Best 240hz monitor for FPS

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best 240hz monitor for FPS

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Sep 2017, 11:33

Blur Busters Strobe Utility also works on DyAc monitors too.

I've updated Strobe Utility to be compatible with most BenQ/Zowie monitors (except XL2730 for the moment).
Currently, Strobe Utility is XL2540/XL2546 compatible (albiet with one bug: The Persistence slider is inverted).

That said, the BenQ/Zowie defaults are much better than XL2411Z was, so you might not feel the need to use Strobe Utility until you use creative refresh rates such as 180 Hz DyAc with Large Vertical Totals. That's where Strobe Utility significantly improves things (in conjunction with CRU).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mangemongen

Post by Mangemongen » 07 Sep 2017, 07:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:[2. Eye-track the moving UFO. Vertical lines disappear due to motion blur, but you see stars better.
I can see the vertical lines clearly even when I track the UFO. Can you not?

Anyone else care to chime in?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Sep 2017, 08:32

Mangemongen wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:[2. Eye-track the moving UFO. Vertical lines disappear due to motion blur, but you see stars better.

For the display motion blur optical illusion demo (viewing http://www.testufo.com/persistence animation), there are several causes where lines stay visible during the moving UFO:
- Test on an LCD in non-strobed mode (turn off ULMB for the test)
- PWM artifact. Try setting your display to 100% brightness.
- Human vision differences. Not everybody has the same vision abilities. (Also try covering one eye during test)
- Testing at too low Hz. Low refresh rate may be below your flicker fusion threshold
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mangemongen

Post by Mangemongen » 07 Sep 2017, 09:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Mangemongen wrote:

For the display motion blur optical illusion demo (viewing http://www.testufo.com/persistence animation), there are several causes where lines stay visible during the moving UFO:
- Test on an LCD in non-strobed mode (turn off ULMB for the test)
- PWM artifact. Try setting your display to 100% brightness.
- Human vision differences. Not everybody has the same vision abilities. (Also try covering one eye during test)
- Testing at too low Hz. Low refresh rate may be below your flicker fusion threshold
Turning off strobing did it; the lines almost disappeared. Major difference. I have a Asus VG278HE.

Great animation for seeing the differences between strobed and non-strobed!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Sep 2017, 10:10

Mangemongen wrote:Turning off strobing did it; the lines almost disappeared. Major difference. I have a Asus VG278HE.

Great animation for seeing the differences between strobed and non-strobed!
It's also a great refresh rate demo, and was used for the 480 Hz tests. Halve your refresh rate, the image becomes twice as pixellated at the same motion speed. Double your refresh rate, the image resolution doubles in this motion test. This pixellated effect stays the same resolution, no matter what the line separation is. Differences going 60Hz -> 120Hz -> 240Hz -> 480Hz were extremely clear in this specific TestUFO animation.

This TestUFO animation is simply scrolling a full-resolution image behind thin slits. It is surprising how Hertz limitations reveals themselves in this http://www.testufo.com/persistence animation.

For real-life applications, higher refresh rates aids in identifying enemies through thick brush (while running or strafing through dense jungles/forests). The rapid obscure/reveal flicker effects through bush, leaves, palm fronds, etc, all combine to produce increased resolutions at higher refresh rates, via combined persistence-of-vision effect.

Also, ultimately, in the long term, we need to get "strobeless & lagless ULMB" via ultrahigh refresh rates, but for now, strobing is a good workaround!

StillBlaze

Post by StillBlaze » 11 Sep 2017, 14:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
StillBlaze wrote:Ended up going with BenQ, Will see how the DYAC goes, sad no GSYNC.
I'd like to know how your BenQ/Zowie experience goes. I'm particularly interested in how it directly compares to the very old XL2410T.
Let me know how it goes mate :)[/quote][/quote]

So this is my impressions since Friday, 240hz is noticeably smoother while playing and general mouse movements, it's not something that will scream out at you at first but after a couple days going back to 144hz will instantly appear much less smooth. In a controlled environment testing both screens displaying the same game at the same time the 240hz shows objects much clearer during fast movements, this can't be quantified but I would say at least 30+%

The colors compared to the 2411z are very rich and vibrant with both monitors default settings apart from blacklight equalizer 20 on both (max) Never really understood people saying how bad the standard BenQ screens were until now. The expression as washed is pretty accurate, everything appears much more dull with a grey tint to it on the basic BenQ panels. The difference is so large I now see effects in Quake I barely knew were there and it might as well be an IPS compared to the 2411z. I would be interested to hear if this is comparable to the 2430s and 2730s in color ect.

DYAC is looks to be working as intended and pretty worth while feature, games like PUBG where you would only get 100-140 FPS at the best of times feel much nicer on this screen as well as BF1 with about 160-180 FPS. I will need to do controlled tests with it on and off to see the real difference but RJN video between 2540 and 2546 showed there was a clear difference despite how big or small it might of been. 2540 has a lower version like the 2730 from what I know which is still hands down much better then the old blur reduction that is horrible and dark.

http://imgur.com/a/eS8EX phone pictures suck, but if you look at the blue portal then the green glow at the top and as it runs down the walls you will see the grey dull on one monitor.

Verdict is that yes its much better then the basic BenQ 144hz but only for someone who cares about best experience and has the rig to run it. If your on a budget then the basic 2411 is still the best option. If you really care about Gsync you might aswell buy the 165hz Asus IPS with Gsync, but for FPS and best experience BenQ is still king.

