New LG2479G-B Has a Weird "Ghosting" Effect

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kabushi

New LG2479G-B Has a Weird "Ghosting" Effect

Post by kabushi » 13 May 2017, 03:52

So I purchased a new 24 inch 144 hz Freesync LG monitor (fairly recent release, model: 24GM79G-B) and for some reason my screen has this weird "ghosting" effect or I guess you could consider it a "burn in" effect.

Like my mouse has a trail following it and also anything that gets taken off screen remains for an extra second and then fades out. (Scrolling text, closed tabs, etc.)

But, the STRANGEST thing is that it only happens on the right side! This doesn't happen on the left side at all.

Here's a video I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIA_nbWbg80

So... what the heck is happening? I've never experienced this on any monitor I've owned before.

Also, this is for sure related to the monitor/panel and not my hardware. Because the issue occurs with the onscreen OSD options too when there is absolutely no input going into the monitor.

So... I guess the search for the perfect Freesync monitor continues.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New LG2479G-B Has a Weird "Ghosting" Effect

Post by RealNC » 13 May 2017, 22:29

That is a huge defect if I ever saw one :-P

RMA time.

It is unit-specific though, for sure. It would be highly unlikely that another LG2479G-B unit would have the issue. Unless somehow this was a whole batch of units that has this defect, and they send you a unit from the same batch.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2017, 15:00

Definitely RMA.

That's not normal ghosting.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Darksim

Post by Darksim » 18 May 2017, 17:36

I have the same exact issue on the right side of the screen, but it doesn't occur on roughly the furthest right most inch of the screen, and instead is on the left most inch of the screen in addition to most of the right side. Quite a strange defect. It even happens with the monitor's own OSD on top of a black screen.

Also hi Blur Busters! Great website, I've read it quite a bit before making an account to post my experience as a test dummy on this monitor, and have really learned a lot about displays.