Will 60FPS lock game have any jitter/stutter? on gsync 165hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
arancy

Will 60FPS lock game have any jitter/stutter? on gsync 165hz

Post by arancy » 20 Aug 2017, 17:04

Hello I am very sensitive to micro stutter and jitter when playing videogames. I mainly only play fighting games which are 60FPS locked, the thing is though there are some shooters I'd like to play and I like them at high refresh rates. I owned an ASUS MG279Q monitor before and it was a 144hz monitor without Gsync. The problem was, was that every 60FPS locked games on that had extreme jitter and it was not fluid at all. Switching to 120hz helped a lot but there would be a random 1-2 second jitter at the most random times. I was wondering if I had a Gsync 165hz monitor would that stop the jitter/stutter no matter what? Also I am very sensitive to input lag and I noticed that on my 1440p MG279Q when I changed the refresh rate from 144hz to 60HZ it introduced a shit ton of input lag almost over a frame and thats bad. Im highly sensitive to lag as well.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Will 60FPS lock game have any jitter/stutter? on gsync 1

Post by RealNC » 20 Aug 2017, 17:13

In G-Sync mode, there will be no stutter/jitter that is caused by frame rate/refresh rate mismatch. Note that g-sync only fixes that kind of stutter. Other sources of stutter are not fixed, like hitching due to loading data from disk or severe FPS drops due to heavy CPU/GPU load. In these cases, you will still get stutter.

As for input lag, g-sync has virtually the same lag as vsync off. You can get a very good idea of how much input lag g-sync will give you: use 144Hz and disable vsync with your current monitor. G-Sync will have almost the same input lag as that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

arancy

Post by arancy » 20 Aug 2017, 17:14

RealNC wrote:In G-Sync mode, there will be no stutter/jitter that is caused by frame rate/refresh rate mismatch. Note that g-sync only fixes that kind of stutter. Other sources of stutter are not fixed, like hitching due to loading data from disk or severe FPS drops due to heavy CPU/GPU load. In these cases, you will still get stutter.

As for input lag, g-sync has virtually the same lag as vsync off. You can get a very good idea of how much input lag g-sync will give you: use 144Hz and disable vsync with your current monitor. G-Sync will have the same input lag as that.
So basically I can have a smooth 60FPS experience at 144hz,165hz IF and ONLY IF I have a Gsync monitor with Gsync on, am I correct?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Aug 2017, 17:18

arancy wrote:So basically I can have a smooth 60FPS experience at 144hz,165hz IF and ONLY IF I have a Gsync monitor with Gsync on, am I correct?
You can also have that with 120Hz + 1/2 vsync (configured in nvidia profile inspector), or by switching to 60Hz with normal vsync. This will also result in fluid 60FPS. However, the difference is that vsync will result in too much input lag. G-Sync will not add input lag.

(Note that there's been a bug in the nvidia driver for a while now, where you need to reboot your PC for the 1/2 vsync setting to take effect.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

arancy

Post by arancy » 20 Aug 2017, 17:19

RealNC wrote:
arancy wrote:So basically I can have a smooth 60FPS experience at 144hz,165hz IF and ONLY IF I have a Gsync monitor with Gsync on, am I correct?
You can also have that with 120Hz + 1/2 vsync (configured in nvidia profile inspector), or by switching to 60Hz with normal vsync. This will also result in fluid 60FPS. However, the difference is that vsync will result in too much input lag. G-Sync will not add input lag.
So the best option for the best smooth 60FPS gameplay with minimal input lag is 165hz+Gsync right?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Aug 2017, 17:23

arancy wrote:So the best option for the best smooth 60FPS gameplay with minimal input lag is 165hz+Gsync right?
Yeah. That's actually exactly what G-Sync was invented for. All the other methods are problematic (they still have input lag, and you can still get frame skipping if FPS is not stable.)

G-Sync (and Freesync) are the best ways (by far) to do this.

arancy

Post by arancy » 20 Aug 2017, 17:24

Thanks my dude!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Aug 2017, 17:28

Here's a demo on what g-sync will fix.

This is vsync stutter:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&de ... 00&pps=720

And this is how this will look with g-sync:

arancy

Post by arancy » 20 Aug 2017, 17:36

RealNC wrote:Here's a demo on what g-sync will fix.

This is vsync stutter:

And this is how this will look with g-sync:

Ohh!!! Thats really good, I dont really have to worry about dipping below 60 since I have a 1080 Ti I just didnt want the stutter due to 60 not being able to divide equally into 165 but it seems like Gsync fixes that too! Its really cool though how Gsync really handles itself at lower framerates. Especially around 40-45 still making it look silky smooth

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Aug 2017, 17:49

It works on every frame rate of course, not just 60. In non-60FPS-locked games for example, you can cap your FPS to any value you want (like 120), and if the game is not able to maintain that at all times (it falls to 100FPS, for example), you won't actually notice. I usually cap to somewhere between 90 and 120 on my system (depending on the game,) and the game looks perfect at that frame rate without any jitter.