There are no good monitors!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
auxy

There are no good monitors!

Post by auxy » 07 Aug 2017, 02:56

My best friend and I both purchased Samsung CFG70 monitors earlier in the year, and both of us went through multiple repairs and replacements before finally getting refunds. It seems like these monitors are fundamentally broken in design and they simply don't work.
Besides us, many people have reported the same problems with overbright purple pixels appearing in dark areas. (Mediafire, 3MB MP4) If you wanna read my friend's story, here's his thread about the issue on the TechReport forums.

So he's left entirely without a high-refresh blur-reducing monitor and I'm back to my trusty old VG248QE. Both of us want a new monitor, but the problem is, there aren't any on the market that match the Samsung in terms of featureset! 144Hz, 3000:1 static contrast, menu-activated strobe feature, 125% sRGB. I'd like one with 2560x1440 resolution, but he doesn't care, and I'm not married to the higher resolution.

The big thing for both of us is the high-contrast VA panel + strobe feature, and it seems like Samsung is the ONLY company offering that. There are several companies (Pixio, MSI, Philips) offering displays based on Samsung's VA panel tech but none of them have the strobe feature! I'm also concerned they would have the same issues the Samsung CFG70 does... ( ;~;)

Does anyone here know something we don't? Is there some obscure display we're missing?

lexlazootin

Re: There are no good monitors!

Post by lexlazootin » 07 Aug 2017, 09:06

High contrast displays are mostly VA panels. VA have really slow pixel response times but due to the nature of the 'scanning backlight' on the Samsung monitor it should in theory do a pretty good job of eliminating this issue. I'm not sure if any other monitors exist with this tech just yet. I would really doubt you could find a similar monitor. It's such a shame that many people had a issue with it.

You could always get a 1440p IPS 144hz

Acer Predator XB271HU
AOC Agon AG271QG
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Freesync

Asus MG279Q
Eizo Foris FS2735
AOC Agon AG271QX

auxy

Post by auxy » 07 Aug 2017, 10:32

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately... (ノー`)

Well, the Predator, AG271QG, and PG279Q are all really expensive. (The Samsung C24FG70 is only $280!) But more than that, they don't actually meet the requirements anyway. Even if we ignore the high-contrast requirement, their strobing mode comes from ULMB, and you can't use that with a Radeon, which both of us have.

I actually kind of hate IPS displays. Because of "IPS glow", the contrast of IPS displays is atrocious. Most of them claim 1000:1, but if you check reviews they very rarely meet that mark. For whatever reason I'm very sensitive to contrast in monitors (likewise motion blur); I'd rather a TN over an IPS, but neither one really satisfies me due to their various faults (TN gamma shift even during on-angle viewing is the pits!)

As far as the Freesync displays go, only the Foris has a blur reduction mode and it is no longer on sale. Eizo seems to do that for some reason; I wanted an FG2421 when it first came out, held off due to QA issues in the first production run, and then by the time I was ready (read: had the money) to give it a shot, they had stopped selling it. ( ;~;)

Thanks again for your suggestions though! It's always nice to get a genuine response from the internet instead of the disinterested indifference you find most of the time. (*'▽') I guess all I can do is hope someone from Samsung or another company reads this post and decides to make a QDLED+VA+strobe monitor that isn't total garbage.

open

Post by open » 07 Aug 2017, 12:14

EDIT: sorry man they really inflated the reported stats for this monitor at first. this thing is not worth the price and i wouldn't trust a company that reports almost double the actual contrast and brightness.

Check out the stats reported for the samsung C27HG70. It is 600 [EDIT: its 550 now] bucks so brace yourself but you aren't going to find a significant upgrade from the vg248qe (in terms of gaming) without spending at least 400.

brightness [EDIT: they first reported 600 now its reported at 350nits SIGH]
contrast ratio [EDIT:they also downgraded this to 3000:1 the hype is killing me here]
1ms mprt
FreeSync 2 support
144hz.

But its a brand new monitor. So there are many questions.

auxy

Post by auxy » 07 Aug 2017, 13:26

open wrote:Check out the stats reported for the samsung C27HG70. It is 600 [EDIT: its 550 now] bucks so brace yourself but you aren't going to find a significant upgrade from the vg248qe (in terms of gaming) without spending at least 400.
Well actually, the Samsung C24FG70 that I mentioned in the first post is a huge upgrade from the VG248QE, hehe. It's only $280. If it worked. Which, I have similar concerns about the C27HG70, obviously. FreeSync 2 will require a GPU from the Polaris/Vega families and neither of us have that.

