Got my XL2430T back from RMA! Firmware/color settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GioXmen

Got my XL2430T back from RMA! Firmware/color settings

Post by GioXmen » 02 Aug 2017, 07:45

Hi there!

I have sent my xl2430t in for RMA because of backlight issues, they replaced the power supply and updated my firmware.

Firmware is now on V8

Since my color settings have been reset, I would like to ask you ( xl2430t / xl2430) owners to post your color settings! since my settings look horrible now :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Got my XL2430T back from RMA! Firmware/color settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2017, 11:03

If no others reply quickly, you may wish to calibrate at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php -- adjust brightness/contrast alternately (back and fourth) until you see all squares show up (while blacks are dark and whites are brightest).

Also, curiously, I see the Single Strobe menu option. Traditionally, it didn't work on XL2430's

Does it work at 60Hz? (single image at http://www.testufo.com at 60Hz during Single Strobe -- it will flicker a lot). Test this for me please -- thanks! It's good for blur reduction for emulators & consoles.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GioXmen

Post by GioXmen » 02 Aug 2017, 13:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If no others reply quickly, you may wish to calibrate at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php -- adjust brightness/contrast alternately (back and fourth) until you see all squares show up (while blacks are dark and whites are brightest).

Also, curiously, I see the Single Strobe menu option. Traditionally, it didn't work on XL2430's

Does it work at 60Hz? (single image at http://www.testufo.com at 60Hz during Single Strobe -- it will flicker a lot). Test this for me please -- thanks! It's good for blur reduction for emulators & consoles.
Which specific test should I do? If it shows no issues, should I keep it on?

As for color, I seem to only be able to get it at a "usable" spot, might have to consider buying a calibration tool to do the job :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2017, 16:44

GioXmen wrote:Which specific test should I do? If it shows no issues, should I keep it on?
It's a user preference, and it only applies to low refresh rates like 60 Hz, if you use any 60fps content (60fps videos, 60fps emulators, etc).

The instructions are:
1. Turn on single-strobe
2. Switch to 60 Hz mode
3. Test http://www.testufo.com
4. Does the screen now flicker heavily?

BTW, XL2730Z should also support Blur Busters Strobe Utility too.
GioXmen wrote:As for color, I seem to only be able to get it at a "usable" spot, might have to consider buying a calibration tool to do the job :/
You can also try several presets (FPS, etc) and see if one of the presets has much easier to adjust colors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GioXmen

Post by GioXmen » 02 Aug 2017, 17:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
GioXmen wrote:Which specific test should I do? If it shows no issues, should I keep it on?
It's a user preference, and it only applies to low refresh rates like 60 Hz, if you use any 60fps content (60fps videos, 60fps emulators, etc).

The instructions are:
1. Turn on single-strobe
2. Switch to 60 Hz mode
3. Test http://www.testufo.com
4. Does the screen now flicker heavily?

BTW, XL2730Z should also support Blur Busters Strobe Utility too.
GioXmen wrote:As for color, I seem to only be able to get it at a "usable" spot, might have to consider buying a calibration tool to do the job :/
You can also try several presets (FPS, etc) and see if one of the presets has much easier to adjust colors.
Well if I was supposed to see catastrophic failure then I didn't, everything seemed to be normal.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Aug 2017, 17:53

You will only get catastrophic failure if you try to use single strobe at 50hz. (or 25hz).

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Aug 2017, 17:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If no others reply quickly, you may wish to calibrate at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php -- adjust brightness/contrast alternately (back and fourth) until you see all squares show up (while blacks are dark and whites are brightest).

Chief? I was never aware of the Single Strobe option not working on XL2430's.
Can you link me to some posts about this? Because I'm sure I would remember it if I saw it.
what I remember was *Black Equalizer* not working correctly on early firmware verisons (as in, completely unusable), and in later firmware versions, any "Color Vibrance" other than the default setting crushing whites or blacks severely.

I haven't kept up with this monitor at all lately.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2017, 11:06

Falkentyne wrote:Chief? I was never aware of the Single Strobe option not working on XL2430's.
Can you link me to some posts about this? Because I'm sure I would remember it if I saw it.
what I remember was *Black Equalizer* not working correctly on early firmware verisons (as in, completely unusable), and in later firmware versions, any "Color Vibrance" other than the default setting crushing whites or blacks severely.

I haven't kept up with this monitor at all lately.
No issue yet. I'm just trying to catch firmware bugs/regressions as quickly as possible. It's hard to track, with the larger number of monitors + larger number of firmwares.

I am also working to make Blur Busters Strobe Utility support every single >144Hz BenQ/Zowie series monitor (at least for strobe duty/phase) released since the first Z-series. Version 1.6 will be the first version of Strobe Utility supporting every currently-being-sold 144Hz+ BenQ/Zowie. (hopefully)