Games tested for 240hz were CSGO/Overwatch/Quake Live both at 300+ fps, Quake Champions/COD Black Ops 3 at 200-240 fps. The experience was great on all.

Blurbusters strobe utility showed my 2546 as not having the firmware needed to run so I need to investigate what the cause may be? I would asume that all the 2546s have compatible firmware, this didn't change when i turned off my 2411z so maybe ill have to unplug. Or see some stuff

Cheers

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Sep 2017, 14:31

Thanks for posting your Zowie XL2546 update! It's good to hear experiences about 240Hz.
StillBlaze wrote:it might as well be an IPS compared to the 2411z.
Sounds like BenQ/Zowie has really focussed on pre-calibrating their TN panels for the best color quality -- this is good to hear!
StillBlaze wrote:Blurbusters strobe utility showed my 2546 as not having the firmware needed to run so I need to investigate what the cause may be?
Did you upgrade to Strobe Utility Version 1.5.0.0 from http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility ?

beery

Post by beery » 11 Sep 2017, 16:43

StillBlaze wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
StillBlaze wrote:Ended up going with BenQ, Will see how the DYAC goes, sad no GSYNC.
I'd like to know how your BenQ/Zowie experience goes. I'm particularly interested in how it directly compares to the very old XL2410T.
Let me know how it goes mate :)
[/quote]

So this is my impressions since Friday, 240hz is noticeably smoother while playing and general mouse movements, it's not something that will scream out at you at first but after a couple days going back to 144hz will instantly appear much less smooth. In a controlled environment testing both screens displaying the same game at the same time the 240hz shows objects much clearer during fast movements, this can't be quantified but I would say at least 30+%

The colors compared to the 2411z are very rich and vibrant with both monitors default settings apart from blacklight equalizer 20 on both (max) Never really understood people saying how bad the standard BenQ screens were until now. The expression as washed is pretty accurate, everything appears much more dull with a grey tint to it on the basic BenQ panels. The difference is so large I now see effects in Quake I barely knew were there and it might as well be an IPS compared to the 2411z. I would be interested to hear if this is comparable to the 2430s and 2730s in color ect.

DYAC is looks to be working as intended and pretty worth while feature, games like PUBG where you would only get 100-140 FPS at the best of times feel much nicer on this screen as well as BF1 with about 160-180 FPS. I will need to do controlled tests with it on and off to see the real difference but RJN video between 2540 and 2546 showed there was a clear difference despite how big or small it might of been. 2540 has a lower version like the 2730 from what I know which is still hands down much better then the old blur reduction that is horrible and dark.

http://imgur.com/a/eS8EX phone pictures suck, but if you look at the blue portal then the green glow at the top and as it runs down the walls you will see the grey dull on one monitor.

Verdict is that yes its much better then the basic BenQ 144hz but only for someone who cares about best experience and has the rig to run it. If your on a budget then the basic 2411 is still the best option. If you really care about Gsync you might aswell buy the 165hz Asus IPS with Gsync, but for FPS and best experience BenQ is still king.

Games tested for 240hz were CSGO/Overwatch/Quake Live both at 300+ fps, Quake Champions/COD Black Ops 3 at 200-240 fps. The experience was great on all.

Blurbusters strobe utility showed my 2546 as not having the firmware needed to run so I need to investigate what the cause may be? I would asume that all the 2546s have compatible firmware, this didn't change when i turned off my 2411z so maybe ill have to unplug. Or see some stuff

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks for the update , I think I will go the BenQ seeing I just play FPS , did you have to change much of the settings or just leave everything stock out of the box? I did read you changed Black equalizer was that it? I remember my BenQ 2410t was pretty bad colour out of the box.

Also say when your playing Overwatch is it best to cap the frames at 240hz in game? or leave it uncapped at 300? or put it as 237hz or is that just for GSYNC monitors?

Thanks

StillBlaze

Post by StillBlaze » 13 Sep 2017, 04:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thanks for posting your Zowie XL2546 update! It's good to hear experiences about 240Hz.
StillBlaze wrote:it might as well be an IPS compared to the 2411z.
Sounds like BenQ/Zowie has really focussed on pre-calibrating their TN panels for the best color quality -- this is good to hear!
StillBlaze wrote:Blurbusters strobe utility showed my 2546 as not having the firmware needed to run so I need to investigate what the cause may be?
Did you upgrade to Strobe Utility Version 1.5.0.0 from http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility ?
Yeah I am most likely understating how good IPS would be but in comparison to the 2411z the colors are just really refreshing and nice to have.

I managed to get Strobe Utility working, I didn't have the 2546 drivers installed properly, but after a few tests I found no real benefit even with the settings jacked all the way to clearer motion and earlier strobe phase, Essentially all it did was make the screen brighter.

Either way if I didn't have optimal settings or not it appears that the 240hz/ Dyac combo is doing its job just fine.

open

Post by open » 13 Sep 2017, 11:38

For overwatch i have come to prefer gsync 240hz with uncapped frame rate (300) and set nvidia control pannel to vsync off so that when it goes over the gsync limit it behaves as a vsync off screen. I have a 6th gen i7 locked at 3.1ghz and can actually push more than 240fps most of the time but sometimes it goes under and is much smoother with the gsync on.

This setup suits my high sensitivity twitch aim playstyle. Mainly i need low input lag and smoothness to shoot at the right time.

I have experimented with the frame rate cap and found that i liked a 212fps limit or a 300fps limit but the 300fps limit just feels better.