Troubleshooting my XL2540 :(

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kebbab

Troubleshooting my XL2540 :(

Post by kebbab » 27 May 2017, 20:25

Hey all, I recently bought a XL2540 and it was all fine besides the one dead pixel that really bugged me. So I bought a 2nd one with the intention of returning the first one. The second one has no dead pixels but for whatever reason, when I move my mouse around while I'm in a game the picture gets very "grainy"??? I'm not sure how to describe it other than that there are pixel sized square shapes all over my screen. This only happens when I move my mouse in game. I've fiddled with every setting I could find in the menu but I can't seem to figure out why its doing that. The first XL2540 with the dead pixel doesn't seem to do that on the same settings. Any help would be appreciated!

edit--
Another way I would describe it is that it gets a very subtle and opaque screen door look superimposed onto the image.

lexlazootin

Re: Troubleshooting my XL2540 :(

Post by lexlazootin » 28 May 2017, 00:41

Is it possible to take a picture? Does it happen on darker colours? It kinda maybe sounds like FRC but probably not if it only happens on the one display.

Might be a defect.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 May 2017, 12:06

If the pixel is not actually dead but simply stuck (easy to confuse the two,) you might be able to repair it here:

http://www.jscreenfix.com

If it doesn't go away after an hour or so, then it's probably dead.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 May 2017, 15:09

Keep in mind that it's possible that a full pixel can be dead (unrecoverable) or a SUBPIXEL can also be dead (also unrecoverable).
A subpixel is an individual red, blue or green pixel, while a full pixel is the array of the three subpixels. A stuck pixel or subpixel can SOMETIMES be fixed, but not always; some try a massage treatment (very carefully) and some use Jscreenfix Deluxe (freeware now). It's sometimes difficult to determine if a subpixel is stuck or dead.

kebbab

Post by kebbab » 28 May 2017, 18:21

Yeah I was fairly certain that it was a dead green subpixel but I let jscreenfix run overnight anyways and it didn't help. The massaging trick didn't help either. It's magenta on a white screen and fine on black/red/blue screens while showing up as black on green. I guess I'll go ahead and send the 2nd one back too seeing as I can't seem to fix the screen door thing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2017, 10:22

"Video noise" during mouse movements?

That's a signal of poor shielding (either as manufacturing defect, or because you shifted cables around)

Try moving your video cable further away from your power cable and mouse cables.

Try a new DisplayPort cable, it might have become bad (loose connection) to the point where interference from USB is starting to inject itself into the DisplayPort signal. DisplayPort signals are VERY fragile due to their high bandwidth, and very prone to disruptions by external noise, or from damage caused by strain of a pulled cable at the graphics card. Be careful!

Even try a separate power output. Also try better grounding for your computer, this can indicate an electrical grounding fault.

Before shipping back, try spending a little bit of time diagnosing this first.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!