MPV + Veriable Framerate Footage + G-Sync!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

MPV + Veriable Framerate Footage + G-Sync!

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Aug 2017, 11:35

I was recording a few examples of bugs in Half-Life with fraps and converted them to x265 with ffmpeg when i noticed that when i played them back in MPV my refresh rate would change due to the framerate in the game!

So if you want some G-Sync footage just record it with Fraps!

During the fall i change my framerate to 23
http://www.mediafire.com/file/viqaq8hz6 ... mpbug1.mkv

During the fall i change my framerate to 20
http://www.mediafire.com/file/69z8dz57y ... gebug1.mkv

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: MPV + Veriable Framerate Footage + G-Sync!

Post by RealNC » 08 Aug 2017, 12:40

That is interesting... Since when can fraps create VFR videos?

I played your videos with MPV and g-sync, and indeed it seems to switch to 30Hz.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2017, 12:01

lexlazootin wrote:I was recording a few examples of bugs in Half-Life with fraps and converted them to x265 with ffmpeg when i noticed that when i played them back in MPV my refresh rate would change due to the framerate in the game!

So if you want some G-Sync footage just record it with Fraps!

During the fall i change my framerate to 23
http://www.mediafire.com/file/viqaq8hz6 ... mpbug1.mkv

During the fall i change my framerate to 20
http://www.mediafire.com/file/69z8dz57y ... gebug1.mkv
Fantastic, successful VFR recording of VRR gameplay, if true.

H.264 and H.265 supports arbitrary frame timestamps per frame, theoretically allowing true VFR playback on VRR displays. Even playback of GSYNC footage on FreeSync monitors.

Most players barf on VFR files, or rounds off frametimes, but it appears x265+MKV preserves and successfully plays back the VRR.

I need to test these files, but are you able to try running a weird fps_max of say, 53 -- and recording again? See if playback of video results in 53fps VFR video. This would be more definitive, given within common VRR ranges of many displays.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Aug 2017, 13:16

And one would assume fps_max can be used to test custom frame rates.

Although I still think this is some kind of glitch in FRAPS... It's just weird.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2017, 13:39

RealNC wrote:And one would assume fps_max can be used to test custom frame rates.

Although I still think this is some kind of glitch in FRAPS... It's just weird.
Could be -- we need to research this.

Some screen recorders do actually record to VFR files which then needs to be converted by user or player to fixed-framerates.

However, assuming the timestamps are accurate to GPU frame delivery times, there's no reason why a specific player capable of doing a properly encoded VFR file (converted from the original file, perhaps) -- could playback the very original frametimes successfully on any VRR monitor (at least at whenever recorded framerates fall within the VRR range of monitor showing the playback).

Related Thread: VRR Video Playback
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 11 Aug 2017, 04:25

Here is one more video were i test all my FPS binds and i have cl_showfps 1 and net_graph: http://www.mediafire.com/file/r1r1z0wa1fn1azg/demo1.mkv

Both fraps counter and my monitors OSD refresh rate indicator both verify it just fine.

I use 4fps, 8fps, 20fps, 23fps and of course 100.