Best Blur Reduction XL2720Z vs XL2735

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Akaranir

Re: Best Blur Reduction XL2720Z vs XL2735

Post by Akaranir » 21 May 2017, 17:15

At 2:47 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8TzN1IO8W4

He explains that the "DyAc" technology makes it possible to have a much less dark image.

Is it the DyAc that allows this or are the benq in a general way brighter than the others monitors ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 May 2017, 19:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:In short, it's best recommended to use strobe modes for high framerates -- only with framerates matching refreshrates. If you consistently run at framerates less than 100fps, it's usually best to turn off blur reduction.
Well, I run 85Hz strobed in some games and it's great. In fact, more useful than high-refresh strobing. 100FPS/100Hz and above has acceptable motion blur without strobing (not great, just acceptable.) 85FPS/85Hz does not, so strobing helps a lot more.

The important part is to use a lower refresh rate to match your frame rate, otherwise you get the double-image thingy. If you can't run high FPS, switch to 85Hz strobed and see if you like the result.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2017, 20:40

Some strobe backlight technologies use voltage-boosts to the backlight during blur reduction.

Some monitors do this, so it's possible that this is a feature of "DyAc" that regular BenQ Blur Reduction does not have.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 21 May 2017, 22:49

I believe the XL2735 double strobes at 60hz and 85hz because Benq reverted the "Broken" code of the xl2730Z (which was strobing at 8.3 ms timings all refresh rates lower than 120hz), while the XL2735 strobes at 10.0ms timings again at 100hz and double strobes below that (60hz, 85hz, possibly 75hz).

So using 85hz wouldn't work too well on an XL2735 (unless some mysterious new firmware enabled low refresh rate single strobe again).

The XL2720Z can single strobe at most bizarre custom refresh rates (like 61hz and 80hz).
From what I know, the Realtek 2796BF scaler (on XL2735, XL2540, XL2546) will *disable* blur reduction at weird refresh rates like 61hz. Someone tried 60.5hz on the XL2540 and DyAC just turned itself off.

Someone needs to check a firmware higher than V001 on an XL2735 to see if it still double strobes or not.

Akaranir

Post by Akaranir » 26 May 2017, 03:08

Can you please give me the name of monitors that uses voltage-boost? Or at least that allow to have a Blur Reduction (all brands) bright ?

And another question that I have been asking myself for a long time,
Is the Benq "Blur Reduction" better than the 'ULMB", if so how ?

thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2017, 11:40

Akaranir wrote:Can you please give me the name of monitors that uses voltage-boost? Or at least that allow to have a Blur Reduction (all brands) bright ?

And another question that I have been asking myself for a long time,
Is the Benq "Blur Reduction" better than the 'ULMB", if so how ?

thank you.
Unfortunately, this is a tough question that requires actually walking up to the monitors and actually measuring them. We'd have to buy over $30K worth of monitors just to answer this question precisely. Currently, TFTCentral is the only one that answers the brightness for each strobe length during Blur Reduction modes, and from that, we can see that brighter models (e.g. 100 nits and up) are generally displays that use boosts during strobing.

We are going to begin reviewing monitors this year with a brand new Blur Busters review format, but it will take years before we've reviewed "large numbers of monitors". Currently, we've only relaunched http://www.blurbusters.com and now we are preparing for the next cycle of article launches. Two people are now writing articles in addition to me, so we will have lots more fascinating articles coming out over the course of this spring/summer. Keep tuned :)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Akaranir

Post by Akaranir » 27 May 2017, 10:30

TFT Central offers an ultra detailed description of the monitors !
But it is still missing the XL 2735.

So i could spot other good monitors with high brightness, including the PG258Q.

But, is it possible to adjust the crosstalk (strobe timing) on the PG258Q ?
And does it double strobe at 60/85 hz ?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 May 2017, 00:38

If my XL2420G G-Sync is anything to go off of.

You can customize the pulse width but not the timing, not that you need to anyways since it's always perfectly in the center.

ULMB only goes down to 85hz, so 60hz doesn't work but atleast it does single strobe.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2017, 10:30

lexlazootin wrote:If my XL2420G G-Sync is anything to go off of.

You can customize the pulse width but not the timing, not that you need to anyways since it's always perfectly in the center.

ULMB only goes down to 85hz, so 60hz doesn't work but atleast it does single strobe.
Actually, XL2420G has two different Blur Reduction modes.

1. In Engine = "GSYNC", it uses ULMB which doesn't have timing adjustment. Works only at 85Hz, 100Hz, and 120Hz. Very easy, very good, very clear, and if you want Blur Reduction that just works on a single click -- ULMB all the way.

2. In Engine = "Classic", the XL2420G fully supports all Blur Busters Strobe Utility adjustments. Works at all refresh rates in 0.1Hz increments, even all the way to 144Hz. More strobe crosstalk, but fixable (at lower refresh rates). Power users who want full strobe calibration, BENQ/Zowie gaming monitors provide the most flexible Blur Reduction modes. And 60Hz single-strobe works!

Also, depending on how you decide to calibrate strobe timing -- there can be ~1-2ms less input lag with the Classic mode strobe backlight, because you can set strobe timing more aggressively than you can with ULMB. For competitive gaming, the Classic mode strobe backlight is probably better if you can tolerate increasing strobe crosstalk a little bit (it's completely adjustable).

Yes, you lose GSYNC in Classic mode, but you get exactly the same strobe backlight available in the famous XL2720Z (Version 2 and later).

The XL2420G is unusual in that it has two different brands of strobe backlights* in the same display.

*three if you include LightBoost (via 3D emitter trick)

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 May 2017, 11:57

Actually if i remember correctly i did get ULMB to work at 60hz using some CRU hacking. +120hz ULMB also works as well.

G-Sync has some pretty strange tricks that you can do to unlock certain CRU values letting you customize it pretty heavily. At 1024x768 i was able to reach 190hz with no frame skipping.

I really wanted to get a 240hz G-Sync so i can really play with it but i'm still waiting for a confirmed ULMB+G-Sync monitor to be announced since they demoed not to long ago...

Edit: 2 months ago :cry: