Acer XF270HUA Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Death_Lotus

Acer XF270HUA Overdrive

Post by Death_Lotus » 29 May 2017, 12:29

Hey,

I recently bought this monitor and I don't know what to do now.
My problem is that I've got a perfect panel (without any dust, dead pixels, just light bleed), after I've tried some MG279Qs without any success, but it appears to be that FreeSync and Overdrive is not working together.

Acer says, that Overdrive is adapting automatically, when FreeSync is activated.

I compared all the overdrive settings including FreeSync mode using the UFO test.

With FreeSync on the ghosting is comparable to the overdrive setting "off".
Can somebody tell me, how to see/detect ghosting in games?
I tried to detect it in BF4 and CS and I switched the overdrive setting on and off, but I just can't see any difference at all.
At least I can say, that there is more blur and 144 Hz does not feel alright anymore.
But I notice ghosting in the UFO test or when scrolling text on a white background really fast.

Otherwise when removing the FreeSync range with CRU and using the monitor in it's normale mode and Overdrive set on "normal" or "extreme" it's a very nice and fun monitor.

I think I'm either blind or just insensitive regarding ghosting in games?

As far as I understand FreeSync only works in 3D-applications and it does not support browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc.).
Is this the reason why Overdrive does not work using the UFO test?
Although I'm getting the same weird 144 Hz feeling with FreeSync as with Overdrive set to "off".

Such a bummer for a 529€ monitor.
Samsung's VAs also has issues with FreeSync, but I will try the new C24FG73 once it's released.
I will lose the nice resolution, but I'll get strobbing and maybe finally a flawless monitor. :(
Maybe G-Sync is better after all and I should switch to Nvidia...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer XF270HUA Overdrive

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2017, 14:54

If you're talking about overdrive during FreeSync mode -- it's worth noting that FreeSync monitors disable overdrive when FreeSync is enabled.

This is changing quickly though, as scalers in FreeSync monitors slowly gain ability to do variable-overdrive that is needed to make overdrive look really good with FreeSync. Only GSYNC consistently use fairly good variable-overdrive algorithms at this moment -- it's extra processing overhead to have variable-overdrive (which is necessary for good overdrive during variable refresh rates) and it's missing from many monitor scalers.

FreeSync 2 -- the new generation -- will consistently have variable overdrive (I think).

But you also say that you only see overdrive problems at desktop, right?
And not in games?

There is at least one FreeSync monitor model that advertises itself as having variable overdrive (offhand, I can't remember which one). But if you're looking for consistently good VRR and also have a blur reduction mode, it's often easier to go with GSYNC -- although it costs more.

BlurBusters lists:
- Official List of GSYNC Monitors
- Official List of FreeSync Monitors
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2017, 16:16

Unfortunately, only G-Sync has guaranteed quality overdrive at this time (it's implemented by nvidia in the g-sync module, NOT by the monitor vendor.) As Chief said, Freesync 2 will be better at this. Although I don't know how much better. Is AMD implementing the overdrive for all Freesync 2 monitors? Because if not, it can still suck.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Death_Lotus

Post by Death_Lotus » 29 May 2017, 16:49

Thanks for your replies!
If you're talking about overdrive during FreeSync mode -- it's worth noting that FreeSync monitors disable overdrive when FreeSync is enabled.
Is this correct?
I know only about the Acer monitors, that people are complaining about Overdrive not working.
But you also say that you only see overdrive problems at desktop, right?
And not in games?
Yes, I'm also confused.

When using the UFO test:
OFF --> severe ghosting
NORMAL --> ghosting almost gone
EXTREME --> severe overshoot
FreeSync --> severe ghosting

I just tested it again in BF1 and CS:GO without FreeSync.
I can't see any difference between those settings.
I neither see ghosting nor overshoot.

Do you have an example where I should look for in CS:GO, BF1, BF4?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2017, 17:21

In CS:GO, open the console and move the mouse cursor over it. The white cursor vs the dark background of the console is a good test to spot ghosting.

Edit:

The Steam overlay with the steam store page open in-game is also good for this. Hell, you might even try opening testufo in the in-game steam overlay... (Although it will probably not work due to freesync, but you might be able to test for ghosting.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2017, 21:26

RealNC wrote:The Steam overlay with the steam store page open in-game is also good for this. Hell, you might even try opening testufo in the in-game steam overlay... (Although it will probably not work due to freesync, but you might be able to test for ghosting.)
I ran TestUFO in a Chrome window next to a windowed GSYNC game, and the TestUFO framerate varied with the game. However, there were huge amounts of stutter in TestUFO, as Chrome isn't currently VRR-aware.

There may be a browser engine that could be more VRR-friendly eventually.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2017, 21:54

Probably for the suggestion box: add an option to select frames per second in testufo. Makes it useful for cases where vsync isn't possible.

Death_Lotus

Post by Death_Lotus » 30 May 2017, 08:21

So I tried to detect ghosting using the suggested console variant in CS:GO.

Thank you so much RealNC, it worked.

OFF: Ghosting.
NORMAL: Still a little bit ghosting.
EXTREME: Ghosting is gone.

Now that I know what to look for, I activated FreeSync mode once again and I also played around with the "fps_max x" command.
FreeSync worked, but either for 139 FPS or unlimited, Overdrive does not change and the ghosting is comparable to the Overdrive setting OFF.

I can confirm that the people over at OCN are right and the FreeSync-Overdrive implementation on this monitor is broken.

BTW, I tried to use the UFO test within the Steam overlay, but it's limited to 62 Hz for whatever reason.

I also tested on my old monitor once again Overdrive and FreeSync (LG 24MP68VQ) and it works, but Overdrive does not adapt automatically.

Well I guess im looking at the new C24FG73 (349€) or the S2417DG (380€) now.
But reading on the one hand about the purple/green issue and on the other hand about TN colours and banding this will be a whole new topic.

Thank you again for your replies and this amazing site.
I've already learnt alot reading through the forums.

Death_Lotus

Post by Death_Lotus » 26 Apr 2018, 04:14

Hello,

I think I'm stupid enough either to believe random people in random online boards or to understand this monitor.
Therefore I have got a new monitor with the hope of a firmware fix, since everyone and their mothers are claiming that overdrive perfectly works with FreeSync and even Lim's Cave agrees without any evidence.

The new monitor is from October 2017.
Again the unit is in pretty good condition (No pixel defects, none/minor backlightbleed, typical IPS glow).

I tried to take some UFO pictures with different Overdrive settings.
Sorry, but I tried my best to take a picture in motion. At least you can see the different ghosting in the upper most UFO line.
Overdrive off and Overdrive normal with FreeSync look identical irl.
I've used the newest AMD drivers, R390 and the newest version of Firefox.

Acer claims that the overdrive is adaptive with FreeSync.
So is overdrive only applied when FreeSync is being used (40-143 Hz)?
Does it only work ingame?

I compared the ghosting with my C24FG73. When Overdrive is off, it's even worse than the VA panel.

I don't know what the deal with people is. Everyone is claiming that overdrive works, no ghosting, no smearing nothing.
Is it maybe even I, that is wrong?

I will look for some smearing/ghosting tests in BF1 today.

https://imgur.com/a/zeoCcgK

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 26 Apr 2018, 15:39

Last edited by GammaLyrae on 10 Dec 2019, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.