[FIXED] Issue w Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% sRgb gamut

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
AdamK

Re: Issue with Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% of sRgb gamu

Post by AdamK » 03 May 2017, 08:14

Thanks for the reply. Resetting all the NVIDIA control panel settings seems to have done the trick! I did a second calibration run, this time at 120hz and with G-Sync enabled (for full screen only), and the gamut coverage was again at 99.6%. Weird weird weird. Thank God though, as I was about to give up on the monitor!

So other people get that banding? I noticed a little bit in Subnautica too, in the sky box.

I've heard there are some issues with banding with NVIDIA hardware via DP and HDMI due to how they handle the output. Bit of a shit there's any banding after dropping this much money!

Thanks for the help guys!

Glide

Post by Glide » 03 May 2017, 08:36

Lots of games have banding in them. It's far less likely to be the monitor, assuming it has at least a native 8-bit panel.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 May 2017, 09:23

I can confirm too. Banding in games is due to oversights by the developers. You will see that on every monitor. In fact, if the monitor would NOT show the banding, it would be an inaccurate monitor, since the banding is "supposed" to be there (not on purpose, but by developer oversight.)

If you wonder what this oversight is: developers need to correctly convert their pixel values (as they are stored in the framebuffer) to gamma-corrected sRGB, as expected by the monitor, and apply dithering. Most developers just don't do that. Either they don't know about this, or just don't bother. I think it's the former, not the latter, since correct conversion is rather easy and not involved at all. And since people never complain about the banding (we all see it, but the vast majority just doesn't care), developers probably don't even know this is an issue, or even an easily fixable issue.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RealNC
Site Admin

[FIXED] Issue w Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% sRgb gamut

Post by RealNC » 03 May 2017, 09:30

Btw, how accurate is your calibration device? The PC Monitors review mentions that it has slightly above 100% sRGB coverage.

And since I have the same monitor, can you tell me what your white point is at default? ("Native" setting in "Color Adjust -> Color Temperature.") Is it 6500K?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED] Issue w Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% sRgb ga

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2017, 22:28

Excellent!

Glad this is fixed. Yes, I thought it might be mis-adjusted GPU color adjustment settings.

They can interfere with monitor calibration. In some cases, three layers of adjustments are interfering with each other simultaneously (monitor setting, Windows settings, GPU settings).

Imagine that you bought a new monitor, and it still had bad gamut too! Glad we've helped you find the source of the calibration problem.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AdamK

Re: [FIXED] Issue w Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% sRgb ga

Post by AdamK » 04 May 2017, 04:11

Yes, I really didn't expect it to be affected by anything like that! It is possible it's the G-Sync, as I'd had only enabled for full screen programs when I did the successful calibration, so I might test that out with it enabled across the board. But otherwise I'm glad to have sorted it out as it's quite an expensive monitor :?
RealNC wrote:Btw, how accurate is your calibration device? The PC Monitors review mentions that it has slightly above 100% sRGB coverage.

And since I have the same monitor, can you tell me what your white point is at default? ("Native" setting in "Color Adjust -> Color Temperature.") Is it 6500K?
My device is a basic, entry level one. DisplayCal is great though and makes up for it somewhat. I might invest in a higher-end device at some point though. I couldn't tell you what the native colour temperature is, as I tweaked the RGB gains to get a neutral whitepoint for DisplayCal (which is 6500k). I've got my gains at: R-97 G-95 B-100