BenQ XL2411 Can't Run Anything Above 1080p 60hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Demithycs

BenQ XL2411 Can't Run Anything Above 1080p 60hz

Post by Demithycs » 21 Sep 2017, 06:49

[Chief Blur Buster note: This thread was moved from the Forum Help ("How do I use the Blur Busters Forums?") not designed for monitor questions, into the correct forum area]

I've tried searching high and low for a solution to this, checked multiple threads and still no luck. Whenever I try to switch the monitor to anything higher than 60hz, either the screen squeezes itself into a different resolution or blurs out like a 144p Youtube video.

Example is when I try to set the monitor to 1080p 1920x1080 (native) 120hz via the Nvidia Control Control Panel, it turns into something like this https://imgur.com/a/AA5S6 (sorry for the quality, shitty phone)

At first I thought it was a cable issue (it might still be) since the cable that came with the monitor was only DVI-D single link. I bought a DVI-D dual link and I'm still getting the same issue. I also have a Display Port but the Monitor itself doesn't have a Display Port.

Couldn't find DVI-I dual link, but I'll look for one if it's the solution. Currently looking for a Display Port Converter/Adapter to see if the Display Port works but I live in the Philippines and I'm also having trouble finding Adapters/Converters here.

GPU Drivers are up to date.

I'm also running 2 monitors if it matters. The second monitor is just a generic monitor, I was hoping to run the XL2411 on 144 or 120 while keeping the other one at 60 if possible but if I need to drop the second

monitor just to get this one to 120/144 then that's totally fine. (P.S. - I already tried removing the second monitor then applying changes to the resolution/refresh rate, same result)

GPU: MSI GTX960
Windows 8

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ XL2411 Can't Run Anything Above 1080p 60hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2017, 16:58

That is definitely still single link -- that's an artifact -- defective cable, cheap Chinese cable, or damaged card/damaged monitor.

Try either:
-- Yet another DVI cable; or
-- HDMI cable from HDMI-out of card to HDMI-in of monitor
-- DVI-to-HDMI adaptor, then HDMI cable.
Often, HDMI will act as a substitute for DVI, and work at 120Hz/144Hz instead of 60Hz when used with recent BenQ monitors. It does not always work, and is unofficial, but this is an additional option.

Best way forward is yet another DVI cable, and try not to risk cheap dual-link DVI cables that are actually incorrectly manufactured single-link DVI cables. GTX 960 should support 120/144Hz out of DVI and HDMI outputs.

Thanks,
Chief Blur Buster
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Demithycs

Post by Demithycs » 22 Sep 2017, 00:54

I'll try out the HDMI cable. I read in some forums that HDMI can't support 120/144 so I didn't consider buying one.

I'm having trouble finding decent DVI dual links here but I'll look for one as well when I pick up an HDMI.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Sep 2017, 21:35

Demithycs wrote:I'll try out the HDMI cable. I read in some forums that HDMI can't support 120/144 so I didn't consider buying one.
This is generally true.

The cables *do* have the dotclock bandwidth, and it's a relatively simple HDMI-spec-violation to support -- it doesn't always work but it often does.

However, if you connect HDMI directly between a graphics card and certain 120Hz/144Hz monitors, many successfully run at high-Hz. Just make sure that it's a recent-spec HDMI cable (preferably HDMI 1.

In this situation, HDMI 2.0 can support up to 1080p240Hz, and HDMI 1.4 can support 1080p@144Hz.

I'd suggest finding/borrowing a different DVI cable, but you should test out HDMI if you have temporary access to a HDMI cable -- to try one out.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Demithycs

Post by Demithycs » 25 Sep 2017, 03:47

Bought a High Quality HDMI cable. There's no native refresh rate higher than 60hz available when I try to change it normally. I do have CRU, tried using that and I end up with a blue screen with the monitor saying "No Cable Connected"

I can still swap out the HDMI with something. Any thoughts?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Sep 2017, 21:19

Oh! You bought one.

I did warn you it is unofficial (not guaranteed to work) -- just works on some monitors if direct HDMI from monitor to GPU (no interim boxes like stereo receivers, etc).

I'd suggest getting yet another DVI cable from a /different/ supplier.
--> I really, really suggest DVI. Third time may be the charm. Can you still exchange the HDMI cable?
--> MSI GTX 960 *should* definitely support 144Hz. How are you doublechecking the refresh rate?

flexy123

Post by flexy123 » 01 Oct 2017, 09:20

This is absolutely odd since (stating the obvious), this monitor should do 75 and beyond (120, 144 etc.).... and 75 with the HDMI.
There is something wrong with the monitor since having a shoddy DVI cable AND a shoddy HDMI cable is highly unlikely.

* What you can test (and I a can just help you up until 75hz there since I don't have a faster monitor), go to CRU but "design" but do not activate a resolution with CRU (75Hz), but use the values and enter these values into Nvidia control panel to try a custom resolution with Nvidia panel. (Also try the LCD limited values)

If this doesn't make any higher reso than, use DDU (Display Driver Uninstalller), get rid of your Nvidia drivers and reinstall them, and ALSO uninstall your monitor drivers, also wipe all CRU settings. Also reset all your OSD settings for the monitor to factory. ALSO use maybe SoftMCCS and use this to reset everything to factory.

Demithycs: I am not denying that there may be some shoddy cables out there, but I consider this relatively unlikely since he already tried two.

** He says there is not even a native Refresh >60 for him, and I don't have that monitor but use "fake" XL2411 drivers, even I have the refresh values available just by fooling my system it's a XL2411.... and I can do 75Hz (with limited LCD timings/settings from CRU) over HDMI...it doesn't make sense that his don't.