it's like going from 60hz to 120hz all over again.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Apr 2017, 17:49

Don't forget to read up on the Blur Reduction FAQ if you like strobe mode.

Most NVIDIA ULMB monitors tend to add extremely little lag. Strobe lag tests will be done increasingly by Blur Busters later this year (we've already ordered some monitors) if you prefer to wait until then, but the good news is -- there's no modern strobed gaming monitor that's as laggy as the "3D Mode" of older SA-series monitors -- which aimed to use strobing for 3D glasses originally, rather than 2D blur reduction. Modern ULMB monitors add only 1/2 frame lag on top of non-strobed.

You can see a list of all monitors with ULMB here, as well as other technologies such as BENQ Blur Reduction or DyAc. As a rule of thumb, ULMB on TN will have slightly less strobe crosstalk than ULMB on IPS, but you will get much better colors with IPS than with TN.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Apr 2017, 19:02

Keep in mind that the Benq XL2735 *MAY* support freesync by editing the range in the ToastyX CRU extension block. No one has tested this as I can't even find anyone who owns this monitor. The scaler is capable of it, as it's the exact same scaler used in the XL2540. And people were using CRU to make freesync work on unsupported monitors with capable scalers already. You would have to disable DyAc first (*Cough* Benq Blur Reduction) in the service menu however. If the scaler allows variable blanking intervals, the firmware shouldn't block it...

avrion

Post by avrion » 17 Apr 2017, 19:32

I think I've already read everything I can about strobing, the problem is, there just aren't any proper reviews that test input lag/response time AND strobing. The only website I know who has a few reviews like that is tftcentral but not for every monitor.
I'm looking at the Benq XL2735 or the Asus Rog PG278Q/PG279Q actually. Will you be testing those @Chief?

Spyro

Post by Spyro » 18 Apr 2017, 08:54

Should I play Quake with ULMB enabled? Coz I have seen a review of the ASUS PG258Q by a hot asian girl where she says that ULMB limits the monitor to 144Hz. So if ULMB is capped at 144Hz and it should be enabled while playing... I see no reason to get a 240Hz monitor over a 144Hz for Quake LUL. :mrgreen: