I got my new Acer Predator XB272 G-Sync in today!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Re: I got my new Acer Predator XB272 G-Sync in today!

Post by lexlazootin » 17 Aug 2017, 08:05

Pretty much out of the box haha, i accidentally switch it on all the time.

All you have to do is adjust one value and enable ULMB and G-Sync.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 17 Aug 2017, 09:36

Sumeri wrote: G-Sync + ULMB work out the box or some tinkering is required?
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883

Check that thread. There are lots of pages of discussion and experimentation, but in the last pages (and the edited OP) you'll see the easiest methods, which are very easy to do. Apart from that, following this guide (http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3501) you'll be able to overclock your monitor a bit, or use lower refresh rates.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Mar 2018, 11:43

Shameless repost, so that more people would see this info:

darzo wrote:Overwatch has been known to have weird issues with newer cards not reflecting them being better. That said your CPU should be replaced and should account for the problem, although then you might need a new motherboard and while you're at it new RAM. I'd be curious what power supply you have as well. It also depends what settings you're playing on. I have a 1080 with an i7 7700k oced to 5 ghz and I have to have the settings on their lowest values to have a floor of 237 fps.

There are two reasons not to buy the monitor in question. One, it might have a buzzing from the power light area at 240hz. Two, you find 24.5 inches fine or even preferable and want to save a bit of money. I have this monitor and imo it's the best out there. Not only is its size helpful, but contrary to what most people will claim, my impression is its picture is better than the Asus monitor, which I tried as well. The panel supplier might be the same but apparently there's a good deal these companies do themselves.

I've purchased the XF270HA (which I'm sending back tomorrow)... and found that it's basically the same thing as the XB272...which I find ridiculous... it has the same buzzing noise that you described, coming from the power light area at 240hz, the same exact joystick+4 button layout...same EVERYTHING from the outside at least, this is a fact.
The only difference is the acer badge on the front, which is there instead of the predator one; and of course, it has a different stand.

Now on to what are just speculations:
I think it even has the same internals, minus the g-sync unit...
hence the reason for the lower price and sub-par calibration, which results in framskipping at 240hz. (though the colors are still really nice for a TN...worlds apart from an xl2411z, and even a hair better than the Alienware 25)
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Mar 2018, 12:03

"and found that it's basically the same thing as the XB272...which I find ridiculous..."

Why do you find it ridiculous? They have 240hz panels and they need to make a monitor that supports FreeSync and one that supports G-Sync. It makes sense to release two near identical monitors supporting separate specs.

I love my self some G-Sync, it sucks that it's proprietary and only works with Nvidia but this is one of the main reasons why i love G-Sync, gaming companies kinda suck at making monitors.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Mar 2018, 12:36

I find it ridiculous because of two reasons:
First, they are selling the same exact monitor, (with the same mediocre build quality, compared to the Alienware 25 for example) with a huge price premium, just because it has g-sync and the calibration that comes with it.
Second, even though they outed the freesync variant afterwards, they didn't bother to put their previous experience with the panel to use... since it frameskips hard.

(Unlike Dell, who provide just as good overdrive, colors, frameskip-less experience and similarly reduced price with their freesync variant of the same monitor...)
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Mar 2018, 15:39

NVidia wants their cut. It's not only the price of the gsync FPGA modules (I think modern monitors now have two of them? Urban myth?) that raises the price. It's also the license cost on top of that.

G-Sync is actually sold for profit by nvidia and they charge as much as they can get away with.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2018, 18:49

RealNC wrote:NVidia wants their cut. It's not only the price of the gsync FPGA modules (I think modern monitors now have two of them? Urban myth?) that raises the price. It's also the license cost on top of that.

G-Sync is actually sold for profit by nvidia and they charge as much as they can get away with.
FPGAs are used when you don't yet have a processor/ASIC necessary. I think that by now, NVIDIA has a more integrated GSYNC chip instead of needing to use more-expensive Xilinx FPGA's.

The implementation of variable refresh rate overdrive is one major feature of the processor -- that is an extremely challenging part of good-looking variable refresh rate. Having very good variable refresh rate overdrive is important -- otherwise you get strange ghosting effects during variable refresh rate operations, even having to put up with completely disabled overdrive (more ghosting). Historically, GSYNC monitors had better variable-overdrive algorithms than FreeSync, this is still usually true, but not always true anymore.

Regardless of the opinion of the GSYNC "premium", we recognize the benefits:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:The many non-G-SYNC benefits of the premium sums down to:

-- G-SYNC itself
-- (non-GSYNC play) ULMB Motion Blur Reduction
-- (non-GSYNC play) Generally better and more consistent overdrive quality in fixed-Hz mode
-- (non-GSYNC play) Reportedly, some non-G-SYNC models have slightly higher lag (scant millisecond or two) for 240Hz fixed-Hz
-- (non-GSYNC play) Lower fixed-Hz lag is possible by using VRR (FreeSync or G-SYNC) as an accelerated frame delivery mechanism for fixed-framerate situations. (e.g. emulators running 240Hz G-SYNC mode, producing a 60Hz mode with the accelerated frame-delivery of 1/240sec).

