New iPad has 120Hz + Multiple Refresh Rate!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

New iPad has 120Hz + Multiple Refresh Rate!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2017, 13:54

WWDC just announced the new Apple iPad has "ProMotion" support -- multiple refresh rates, 24Hz, 48Hz, and....

...And 120Hz on an iPad!

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: New iPad has 120Hz + Multiple Refresh Rate!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2017, 15:00

Big questions:

Can it support fully dynamic variable refresh rate (ala FreeSync) for iPad games?

Can it run 120fps animations in Safari at testufo.com?

Can it play 120fps videos at realtime 120fps framerate?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 05 Jun 2017, 15:40

I wonder if the new Ipads will use LCDs or OLEDs.

I hope LCD, if only for the fact that it will be dirt cheap to buy replacement panels on ebay for them and build 4K / 5K gaming projectors out of them, with 120hz! Sweet. I might get back into the DIY game if / when that happens.

It's pretty much pointless to hope or wait for big projector companies to support 120hz (at any resolution), or even 3D these days. Sad!

Xx123456xX

Post by Xx123456xX » 06 Jun 2017, 11:03

This is pretty cool news. Will it be actual 120Hz or interpolated? If the former, it'll be great to be able to view native 120fps content on devices other than monitors and laptops.

Haste

Post by Haste » 06 Jun 2017, 14:53

Note that there are already 120Hz smartphones.

For example: https://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/produ ... aquos-xx3/

But if Apple is in it, then it has a lot more chance of going mainstream.

edit: also some articles about this:

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/a ... -ipad-pro/

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/c ... z-screens/

http://www.gsmarena.com/understanding_a ... -25446.php
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 07 Jun 2017, 06:08

I totally agree with all the guy wrote in the last link there about it being way overkill to increase resolution any more, at least for non-VR scenarios, and that framerate / refresh rate going up to 120 is the best big thing.

I do wonder what those 10 inch panels will have: 10-bit? HDR? WCG? What signalling interface, eDP with VRR?

What's the aperture ratio I wonder (how much light gets absorbed in each LCD cell). As soon as replacement displays hit up ebay (for repair purposes), then things should get interesting. I'm sick, sick of all the projector manufacturers out there thumbing their noses at us gamers who want 120hz at a decent resolution. And if I do a DIY with one of these, and the aperture is high enough, it might be possible to use dual layers to get that elusive 1M:1 contrast ratio which makes HDR pop.

Of course the non 16:9 aspect ratio isn't ideal but with projection one can always just use masking to frame it into a FHD aspect (or Scope for movies). Then again, 1M:1 doesn't need masking, it'll already be black as pitch.

fury

Post by fury » 17 Jun 2017, 19:46

They finally listened to me, I told them years ago to do 120, you’re welcome ;)

I have been playing around with the new Pro 12.9. Everything feels faster, even opening apps, because of that 16ms -> 8ms refresh rate difference (and they probably also cut down the input lag to match). Scrolling is pretty smooth as long as it’s done by my finger—I’ve noticed that animations in Safari (such as those auto-scrolling single-page websites that have custom scroll behaviors, and TestUFO) are limited to 60 FPS. Oversight maybe? Or they could’ve just been super strapped for time and had to put off increasing the JavaScript and whatnot engine speed until a later date

I viewed a couple 120 FPS videos in the browser, but I am not entirely sure if it handled them correctly because I didn’t have a side by side comparison between 60 and 120 (it’s been a while since I’ve seen 120, had to sell my PG278Q). I bet TestUFO could be encoded as a 120 FPS video (or baked into an app?) in the meantime til Safari gets patched to do 120 FPS.

I sure hope this increased visibility of 120 hz drives it more into the mainstream. I want 120 hz touchscreens for my PC and Raspberry Pi!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2017, 20:59

I am currently reaching out to Apple about adding 120fps support to Safari.

Programmers/Geeks (familiar with BugZilla-like systems), I encourage you to follow up at these two bug threads on WebKit:

1. https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165694 (responding here will automatically send email to several Apple employees)
2. https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=173434 (Safari 120Hz support, followed by only 1 Apple employee)

Be respectful, polite, and nice when you follow up.
The experienced people, including RealNC, spacediver, Jorim, you might want to chime in, too.

David J

Post by David J » 19 Jun 2017, 11:45

fury wrote: I viewed a couple 120 FPS videos in the browser, but I am not entirely sure if it handled them correctly because I didn’t have a side by side comparison between 60 and 120 (it’s been a while since I’ve seen 120, had to sell my PG278Q). I bet TestUFO could be encoded as a 120 FPS video (or baked into an app?) in the meantime til Safari gets patched to do 120 FPS.
I have the 10.5". The 120 FPS sample videos here play back great. You can limit the new Pros to 60 Hz in settings > general > accessibility > display accommodations if you want to compare.

I see no evidence that the new Pros support any kind of freesync. In included Apple apps such as Maps, refresh rate is reduced to what appears to be 60 Hz if it can't keep up with the 120 rate.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jun 2017, 12:15

David J wrote:
fury wrote: I viewed a couple 120 FPS videos in the browser, but I am not entirely sure if it handled them correctly because I didn’t have a side by side comparison between 60 and 120 (it’s been a while since I’ve seen 120, had to sell my PG278Q). I bet TestUFO could be encoded as a 120 FPS video (or baked into an app?) in the meantime til Safari gets patched to do 120 FPS.
I have the 10.5". The 120 FPS sample videos here play back great. You can limit the new Pros to 60 Hz in settings > general > accessibility > display accommodations if you want to compare.
Good to know that 120fps realtime videos work on the new iPads!

BTW, slow motion-videos can easily be converted to real-time true 120fps@120Hz video.