Juddery 30FPS on 60hz CRT

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
HappehLemons

Juddery 30FPS on 60hz CRT

Post by HappehLemons » 19 Feb 2014, 12:15

Made a thread recently about getting a HD CRT monitor. Great news is that I finally got my hands on one! 60FPS games look AMAZING but when it comes to 30 FPS I get a double image effect when panning the camera. This happens on the 30FPS ufo test and when I'm playing a game that is locked at 30fps. I play a lot of console games so using software to get around this isn't an option.

Is there any way possible to fix this? Is there no way to fix the monitors refresh rate of 30hz? One possible resolution that works is using a "frame smoothing" feature that some modern LCD tvs have that really fixes this. Although this introduces some input lag. Does anyone have more experience with this? Is there any hardware I can introduce to fix this?

Thanks for any help

Please keep in mind I'm playing console games here!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Juddery 30FPS on 60hz CRT

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2014, 13:14

Double-image effect always occur during half framerate situations on flicker/strobed displays (e.g. CRT 30fps@60Hz, plasma 30fps@60Hz, LightBoost 60fps@120Hz, etc). It is unavoidable.

You can buy a television that converts the 30fps to full 60Hz frame rate or 120Hz frame rate (framrate == refreshrate), but many of those are LCD televisions and some of that effect is undesirable (soap opera effect / interpolation artifacts) combined with heavy amounts of lag (~80-100ms+). There is also Sony's Motionflow Impulse which is really low lag (+1 extra frame latency) but it's pure strobe and uses no interpolation, so it requires 60fps@60Hz to work best.

The easiest way to get zero motion blur nirvana is to join the "PC Master Race" and play the PC versions of the same games, at full framerate == refreshrate on any impulse-driven display (CRT, plasma, LightBoost, Turbo240, Sony Motionflow Impulse, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 19 Feb 2014, 13:17

Running the CRT at 30Hz would fry your eyes. So that's not recommended.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

HappehLemons

Post by HappehLemons » 19 Feb 2014, 13:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Double-image effect always occur during half framerate situations on flicker/strobed displays (e.g. CRT 30fps@60Hz, plasma 30fps@60Hz, LightBoost 60fps@120Hz, etc). It is unavoidable.

You can buy a television that converts the 30fps to full frame rate (framrate == refreshrate), but many of those are LCD televisions and some of that effect is undesirable (soap opera effect / interpolation artifacts) combined with heavy amounts of lag (~80-100ms+). There is also Sony's Motionflow Impulse which is really low lag (+1 extra frame latency) but it's pure strobe and uses no interpolation, so it requires 60fps@60Hz to work best.

The easiest way to get zero motion blur nirvana is to join the "PC Master Race" and play the PC versions of the same games, at full framerate == refreshrate on any impulse-driven display (CRT, plasma, LightBoost, Turbo240, Sony Motionflow Impulse, etc).
Thank you! That was very useful information. I'm pretty interested in the Sony Motionfow. I'm going to give it a try. I would love to switch over to using a PC, but a lot of the games I play aren't available on the PC so it's simply not an option. I am concerned about input lag though..

Haste

Post by Haste » 19 Feb 2014, 13:50

HappehLemons wrote: I'm pretty interested in the Sony Motionfow. I'm going to give it a try.
Your CRT is a better Solution than a Sony's Motionflow Impulse TV:
You would still get the double-image effect with it anyway. And you would get that "+1 extra frame latency" (around 16.7 msec) added to the imput lag chain.

HappehLemons

Post by HappehLemons » 19 Feb 2014, 13:54

Haste wrote:
HappehLemons wrote: I'm pretty interested in the Sony Motionfow. I'm going to give it a try.
Your CRT is a better Solution than a Sony's Motionflow Impulse TV:
You would still get the double-image effect with it anyway. And you would get that "+1 extra frame latency" (around 16.7 msec) added to the imput lag chain.
Ah, that's unfortunate. So is there is no way at all to get around the double image effect when using home consoles? I'm willing to go to great lengths to remove this, I'm open to pretty crazy solutions if there are any.

Haste

Post by Haste » 19 Feb 2014, 14:06

Unfortunately, no.

Either you go for low persistence display like your CRT and you get the double image effect when the game runs at 30fps

Either you go for a sample and hold display like a normal LCD TV: No double-image effect. But big trade-off in the form of imput lag and double the amount of motion blurring.

It's a shame game companies are still producing games running at only 30 fps in this day and age. :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2014, 14:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The easiest way to get zero motion blur nirvana is to join the "PC Master Race" and play the PC versions of the same games, at full framerate == refreshrate on any impulse-driven display (CRT, plasma, LightBoost, Turbo240, Sony Motionflow Impulse, etc).
Just restating the easiest way to eliminate the double image effect permanently, while getting all the zero motion blur benefits.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 19 Feb 2014, 17:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:The easiest way to get zero motion blur nirvana is to join the "PC Master Race" and play the PC versions of the same games, at full framerate == refreshrate on any impulse-driven display (CRT, plasma, LightBoost, Turbo240, Sony Motionflow Impulse, etc).
Just restating the easiest way to eliminate the double image effect permanently, while getting all the zero motion blur benefits.
Yes. I will never go back to console gaming after having left PC gaming, gone console for a short time and returning to a wonderful world of awesome.

Back in the day when hitting 60FPS constantly was a near pipe-dream without dropping loads of $$$, it wasn't as critical, but as an FPS player, Skyrim lover, and hardware geek, hitting 120+ FPS with fluid motion makes my 55in plasma look like a projection TV.

nuninho1980

Post by nuninho1980 » 19 Feb 2014, 19:30

Juddery (=30fps@60Hz) is normal because any game has only up to 30 fps CAPPED OR heavy CPU/GPU of console causes drop to 30 fps! What's your game??

If your game "answered" has for PC then you should change from console to PC because PC is more powerful than consoles. ;)
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D