need urgent help with my new monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
striker333

need urgent help with my new monitor

Post by striker333 » 22 May 2017, 10:02

hi guys . i have just bought asus rog swift pg278q and it is my worst decision i made . i knew its problem before i buy but in my country there is no option specially with the currency going down comparing to dollar ofc this monitor isnt cheap here . i have benq xl2720z and still have it i post a problem about it in all videos it give me judder with no fix and i wote a post here about it and nothing fixed it so i bought the asus and guess what lol still have same judder and ofc the exclusive pg278q problems flickering and horizontal pixels and blurry text :D
and cant fix it rma in my country is shit just wanna know if there is a fix to this or it is hardware issue so i have to rma it .i changed cable with no fix closed gsync the only thing that worked is to close the monitor and remove it from dac and wait then connect put it is temp fix i used this fix from Falkentyne he posted it before hope u help me with this by the way i think there gonna be no change with this monitor cuz it isnt in stock here anymore and it became too expensive i bought this one used . the monior manufacturing date is november 2014
serial number begin with eblm

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: need urgent help with my new monitor

Post by RealNC » 22 May 2017, 11:27

If you get horizontal lines and flicker, that's a reason to RMA.

But other than that, we already knew the judder isn't caused by the monitor. I hate to tell you "told you so", but it's true. We told you the judder has nothing to do with the monitor :-/ You best hope right now is trying to RMA it and request a different model, not another P278Q.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

striker333

Post by striker333 » 22 May 2017, 11:29

thx for the reply dude ill try to rma it i hate that but nothing to do :( about juddering so all the 144hz monitor do this with 23fps videos or wht cuz my old 60hz was fine

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 May 2017, 11:37

We already discussed this. The most compatible mode for video is 120Hz. So use that as your desktop refresh rate. 144Hz should only be used for games, not the desktop. If you still get judder, then it's an issue with the video player or some buggy codec pack or driver :-/

Personally, I use SMPlayer with "mpv" as backend (enable "mpv", disable "mplayer" during installation) and there is no judder anywhere. You can even use G-Sync with it (using special options) and get perfect 1:1 playback. It does not use codec packs so it's not affected by codec issues.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 12:23

RealNC wrote:We already discussed this. The most compatible mode for video is 120Hz. So use that as your desktop refresh rate. 144Hz should only be used for games, not the desktop. If you still get judder, then it's an issue with the video player or some buggy codec pack or driver :-/
IMHO, this recommendation is irrelevant in striker333's case.

He already has a second 144Hz monitor (XL2720Z), so apples-to-apples, 144Hz for 144Hz and 120Hz for 120Hz, there shouldn't be a judder difference. (Proper 24p movies will play just as smoothly at 144Hz as at 120Hz). If 144Hz judder is worse on the PG278Q than 144Hz judder on the XL2720Z, then that can signal a bigger problem.
RealNC wrote:If you get horizontal lines and flicker, that's a reason to RMA.
But other than that, we already knew the judder isn't caused by the monitor. I hate to tell you "told you so", but it's true. We told you the judder has nothing to do with the monitor :-/ You best hope right now is trying to RMA it and request a different model, not another P278Q.
Actually.... hang on a sec.
If the user has a /different/ problem like lines and flicker, I've actually seen it amplify judder. For example, monitor dropping half of frames (e.g. 144Hz->72Hz) due to a defect, can amplify judder in 30fps and 60fps videos. 99% of the time, judder is not the monitor's fault but simply a refresh rate setting and player software (as you said).