That said:
-- Good FreeSync monitors do as good 240Hz non-Freesync as G-SYNC monitors do 240Hz non-G-SYNC -- at least this appears to be the case for the Viewsonic XG2530)
-- G-SYNC premium can fall to as little as $50 or less sometimes. During Cyber Monday and Black Friday, the Dell AW2518H was $429 on Amazon, which is pretty good for 240Hz G-SYNC. That's cheaper than some of the more expensive FreeSync 240Hz monitors! Might happen again Boxing Day, who knows?
-- FreeSync monitors are getting better and better, I am looking forward to seeing how the ASUS ROG STRIX XG258Q turns out -- and it has ELMB

It can be a tough decision based on the pros/cons.
The G-SYNC premium, clearly covered a lot of non-G-SYNC benefits.

In the past, if one urgently wanted to buy a random monitor quickly with fewer worries, going G-SYNC has often been the safe bet historically in the past at least -- since there has been generally less of a lottery factor on various kinds of monitor quirks and issues. This is becoming less of an issue now.

While Blur Busters has done more tests of G-SYNC than FreeSync, historically, there has indeed been benefits of the G-SYNC premium (albeit currently diminishing, with improved FreeSync displays).

That said, I've seen the best FreeSync implementations surpass the worst G-SYNC implementations.

I'm excited to also begin expanding more FreeSync coverage this year. Keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tianGO

Post by tianGO » 15 Apr 2018, 23:47

Hey guys.
I recently bought a XB272 monitor.
Unfortunately it came with a red stuck pixel, and more annoyingly, that dreaded buzzing sound (coil whine?) coming from the lower right area of the monitor (where the power cord plugs in).
Sitting around 1 meter away from the monitor, the buzzing is not that noticeable (it's not very loud), but if you pay attention you can definitely notice it, especially if you turn your head so your ears are in line with the monitor.
Also, I can definitely confirm that the buzzing is much louder at 240 hz, but even at 60 hz it makes some noise (more like a constant crackling rather than a buzzing).

This sucks because otherwise I like the monitor, and it's kind of a pain to get a replacement. I'm willing to do that though, but I'm very afraid of the possibility that the new one would have the same issue.
I haven't find much information online regarding this issue.
I have seen positive reviews of the monitor from people who have bought it, that don't mention this problem. But I don't know if that is because their monitors don't have the issue at all, or they don't notice it.

The thing is, I have very limited options to buy monitors in my country. They are VERY overpriced. I got this one imported, and I could get a replacement for free, or get a full refund, but with that money I don't have many options available to buy other monitors (I could get a Samsung C27FG73, or an Acer Predator XB-271H, which is similar to his one but only 144hz).

So, what I'm asking is, what do you think are my chances to get a new XB272 without that freaking buzzing sound? Do you think that's something that all these monitors have?

It really sucks that Acer makes 240hz monitors with the compromise of introducing this problem.
Makes me sad that I neglected several times of buying monitors because I wanted to avoid the panel lottery of IPS models, and I now entered this "coil whine lottery", lol.

Other than that, I really like how fast this screen is, the UFO test looks amazing. Even the ULMB looks super bright (I actually had to reduce the bright when I tried it). I'm liking the 240hz, too bad I can't buy the LG 27GK750F-B in my country.

Thank you very much!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 16 Apr 2018, 00:45

Have you tried using a pixel unstucker like http://www.jscreenfix.com/fix.html and pressing on the pixel with your finger?

I guess there is a coil whine but idk maybe mine is broken in or something, i need to get very close, it's very quite and my case fans under my desk are louder that i can't hear it from my sitting position.

KindOldRaven

Post by KindOldRaven » 16 Apr 2018, 02:16

A Solid lad wrote:Shameless repost, so that more people would see this info:

darzo wrote:Overwatch has been known to have weird issues with newer cards not reflecting them being better. That said your CPU should be replaced and should account for the problem, although then you might need a new motherboard and while you're at it new RAM. I'd be curious what power supply you have as well. It also depends what settings you're playing on. I have a 1080 with an i7 7700k oced to 5 ghz and I have to have the settings on their lowest values to have a floor of 237 fps.

There are two reasons not to buy the monitor in question. One, it might have a buzzing from the power light area at 240hz. Two, you find 24.5 inches fine or even preferable and want to save a bit of money. I have this monitor and imo it's the best out there. Not only is its size helpful, but contrary to what most people will claim, my impression is its picture is better than the Asus monitor, which I tried as well. The panel supplier might be the same but apparently there's a good deal these companies do themselves.

I've purchased the XF270HA (which I'm sending back tomorrow)... and found that it's basically the same thing as the XB272...which I find ridiculous... it has the same buzzing noise that you described, coming from the power light area at 240hz, the same exact joystick+4 button layout...same EVERYTHING from the outside at least, this is a fact.
The only difference is the acer badge on the front, which is there instead of the predator one; and of course, it has a different stand.

Now on to what are just speculations:
I think it even has the same internals, minus the g-sync unit...
hence the reason for the lower price and sub-par calibration, which results in framskipping at 240hz. (though the colors are still really nice for a TN...worlds apart from an xl2411z, and even a hair better than the Alienware 25)
Hmmmm.. Is that buzzing limited to the 27'' model? The XB252Q I have here doesn't do this even at 240hz. I've got this weird feeling that 27'' panels are even more issue prone than 24/25''. As I mentioned on your YT, it does have some overdrive artifacts @ 240hz when scrolling on certain webpages etc, though :roll: But that's minor for me. I'm relieved to have found a TN panel without significantly visible clouding or BLB during normal use that actually has some decent colors compared to the older models. :lol: