LG 24GM79G-B 144hz (5ms GTG, 1ms MBR)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
marcus1994

LG 24GM79G-B 144hz (5ms GTG, 1ms MBR)

Post by marcus1994 » 05 Aug 2017, 17:02

Hello everyone!

I'm looking this monitor: LG 24GM79G-B
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24GM79 ... ng-monitor

The monitor has 5ms Gray to Gray and 1ms Motion Blur Reduction.
This is too bad?
I will buy it because of the MBR(Ligthboost) and the quality of display.

If this monitor is not good, tell me one with this price $200-$270
Thanks!

Edit: 5ms GTG is too bad for FPS Games?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 24GM79G-B 144hz (5ms GTG, 1ms MBR)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Aug 2017, 20:35

I have heard the display is excellent quality at a decent price, and if you don't use MBR, it's fine.

This is a modern TN panel. "5ms TN GtG" is really no slower than "1ms TN GtG"
Technical Explanation: The monitor is modern fast 24" TN panel so it's really 1ms GtG(90%) when measured from 10% pixel transition to 90% pixel transition. GtG10%->GtG90% have consistently taken less than 5ms on newer TN gaming monitors. The GtG100% number is much better and may very well be 5ms. Unusually, LG used the bigger GtG numbers a little to 5ms, to make their "1ms MBR" advertising look even better. But GtG of a typical 24" TN panel is actually only 1ms to 90% pixel transition. Most modern high-Hz TN panels are roughly the same in GtG speed, so it's not really a 1ms-vs-5ms difference. Also, even if GtG takes 5ms to finish -- the transition is still human visible in the first 1ms, despite the 5ms GtG. (this doesn't include monitor motherboard/signal processing lag -- that can vary between monitors). It may very well be black go to almost-white in 1ms, then it takes the remainder of several milliseconds to go from almost-white to full-white. LG listed 5ms GtG, but I have never seen a 5ms GtG90% monitor for more than 10 years -- even my Samsung 245BW from 2006 had 2ms GtG90%. So you're likely fine FPS-wise, as long as LG is one of the typical low-lag "1ms TN" (manufacturers often have labels such as Instant Mode, Lagless Mode, etc).

Recent improvements to LG MBR is currently untested
Be noted, for various different models of LG monitors (at least the 24GM77) -- the LG MBR implementation is historically a little spotty Several models of LG have severe strobe crosstalk during MBR -- See blurbusters.com/crosstalk and testufo.com/crosstalk .... I sent a message to LG's engineers to tell them about our strobe-backlight engineering HOWTO since multiple homebrew modders have built better homebrew strobe backlights than LG's first attempt at a strobe backlight (24GM77). I'm pretty certain their newer models have improved since the 24GM77 days, partially thanks to my reporting back to most of the monitor manufacturers. The 24GM79 is probably much better, but need to see strobe-crosstalk tests.

Multiple Options
Currently (as far as I know) -- the best monitors in terms of strobe crosstalk has tended to be either NVIDIA's ULMB/LightBoost or the highly-adjustable BenQ/Zowie. We have a custom Blur Busters Strobe Utility that supports most recent models of BenQ/Zowie eSports monitors. Alternatively, if you don't want a TN panel -- other monitors with excellent Blur Reduction on IPS panels are the 165Hz IPS GSYNC monitors found in our List of Best Gaming Monitors but those are above $270.

If you're happy to take a chance -- $270 is a good price for a monitor with both strobing & VRR features. The LG 24GM79-B (Amazon) is reportedly better in strobe crosstalk than 24GM77. (LG's first attempt at MOTION240 needed work).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

marcus1994

Post by marcus1994 » 08 Aug 2017, 00:10

Thank you very much for the explanation!

I'm watching videos about the ZOWIE XL2411
The colors are very bad
And i looking at the ASUS VG248QE
Which is best for LIghtboost? Best for FPS?
I'm from Brazil, and here these monitors are extremely expensive. I can not choose wrong.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2017, 01:45

Buying something easily serviceable in your country can sometimes be more important.

Is LG easily available in Brazil locally for example? From a place that will give you a refund if you don't like the monitor?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

marcus1994

Post by marcus1994 » 08 Aug 2017, 04:16

I have a brother in the United States, I will import.
These displays here in Brazil cost R$2,000-2,400 (R$->BRL->Local currency) :D
If my brother send it to me, it would cost R$750
So I would like to know which would be the best choice.

Thank you in advance!