Best 1440p monitors out? (Recommendations)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
JsBee

Best 1440p monitors out? (Recommendations)

Post by JsBee » 13 May 2017, 20:46

So I've recently picked up a 1080ti from my local Microcenter and am currently in the process of upgrading from an XL2411Z. I'm almost completely settled on a 1440p monitor and most people seem to recommend a 27in as well(not against a 24in). As far as panel types go i've had some bad luck with IPS panels in the past and haven't really run into many problems with TN so I am kind of leaning towards that unless there is a good enough IPS monitor out there. Forgot to mention that I would like to get as high of a refresh rate(165 is the max I think) if possible.

I play a lot of FPS games(mostly CS:GO) and pretty much every other genre out there besides strategy. I've tried out G-SYNC and loved it so anything with it would be amazing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, I wouldn't be against trying out a 240hz monitor if the new ones are well received around here. I would personally lean towards the ASUS or BenQ/Zowie versions.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Best 1440p monitors out? (Recommendations)

Post by RealNC » 13 May 2017, 22:01

The 165Hz IPS are a bit hit and miss. There's panel lottery going on. In my case, I did win the lottery (I use an XG2703-GS), but I've seen plenty of reports online with problematic panels. That goes for all 165Hz IPS monitors out there; it's not ViewSonic-specific. Acer, Asus and AOC seem to have the same issues.

Anecdotal evidence (and I have to stress that) suggests that ViewSonic and AOC have less issues compared to Asus and Acer. But that could simply be bias due to more people buying Asus and Acer, with ViewSonic and AOC being less popular, and thus less reports about issues.

If you do, however, get a good unit, these monitors are pretty great. I use mine at 144Hz for games and 120Hz for the desktop. I don't use the 165Hz mode. You can see my impressions (NOT a review, just impressions) of the XG2703-GS here:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3337

A proper review by PC Monitors (this was my personal deciding factor for getting this monitor):

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2703-gs/

A review of the AOC:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag271qg

TFT Central has reviews for the PG279Q:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg279q.htm

And the Acer XB271HK:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb271hk.htm

The 240Hz monitors are generally well received (well, it's freakin' 240Hz, you can't argue with that). My personal opinion is that they're overpriced right now. They're in the same ballpark price-wise as the cheapest 165Hz IPS (the AOC). 240Hz is most probably amazing (haven't experienced it yet myself), but only if you can actually run your games at 240FPS. This is quite difficult even with a 1080Ti. So for the majority of games, we're looking at 100Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz. And if you're doing that for the majority of games, to me IPS + G-Sync + higher resolution + higher size just seem preferable to me.

Btw, 27" 1440p still has higher pixel density than 24" 1080p. In fact, to get the same pixel density with 1080p you need a 20" monitor. So overall 27" 1440p is pretty great. The bigger size does give a small competitive advantage in games like CS:GO because player models are simply bigger. Bigger heads = easier to aim at them.

One thing though about these IPS panels: they are NOT low-glow panels. Meaning they all have IPS glow. This is a constant property of the panels and does NOT vary between units. To me it's less visually offensive than TN color shift and gamma shift, but that's just me. Other people might find IPS glow to be more annoying.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

JsBee

Post by JsBee » 14 May 2017, 12:12

Ah I see then. Would using DSR be a good compromise if I were to get a 240hz 24in? I figured that that might be a good compromise to get the best of both worlds as I would be able to get a pseudo 1440p or 4k on most of my games.

That Viewsonic model is one that really interests me at the moment. The green coloring on the stand doesn't bother me that much so I would be willing to deal with it if I got a good one. Maybe ill pick one up.

Also, do you have any experience with the Dell S2716DG at all? It seems to be the most well-liked 1440p monitor around for the price that you can get them at. I'm fortunate enough to live close to a Microcenter and they have them for $499 right now(the Viewsonic is $699)

cskippy

Post by cskippy » 14 May 2017, 14:43

In my research nothing really beats the XL2411z for competitive gaming. My other main monitor is the Acer XB270HU IPS 144Hz. It's great for general use and most gaming situations but it's not fast enough for competitive play. Just something to keep in mind. I go from crap k/d to always above 2 with XL2411z.

The 240Hz monitors seem great for what they offer but I've read that the color and contrast is horrific to achieve those results, so it might be better to just run the XL2411z with Blur Reduction On and VT tweak if you're looking for a little extra clarity/advantage.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 May 2017, 19:40

cskippy wrote:It's great for general use and most gaming situations but it's not fast enough for competitive play.
It is certainly fast enough for competitive play. There are input lag measurements you can find online:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ace ... hu.htm#lag
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ace ... 238-7.html
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

cskippy

Post by cskippy » 14 May 2017, 22:02

Oh I know what the measurements say, it's actual real world use by me, the pixel transitions aren't as fast as the XL2411z so spotting people and reacting is slower.

Also, using humanbenchmark reaction time test, I can consistently get ~20ms lower reaction time with the XL2411z vs XB270HU which is supposed to have negligible input lag.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 May 2017, 22:23

The lag tests do include pixel transition times.

The only explanation for what you are seeing is that the XB270HU you are using is different from the XB270HU's that were tested. I'm not sure how that would be possible though.

cskippy

Post by cskippy » 15 May 2017, 01:06

There could be a difference of connection too, even though they are both digital, I always found DVI to feel faster, don't know why. Maybe the protocol or how it's handled with Nvidia cards? Call me crazy but it's consistent.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 15 May 2017, 08:19

You're crazy, but don't worry, almost everyone is. :P

The differences between two monitors would be negligible, and DVI and HDMI pretty much send the exact same data so they would be the same as well. The best way you could test it would be to put both monitors side by side and mirror the image so they display the same content and then take a picture of a millisecond timer.

cskippy

Post by cskippy » 15 May 2017, 18:08

I agree, it's nuts. I might try that sometime.