[Fixed] Why is Refresh rate changing Aspect Ratio

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
casinca

Post by casinca » 26 Aug 2017, 10:49

Hello,

For some reason i ignore, with display scaling mod in nvidia (GPU scaling works properly) if i change my refresh rate from 144 to 120 (just an example, same thing for 144 to 240hz) the aspect ratio is also changing with lower res. It doesn't change anything in 1080p (native res)

Could someone explain how the refresh rate is messing with the aspect ratio

1080p no problem,

but since i'm used to play in 720p i don't get why the image in 120hz is not scaled the same as 144hz. is there some sub multiplier difference between 60 120 240 and 72 144 ?

would it be possible to have 144hz aspect ratio in 120/240hz ?
Thanks for the help

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Why is Refresh rate changing Aspect Ratio

Post by RealNC » 26 Aug 2017, 12:19

Is your question about the preview image on that screenshot? I don't think anybody understands why it looks that way.

Please clarify your question.

General information:

Display scaling only works with modes supported by the monitor. If the monitor does not support the specified mode, GPU scaling is used automatically. This gives different results, since GPU scaling obeys the aspect ratio choices you make, while display scaling does not.

To determine whether display or GPU scaling is used, you need to open your monitor's OSD and look for the current resolution information. If it says "1920x1080" even though you're running 720p, then that means GPU scaling is used.

If you want to use display scaling, then you need to add the mode (resolution + refresh) to the monitor's EDID with CRU.

But again, I do not understand your question. What do you want? GPU scaling? Display scaling? Does it work currently? Does it not? Is your question only about the nvcp preview test image?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

casinca

Post by casinca » 26 Aug 2017, 14:22

Sorry for the confusion

The nvidia preview was to give an image of the problem but to clarify, when i play in 720p in 120hz or 240hz i have black bars that appears just like the nvidia preview but not in 144hz for some reason. Maybe the monitor isn't supporting it ?

What i'd like is to play in 120hz or 240hz without the black bars, just like the nvidia preview of 1080p or 720p 144hz with aspect ratio scaling mod and scaling on display.

thanks.

Edit : if i understand what happens is that the monitor isn't supporting it, and i should use CRU to get a 120/240hz 720p display scaling and aspect ratio that looks like the nvidia preview of the 1080p/720p 144hz without black bars ?

Edit 2 : i didnt know GPU scaling was automatically used even if its display scaling ticked in nvidia when you lower the res.
I have found whats going on thanks to you. In 144hz 720p ingame, in monitor OSD, it says 1920x1080. so it uses GPU scaling. thats why there's no black bars, now it makes sense.
In 120/240hz 720p ingame, in monitor OSD, it says 1280x1024, not sure why it scales to this nor what kind of scaling is happening, but i guess its because its not compatible ?

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Aug 2017, 16:01

Two possibilities.

(1) GPU scaling (more likely)
For 1280x720 that bypasses GPU scaling, you might also want to experiment with using ToastyX CRU to create the 1280x720 modes. A third party CRU utility often bypasses GPU scaling overrides, which can muck around with this.

(2) Monitor scaling + Scaling memories in monitor (less likely, but has happened too)
If you're using monitor scaling instead of GPU scaling, the monitor might be memorizing different zoom modes for different refresh rates. Go through the monitor OSD and find a menu option called "Scaling Mode", "Zoom", "Aspect Ratio", "1:1 Pixel Mapping" or other synonymous setting & try rotating through those modes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

casinca

Post by casinca » 26 Aug 2017, 16:57

Thanks for your answers i was tweaking with CRU meanwhile,

I think i was confused with these nvidia preview and on top of that i didn't know i was using GPU scaling since the beginning when i was lowering the res.

In fact the monitor had a extension block set to 1280x1024 hence why the display was scaling to this when i was lowering res.
I changed the extension block to 1280x720 and now it is indeed 1280x720 in OSD so display scaling is working.

The only thing i'm not sure is nvidia preview because it gives me something different.

In 1280x720
when it is set to GPU scaling i get this preview (same preview as 1080p)

and set in display scaling i get this one

When i saw these preview difference i tested ingame switching between gpu or display scaling, it's the same thing for me looks 1280x720. no difference.
I do not understand why when it is set to GPU scaling nvidia gives me this preview. it should gives me the same as the 2nd picture no ?
thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Aug 2017, 00:39

I don't think anybody was ever able to decipher what the preview in the nvcp means. :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

casinca

Post by casinca » 29 Aug 2017, 08:42

hehe i see :lol: at least i got the problem solved. thanks