I agree Samsung is the worst company in the consumer electronics world. They have the worst customer service I have ever heard of. I would really prefer not to buy another Samsung -anything-, if only just to avoid giving them the money.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Aug 2017, 13:58

auxy wrote:I agree Samsung is the worst company in the consumer electronics world. They have the worst customer service I have ever heard of. I would really prefer not to buy another Samsung -anything-, if only just to avoid giving them the money.
They do have the best panels though. Not sure what's up with this specific panel, but traditionally, Samsung panels were always considered free of "panel lottery" issues.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

auxy

Post by auxy » 07 Aug 2017, 14:07

RealNC wrote:They do have the best panels though. Not sure what's up with this specific panel, but traditionally, Samsung panels were always considered free of "panel lottery" issues.
I think the issue with this monitor has to do with the control hardware rather than the panel. For some people (not me, but my friend, and others) the issue goes away if you drop to 120Hz instead of 144Hz. (`・ω・´) Of course, that's not an acceptable solution -- I didn't pay for a 120Hz monitor.

Another friend thought the issue might perhaps be heat-related, as the control board apparently gets very hot. My PC sits directly behind my monitors and has a large 140mm exhaust fan blowing on the back of them, so the extremely rapid failures I saw would indeed make sense if it is heat-related.

However, my friend has no such issue in place and keeps his house at 70F (21C) at all times. He also has a large air purifier moving air across his workspace. Clearly, if the issue is heat-related, the monitor is fully capable of doing it to itself. ;つД`)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2017, 02:01

Currently, we've recorded all known strobed displays here.

Once you remove ULMB, the list does dramatically become much smaller -- the options for Radeon users are much smaller, and Samsung definitely is one of the better ones. So one option is wait for Samsung to fix the purple issue (if it's a firmware issue). Or simply switch to NVIDIA to massively expand your options of strobe backlights.

One possibility is the LG24GM79 -- but the LG24GM77 had pretty bad strobe crosstalk. Hopefully LG fixed their strobing in newer LG models... (I'd love to hear from others first, though).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

auxy

Post by auxy » 08 Aug 2017, 06:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Currently, we've recorded all known strobed displays here.
Yah, I've been working off that list, hehe. ('ω') Although also doing my own research, but it doesn't appear you've missed any.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:So one option is wait for Samsung to fix the purple issue (if it's a firmware issue).
I was hoping Samsung would release a new revision of the monitor with the purple issue fixed. There IS a new revision of the C24FG70 using the same model number; RAGEPRO and I both got one when we had ours replaced. The arm is different (worse), the quality of the plastic on the housing is different (worse), and the OSD menu options have moved around and been renamed. Also, the problems still aren't fixed. ( ;∀;)

Over on Amazon UK there's a listing for an LC24FG73 that has a completely different stand (not just a new arm) and which I have not seen any reports of issues with. It appears to be functionally identical to the LC24FG70 that I had problems with. If it is indeed a fixed version, I hope they bring it over here soon!
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Or simply switch to NVIDIA to massively expand your options of strobe backlights.
This isn't an option for RAGEPRO—he has the money for a new GPU or a new monitor, and the R9 290X that he has (which I gave him, hehe) is still perfectly serviceable. He's actually used GeForces for years, so this is his first Radeon in an age. Kinda ironic.

But for my part, I've been considering a new GPU...the GeForce GTX 1080 is really compelling. I was waiting for AMD RX Vega to come out, to see the real performance, because Radeon Vega Frontier Edition results aren't representative of the final RX Vega performance since all of the Vega features (Drawstream Binning Rasterizer, High Bandwidth Cache Controller, and a few other things like packed math for rendering) are not enabled in its driver. Of course, getting an RX Vega wouldn't resolve my problem even if it's good. ;つД`) But I'm still kind of an AMD fangirl after all these years, I guess...
Chief Blur Buster wrote:One possibility is the LG24GM79 -- but the LG24GM77 had pretty bad strobe crosstalk. Hopefully LG fixed their strobing in newer LG models... (I'd love to hear from others first, though).
I think this is the monitor RAGEPRO's been looking at. If he gets one I'll go over there and fool around with it and report back so you have some data! (*'▽')

auxy

Post by auxy » 11 Aug 2017, 08:33

auxy wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:One possibility is the LG24GM79 -- but the LG24GM77 had pretty bad strobe crosstalk. Hopefully LG fixed their strobing in newer LG models... (I'd love to hear from others first, though).
I think this is the monitor RAGEPRO's been looking at. If he gets one I'll go over there and fool around with it and report back so you have some data! (*'▽')
RAGEPRO did indeed order a LG 24GM79G-B, and it should be at his place on Monday, so I'll report back after we've gotten to play with it some. Do you want me to post here or just make a second thread?