[FIXED] Issue w Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% sRgb gamut

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
AdamK

[FIXED] Issue w Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% sRgb gamut

Post by AdamK » 02 May 2017, 09:30

Hey guys,

I recently acquired the Viewsonic XG2703-GS, after trying out the Dell U2715H. The Dell was great, but I hated the 60hz and wanted a good quality monitor with a higher refresh rate.

I bought the monitor for both gaming, and video editing & colour correction. The Viewsonic is supposed to cover over 100% of the sRgb gamut, and generally have a high level of image quality.

I've got a colorimeter (ColourMunki Smile), and use displayCal, and have calibrated the Viewsonic, doing about 3 runs now, one of them over a couple of hours. Each time the result has returned a result of about 75% coverage of the sRgb gamut, which is completely unacceptable. This was the last result:

http://imgur.com/a/UnDnu

I've noticed that I've gotten banding in some situations (mainly in games, but also the Lagom banding test. I also visited a page which shows a picture covering the complete sRgb gamut:

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/04/c ... gamut.html

It looks completely normal on my phone (an HTC 10, with no obvious defects). On my monitor, there is some mild banding, but also this weird 'crease' that runs mainly through the low yellow/green section.

The Dell tested at approx 100% coverage, even my old TN panel was about 95%!

So what's the deal? I've never heard of issues with the sRgb coverage in monitors, only BLB, glow, dead pixels, etc. I love the G-sync in this monitor and the high refresh rate, but I cannot do with the low sRgb coverage. All the reviews mentioned how good the coverage was, and how accurate it was out of the box...

(running on a MSI GTX 770 2GB)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Issue with Viewsonic XG2703-GS - covers 75% of sRgb gamu

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 May 2017, 09:36

Are you using HDMI full range (0-255) or television range (16-235)? Many monitors have such a toggle. But the GTX 770 might have a toggle. These settings, if messed up (out of sync) can completely prevent colorimeters from achieving full gamut. I recommend Full on both sides.

Try resetting all NVIDIA Control Panel adjustments, and adjust via monitor menus instead. Some colorimeters will adjust via hidden access to "monitor menus" (via VESA DDC/CI) but not all of them, and there are ugly interactions between GPU adjustments and monitor adjustments that can create gamut-reducing and banding effects.

This might not be the issue, since you say you are using GSYNC, which in theory, should ideally automatically uses the full range.

Have you tested if gamut at 60Hz is any bigger than at 120Hz+?

Have you tested a laptop (e.g. MacBook) and does it have bigger gamut?

Is Blur Reduction ON or OFF? Gamut is usually smaller when this setting is ON.

Real NC has that monitor, IIRC, so he may chime in.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 02 May 2017, 09:43

It's set to full range, gone through all the settings with a fine tooth comb. Haven't actually tried calibrating at different refresh rates, will try the 60hz calibration tomorrow, and will try with G-Sync off.

Can't actually access blur reduction, doesn't appear in my menu for some reason. Can't get past 120hz either unfortunately. Think it might be because I'm running a GTX 770.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 May 2017, 10:34

I assume you're using DisplayPort (since you said you get 120Hz and G-Sync, which isn't possible through HDMI.) Are you using the DP cable that came with the monitor?

Are you sure you're running 2560x1440? And, in the "Color Adjust" section in the OSD, is "Input Range" set correctly, is "Contrast" set to 50, and is "Gamma" set to 2.2? Are the RGB values all set to 100?

Are you using "Standard" in "ViewMode"?

The blur reduction mode is in the "ViewMode -> Standard" section, btw. It's called "ULMB". (G-Sync needs to be disabled in the nvidia panel for this to be configurable.)

Also make sure you're not using "Dark Boost", "Adaptive Contrast" or "Blur Light Filter" (must be set to 0) in the "ViewMode -> Standard" section.

Furthermore, you should be able to use 144Hz on your 770. I'm not aware of any pixel clock limitations on the 770.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 02 May 2017, 16:02

I used a 770 to run my asus at 2560x1440 144hz gsync no problem through the display port. There could something wrong with the way you have it setup.

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 02 May 2017, 19:38

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Input ranges are all set to 'full'. Contrast is 50 and Gamma is 2.2. Profile is Standard, ULMB is off, all those other options are at default (off). I bought another DP cable from Accell, same issues. RGB gain levels I tweaked to get a good whitepoint in DisplayCal.

I've reset all the NVIDIA controls to default, and turned G-Sync off. I've put the refresh rate at 60hz and did a short calibration test. For some reason that seemed to do the trick. This time, the sRgb coverage was at 99.6%, which I'm very happy with! Unfortunately I still can't get past 120hz.

The other issue is some banding. Does anybody else get this on their Steam window? - http://imgur.com/a/lAXQq
I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure this wasn't present with the Dell.

Bonus banding screengrab - b&w gradient in Photoshop: http://imgur.com/a/hbXbM

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 May 2017, 20:25

Interesting!

Darn near 100% sRGB gamut at 60Hz non-GSYNC?

Now we have to turn on one feature at a time, until sRGB gets squeezed.

Gamut can sometimes degrade a bit during increases in Hz as the panel gets driven harder, but this is very abnormal loss of gamut.

Maybe try 120Hz GSYNC-disabled and see what happens? And try short calibration tests at 85Hz / 100Hz GSYNC disabled. See if there's a linear gamut degradation for your display -- that might indicate a potential issue (a possible a loss on panel lottery -- a panel that runs at more severely-than-usual degraded performance at high Hz).

RealNC, do you have gamut measurements for your display at 120Hz+?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 02 May 2017, 20:34

I'm running a longer 2 hour-ish test now with DisplayCal just to make sure it wasn't an outlier, then I'll try your approach!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 May 2017, 03:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:RealNC, do you have gamut measurements for your display at 120Hz+?
I have no access to any sort of calibration device or any other such gear. Visually, I can see no difference between 60, 120 and 144Hz on lagom.nl, and there's not even the slighted hint of banding on any of the tests.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Glide

Post by Glide » 03 May 2017, 04:53

AdamK wrote:I've reset all the NVIDIA controls to default, and turned G-Sync off. I've put the refresh rate at 60hz and did a short calibration test. For some reason that seemed to do the trick. This time, the sRgb coverage was at 99.6%, which I'm very happy with! Unfortunately I still can't get past 120hz.
I would be inclined to think that something is going wrong with the measurement at high refresh rates, rather than the gamut actually getting smaller. Color gamut is mostly a physical property of the display.
AdamK wrote:The other issue is some banding. Does anybody else get this on their Steam window? - http://imgur.com/a/lAXQq
Yes, that's just Steam.
AdamK wrote:Bonus banding screengrab - b&w gradient in Photoshop: http://imgur.com/a/hbXbM
Well an 8-bit gradient is never going to be completely free of banding unless you mask it with noise. You need about 12-bit for that.
And unless NVIDIA have changed things recently, you do not ever want to load an ICC profile into the GPU LUT or else it will introduce banding, as they perform the processing with the same precision as the output. (or use higher precision and don't dither)