1080p 144hz G-sync Monitors : Cannot decide...

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Sammashi

1080p 144hz G-sync Monitors : Cannot decide...

Post by Sammashi » 26 May 2017, 21:19

Hi everyone,
I am about to acquire a new monitor with the specs in the title. What monitors would you recommend? I read a bit about Asus PG248Q and Acer XB241H but I cannot decide. Also, I kind of liked BenQ XL2420G specs but it seems to be discontinued... I want to insist that I want to keep it at 1080p rather than stepping up to 1440p for the reasons below:

-I am about to get a GTX 1070 which I believe hit sub 144 FPS in most games at Ultra in 1080p and I want to keep details as high as possible. I am looking for both performance (high FPS) and high quality visuals/effects over resolution. 1070 would perform lower on 1440p and hence 144hz monitor would not be suitable.

-I want to keep 1070 for 2-3 years before upgrading and I won't mind upgrading to 4k setup at that time, hence I am not quite interested by 1440p for now.

-I prefer to get a 1080p monitor in order to use it for my Playstation 4 as well. 1440p monitor would not be suitable.

-I do watch a lot of Youtube/Netflix and other media online which I believe are quite optimised for 1080p : 1440p is far from being the standard.

Thanks for your help.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 1080p 144hz G-sync Monitors : Cannot decide...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2017, 15:44

Scanning through the Blur Busters monitor lists:
- Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
- Official List of GSYNC Monitors
- Official List of FreeSync Monitors

Movie Color Quality
Are you familiar with IPS versus TN? One possible catch you have is if you're watching lots of Netflix/movies, you may want a high-refresh-rate IPS monitor. But all the 120Hz+ IPS monitors are all 1440p or higher. That throws a catch-22 if you're preferring to stick to 1080p for Playstation games. You may be happy with TN, depending on what you're used to. If you've purchased TN monitors for gaming, and you were generally fine with it, then you'll probably have no problem. Another possible option is VA monitors which has good color quality and are available in 1080p 144Hz variants, but the catch is VA sometimes has slightly more input lag than TN/IPS.

GSYNC Is Indeed Recommended
You mentioned (A) you love high detail levels which forces sub-144fps operation and (B) you already have an NVIDIA card. Because of this, GSYNC will significantly improve your gaming experience by smoothing out all those varying-framerate stutters for you. If you have never seen GSYNC before, here's a demo of varying framerates without stutter -- this is a simulated animation via interpolation but GSYNC/FreeSync does it natively).

180Hz almost same price as 240Hz
I observe your 180Hz monitor recommendations, which suggest you want a little extra headroom. Also, the 240Hz version of ASUS is only a few tens dollars more expensive than the 180Hz-overclockable one, so if you're really looking for extra Hz, you can still use the 240Hz monitor in 180Hz mode, and probably get slightly better color quality (since 180Hz would become an underclock rather than overclock). No guarantee, though. One plus with 240Hz GSYNC is you get 144Hz ULMB with the 240Hz monitors, so that can look good for games that run fast enough (144fps) to allow you to see all that Ultra detail with no motion blur.

If you're wanting 180Hz+ 24" 1080p TN monitors
-- ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q (24", 1080p, 240Hz GSYNC), only slightly pricier than PG248Q
-- ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q (24", 1080p, 180Hz GSYNC)
-- Acer Predator XB241H (24", 1080p, 180Hz, GSYNC)

If you're tight on budget, this is one of the cheapest GSYNC 144Hz:
-- AOC G2460PG (24", 1080p, 144Hz GSYNC) ...perfectly fine for 144fps and might be all you need until 4K. If you're not needing the extra Hz anyway and just want decent GSYNC for a lower price, this is a favourite buy for less than $380.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Sammashi

Re: 1080p 144hz G-sync Monitors : Cannot decide...

Post by Sammashi » 01 Jun 2017, 05:18

Hi Chief,

Thanks for your feedback, I have already made an order for the XB241H but I still can cancel it as it is due to be dispatched tomorrow.
I am still hesitating a lot :
-This is my first gaming setup, all I have owned before is a cheap HP laptop and PS4 and Samsung FHD TV. I am wondering how bad is TN panel?
- I also read a lot of worrying things about both XB241H (non-homogeneous contrast or brightness?! due to internal power unit) and PG248Q (horrible color banding mainly), not mentioning the overall bad color representation etc... This is quite worrying due to the price that I am willing to pay and knowing that I have never noticed anything like that before even with my cheap laptop's screen.
-PG258Q (554£) vs XB241H (371£) price difference is around 200£ in the UK, is that difference justifiable, can't I still not get a decent IPS high refresh rate panel for that price : 554£/711$?

As for the AOC the price difference between XB241H and AOC is only 16£ in the UK. So not much gain if I choose AOC.

Just overall worried about being disappointed as my rig will cost quiet a lot including the PC.