Can I upgrade firmware for Samsung Monitors? (Serviceports?)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Death_Lotus

Post by Death_Lotus » 13 Jul 2017, 08:16

Hey,

I've seen posts about some BenQ monitors, which could be flashed with a different firmware.
I can't find something like that for other monitors.
Do the BenQ ones differ from the other ones regarding service ports or something?
I'm interested in the new Samsung monitors and they have a service port mentioned in the manual.
I'd love to just update my monitor, instead of sending it in for 3-4 weeks and hoping they don't damage it.

Are there any further topics/links to read on about this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jul 2017, 11:01

Unfortunately, information about firmware upgrades of many brands of monitors are virtually non-existent.

We got lucky that the community discovered multiple ways to flash many models of BenQ/Zowie monitors due to the Version 2 Firmware deployments of the Benq XL2720Z. Including techniques that only requires a Linux OS (no service port needed, no dongle needed), transmitting firmware over the video cable via DDC/CI signalling.

I do feel that more monitor manufacturers need to introduce an industry standard way of deploying firmware upgrades for high-end computer monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!