what are these dark lines ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
marem

what are these dark lines ?

Post by marem » 27 Apr 2017, 05:07

http://imgur.com/a/QuIRP

i want to buy a used 27inch display to see how it is working and gaming on such a big monitor.
i have the choise between a used lg ips277l with sime pixel issues (see url link) or a aoc e2795vh which should have no problems.

my question is: is the problem with the ips monitor fixable ? or is it not that bad and i wont notice it in everyday usage ? both would cost be about 80 euros.

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: what are these dark lines ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Apr 2017, 22:31

Artifacts like this (every-4-line-issue) is usually a panel defect.

I was thinking LCD inversion, but no monitors (in their right mind) these days currently use that awful LCD inversion pattern (checkout both Lagom and Techmind links there). Most LCD inversion patterns are single-pixel/subpixel checkerboard patterns in gaming monitors, and I've seen no current panels using "every-4" scan-line LCD patterns.

I'm thinking, possibly, it's a weak line in a ribbon cable -- like a loose pin on a ribbon connector. One could *attempt* to open the monitor and reseat the connectors, to see if this artifact disappears. If you're paying only 80 Euros (in one of the countries where even cheap 60Hz monitors cost 150-200 Euros and up) AND you have experience with fragile high-density ribbon connectors, then might be a great buy. But those connectors are easy to damage, and you may end up with no working monitor! So if you're hugely concerned, you may want to shop around a little more before risking this model...

P.S. We're usually a forum about monitors that can do better than 60Hz or has an enhancing feature (VRR, blur reduction, etc). However, hope I helped!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!