ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, motion tests & TestUFO, monitor decisions, and more. Questions? Just ask!

ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Hemanse » 15 Jun 2017, 12:04

Im currently on the lookout for a new monitor and found 2 people quite close to me selling slightly used ones, 1 guy is selling a Asus PG248Q and the other is selling a Benq XL2720Z.

Im running a GTX 970, so the GSYNC on the Asus is obviously a bit of a plus, but after reading reviews im kinda torn between them both, so i thought maybe someone in here could steer me in the right direction ;)

Which one would you choose in terms of responsiveness, picture quality and overall quality?

Here are the link to the sellers (danish site, but they included pictures):
http://www.dba.dk/benq-xl2720z-27-tomme ... 5171ab24a8 - Benq XL2720Z
http://www.dba.dk/asus-fladskaerm-pg248 ... ac2acac02f Asus PG248Q
User avatar
Hemanse
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 11:53

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jun 2017, 12:39

What's your priorities:

  • 144 Hz quality?
    ......Apples vs apples comparision; 180Hz is usually lower quality, but good to have
  • GSYNC?
    ......Are you stutter sensitive? GSYNC Leans ASUS.
  • Blur Reduction.
    ......Are you motion blur sensitive? ASUS has ULMB which is easy, while XL2720Z supports Strobe Utility
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Hemanse » 15 Jun 2017, 13:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:What's your priorities:

  • 144 Hz quality?
    ......Apples vs apples comparision; 180Hz is usually lower quality, but good to have
  • GSYNC?
    ......Are you stutter sensitive? GSYNC Leans ASUS.
  • Blur Reduction.
    ......Are you motion blur sensitive? ASUS has ULMB which is easy, while XL2720Z supports Strobe Utility

Im currently on a XL2410T which is 120Hz, been happy with it and cant say that i have noticed anything in terms of stutter and motion blur or maybe im just so used to it now that i dont notice it :)

My biggest concern when it comes to getting a new monitor is backlight bleeding, but thats really down to each monitor and atleast i can see the 2 im currently looking at in person before buying.

Edit: The Asus guy posted some pictures and im not all that impressed with the backlight on that one, might just pick up the XL2720Z, its also cheaper and pretty much unused, i mean its still in its plastic :)
User avatar
Hemanse
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 11:53

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jun 2017, 21:24

Both monitors have their great attributes.
However, based on what you said, the XL2720Z is probably the lower-risk purchase for you.

You're concerned about backlight bleed, you're used to the XL2410 picture, and the 144Hz will be an improvement in addition to gaining blur reduction capability (the clarity improvement can be quite dramatic -- just remember to calibrate with Strobe Utility to reduce strobe crosstalk)

That said, if you can test the monitors out (bring your tower computer to allow you to try out GSYNC). Preinstall the latest NVIDIA drivers, make sure you're ready to enable GSYNC, and get ready to launch one of your very framerate-fluctuating games.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Hemanse » 16 Jun 2017, 12:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Both monitors have their great attributes.
However, based on what you said, the XL2720Z is probably the lower-risk purchase for you.

You're concerned about backlight bleed, you're used to the XL2410 picture, and the 144Hz will be an improvement in addition to gaining blur reduction capability (the clarity improvement can be quite dramatic -- just remember to calibrate with Strobe Utility to reduce strobe crosstalk)

That said, if you can test the monitors out (bring your tower computer to allow you to try out GSYNC). Preinstall the latest NVIDIA drivers, make sure you're ready to enable GSYNC, and get ready to launch one of your very framerate-fluctuating games.