Right now, currently this is inconclusive until I ask more questions to this user.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 12:33

I can understand where some users in some countries may find buying a monitor is as difficult/expensive as buying a car. So I'm going to try to go a bit extra distance and attempt a more precise diagnosis. Especially if the financial-pain of shipping cost in your country feels 10x bigger than for somebody in Canada or USA.
striker333 wrote:thx for the reply dude ill try to rma it i hate that but nothing to do :( about juddering so all the 144hz monitor do this with 23fps videos or wht cuz my old 60hz was fine
Can you please answer all these questions to help me accurately diagnose your problem.
To make it easier for a non-English speaker, I will write this in survey format:

You mention you have an XL2720Z.
1 -- Do you see judder on your XL2720Z?
1a -- Do you see judder on your XL2720Z at 120Hz?
1b -- Do you see judder on your XL2720Z at 144Hz?
Please select answer #1: No | Yes
Please select answer #1a: No | Yes
Please select answer #1b: No | Yes

2 -- Testing video on your PG278Q at the same refresh rate, is the judder worse?
.........Worse than XL2720Z? Possible defect (either hardware or software)
.........Same as XL2720Z? It's normal.
Please select answer #2: Worse | Same

3 -- Please temporarily switch your PG278Q to 1920x1080 resolution (instead of 2560x1440). Play a video again. Does video playback fluidity improve?
This test will lower the bandwidth of your video cable, to help diagnose the use of an incorrect/defective/bandwidth-limited cable or unsupported/defective graphics card. If judder improves, then we will shift our defect analysis to some kind of bandwidth problem/limitation via cable or video card.
Please select answer #3: Better | Same | Worse

4 -- Please run frameskipping test on your PG278Q at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping in full screen mode of the refresh rate you see judder on. Make sure you're running at the correct refresh rate. Take a photo with your smartphone.
If Chrome is stuck at 60Hz, but Control Panel says 120Hz or 144Hz, then try a different web browser such as FireFox
Please attach JPG photo file.

If you have difficulty reading this post, please let me know. Please also forgive RealNC's jumping to conclusion. He might very well be right. But let's be absolutely sure first. Please answer questions #1 through 4 above, and let me know! If you can only answer 3 questions out of 4 questions, that is okay, too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 May 2017, 13:21

His problem was that he had judder with the other monitor. He then bought the Asus to fix the judder. Of course this didn't help, since it was not a monitor issue.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 13:56

Probably. This would result in these predicted answers:
Please select answer #1: Yes?
Please select answer #1a: Yes?
Please select answer #1b: Yes?
Please select answer #2: Same? (equally bad)
Please select answer #3: Same? (equally bad)
striker333, is that correct? Please verify.
Also, I still need a photograph for #4 as a picture is worth a thousand words.
I'd like to leave no stone unturned (e.g. external problem afflicting both, such as computer problem).

Additional tests:
5. Test 60Hz instead of 120Hz or 144Hz. Does judder disappear?
Please select answer #5: Yes | No

6. Try connecting a different machine temporarily (e.g. laptop) to the same new monitor and then playing video. Does judder disappear?
Please select answer #6: Judder | Smooth

striker333

Post by striker333 » 26 May 2017, 17:25

first thx very much chief for the effort . 2nd ya answers are almost all correct . judder in asus is little bit better .ill try them tomorrow side by side and ill connect my old 60hz monitor again cuz i put the asus in the box but ill try it tomorrow .about 60hz ya bit better but didn't solve the problem .tried different machine with different vga brand and same happened juddering in games it don't do this just videos. and this is the screen shot with cam if anything wrong tell me :D http://imgur.com/a/I8h9x

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2017, 18:22

Photo is correct and looks good.
That monitor is functioning properly without frameskipping.

Ufortunately, it may be that the faster pixel response is simply making film judder more visible. Motion blur normally hides judder a little, on older/cheaper monitor -- you simply might be just judder-sensitive rather than blur-sensitive. A fast monitor will make low-framerate judder more visible due to fast pixel response. Different people are sensitive to different things!

However, definitely test your old 60Hz and see if judder disappears (to your eyes).

One solution is to test http://www.svp-project.org .... you will have to edit a config file to force interpolation to work all the way to 120fps (This software is great if you love the Motionflow effect / soap opera effect)