Removing the AG coating

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
annisman

Re: Removing the AG coating

Post by annisman » 06 Mar 2014, 02:59

Solar can you expand a bit on your method ? How do you access the screen, by removing the 4 screws on the back of the display ? A step by step would be incredibly helpful. I really want to remove the ag coat on my g sync vg 248QE.

Solar

Re: Removing the AG coating

Post by Solar » 07 Mar 2014, 22:05

If i ever have to open mine up again i'll try to do a quick step by step guide with pics.

I highly recommend that you search around for guides on "removing ag coating" first and read all of them! Even the ones for different monitors. There's a lot involved, such as you want to make sure the monitor is room temperature when you start and use room temperature water. Distilled water is probably the safest to use, but i used purified with no issues. As always, remember that you are voiding your warranty and could potentially end up ruining a very expensive monitor.

To open the display, you can refer to the G-Sync installation video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMKpJr0KTC8

You don't need to remove the 4 screws for the stand, but it does make it easier to work on if it's never been opened before.
Once you have it open you need to separate the panel assembly from the front bezel as shown in this video, but be careful not to damage the buttons at the bottom of the monitor since they are attached.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDNb2Vebfk

After that, you need to carefully separate the front half of the metal frame from the back half to expose the edges of the panel. I don't remember exactly how this was done, but i believe it can be pried apart and easily pressed back together.

The rest involves layering towels across the screen and soaking them as described in my previous post. A lot of guides recommend the blue shop towels, but any heavy duty paper towel should work well.