Thanks for all the tips. In the end i hav found a guy in my city that is selling a 6 month old XL2411 for 150$, so gonna pick that up on sunday, from my understand its the most barebone monitor in the Benq lineup, but im guessing its pretty much the same as the XL2720z except for some features and a smaller screen, cant imagine the picture quality is that much different, just gotta tune the colors like my XL2410T that came with HORRIBLE out of the box colors and picture settings in general.
User avatar
Hemanse
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 11:53

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Falkentyne » 16 Jun 2017, 17:57

Keep in mind the XL2411 does NOT have a displayport connector (this is a serious problem if trying to use any current laptop or certain video cards), and there is gamma degradation as you increase refresh rate past 60hz (all of the AUO M240HW01 V8 panels have this issue). The XL2720Z is not affected by gamma change at higher refresh rates, so the same OSD gamma setting can be used at most settings you want
Falkentyne
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: 26 Mar 2014, 07:23

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby RealNC » 16 Jun 2017, 18:28

That's quite an old monitor. 120Hz panels were still somewhat new back then and so these drawbacks were often accepted as a trade-off. Nowadays, there's no reason to get this monitor. There's better alternatives.

It will do the job, but image quality isn't exactly stellar...
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
User avatar
RealNC
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Hemanse » 17 Jun 2017, 14:01

Falkentyne wrote:Keep in mind the XL2411 does NOT have a displayport connector (this is a serious problem if trying to use any current laptop or certain video cards), and there is gamma degradation as you increase refresh rate past 60hz (all of the AUO M240HW01 V8 panels have this issue). The XL2720Z is not affected by gamma change at higher refresh rates, so the same OSD gamma setting can be used at most settings you want


RealNC wrote:That's quite an old monitor. 120Hz panels were still somewhat new back then and so these drawbacks were often accepted as a trade-off. Nowadays, there's no reason to get this monitor. There's better alternatives.

It will do the job, but image quality isn't exactly stellar...


The reason why i wanted to go with the XL2411 was due to the fact that the guy with the XL2720Z got an offer yesterday and someone was gonna pick it up, the guy never showed up tho, so i picked up the XL2720Z a few hours ago.

No time to set it up today tho, just ran a quick dead /stuck pixel test and everything was good, its got a little bit of backlight bleed, but every setting on the monitor is also maxed out, gamma, saturation and black equalizer, which i guess just enhances bleeding that much more. Im guessing someone made a nice guide somewhere to set it up properly or i can find a profile.

The guy used it on his Playstation 4 and really didnt know much about PCs, why he would use a 144Hz monitor on a PS4 i dont know.

Now i just gotta figure out how to fit this damn thing on my desk, my desk isnt exactly small, but a 27" monitor sure does feel quite a bit bigger than a 24".
User avatar
Hemanse
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 11:53

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2017, 16:24

Hemanse wrote:why he would use a 144Hz monitor on a PS4 i dont know.

The XL2720Z is one of the few monitors with single-strobe blur reduction at 60Hz.

This makes it a wonderful PS4 monitor if you're very motion-blur-sensitive.

60Hz single-strobe has less ghosting & less motion blur than 144Hz non-blur-reduced. Much like a 60Hz CRT.

Flickers eye-searingly like hell if you're flicker sensitive though. Like a 60Hz CRT. But if you get more eye pain from motion blur (believe it or not, some do!!!) then this is the lesser of evil. That said, most people are more flicker-sensitive and go well with PWM-free and have to put up with all the motion blur.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: ASUS PG248Q vs Benq XL2720Z

Postby Hemanse » 17 Jun 2017, 17:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Hemanse wrote:why he would use a 144Hz monitor on a PS4 i dont know.

The XL2720Z is one of the few monitors with single-strobe blur reduction at 60Hz.

This makes it a wonderful PS4 monitor if you're very motion-blur-sensitive.

60Hz single-strobe has less ghosting & less motion blur than 144Hz non-blur-reduced. Much like a 60Hz CRT.

Flickers eye-searingly like hell if you're flicker sensitive though. Like a 60Hz CRT. But if you get more eye pain from motion blur (believe it or not, some do!!!) then this is the lesser of evil. That said, most people are more flicker-sensitive and go well with PWM-free and have to put up with all the motion blur.


Alright, gotta play around with it tomorrow when i get some time to set it up. I heard someone say something about other firmware and the strobe utility. Also have to figure out some settings for picture quality, the guy just had everything cranked to the max, almost blinded me when i turned it on for the first time :shock:
User avatar
Hemanse
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 11:53

Next

Return to General - Displays, Graphics & More

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests