Win 8 mouse fix. [Fix 1000Hz even for window dragging]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
PvillePiper

Win 8 mouse fix. [Fix 1000Hz even for window dragging]

Post by PvillePiper » 23 Mar 2014, 09:10

I attempted to apply the 8.1 mouse fix but it says that the update is not applicable. I have 8.1 Pro and a 1000 ms polling mouse (Corsair M60 Vengeance). What does this issue cause. I didn't notice a huge issue when I upgraded to 8.1. I did both the Beta and then had to re-install the whole operating system when I up-graded to 8.1.
On a side note, I wish the G-Synch monitors would get here already! I didn't have the money to buy a monitor back when the upgrade kits were still available and now, with a new (better paying) job, I want one badly!
Windows8.1 Pro 64, Antec EA650 Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Win 8 mouse fix.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2014, 09:24

PvillePiper wrote:I attempted to apply the 8.1 mouse fix but it says that the update is not applicable. I have 8.1 Pro and a 1000 ms polling mouse (Corsair M60 Vengeance). What does this issue cause. I didn't notice a huge issue when I upgraded to 8.1. I did both the Beta and then had to re-install the whole operating system when I up-graded to 8.1.
What this means is that you already have the KB patch applied, but you still need to install the registry tweak, and that will work. So skip the KB install, but install the registry tweak anyway.
I added a note:
System Wide 1000Hz mouse fix for Windows 8.1
PvillePiper wrote:On a side note, I wish the G-Synch monitors would get here already! I didn't have the money to buy a monitor back when the upgrade kits were still available and now, with a new (better paying) job, I want one badly!
Damn, isn't that inconvenient...
Fortunately, GSYNC is going to boom by the end of the year - but if you cannot wait, you could buy a 120Hz monitor, then sell it in six months to a year, when a favourite GSYNC display comes out.

The monitor equivalent of Moore's Law is normally approximately five or more years, but we are going through an incredible rapid suddenly-accelerated evolution of "Better Than 60Hz" technologies much like the moment when HDD became SSD. Even if we sometimes have to wait six months, but that is not as bad as waiting five years (though one can be on a tight budget and can hate upgrading often). Four years ago, 120Hz desktop LCD monitors did not exist, and now we got a boom in motion fluidity improving tech such as GSYNC, LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, etc!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PvillePiper

Re: Win 8 mouse fix. [Fix 1000Hz even for window dragging]

Post by PvillePiper » 23 Mar 2014, 17:44

)sigh) I did miss your next paragraph that stated such but... I can't find the step by step that says where to put the registry entry. This is all I can find doing an internet search "So i need to install the Windows8.1-KB2908279-v2-x64, restart if prompted,
then in Step #4 on the Microsoft page it states to Create a new registry entry for the game. To do this, right-click Layers, click New, click String Value, type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box, and then press Enter.
So where it says to type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box,
we enter c:\windows\explorer.exe? "
Did I miss something else?
Windows8.1 Pro 64, Antec EA650 Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660

PvillePiper

Post by PvillePiper » 23 Mar 2014, 17:48

I think I will wait, luck at selling used computer components has been a little less than successful to say the least and I don't think that 2 120 Hz monitors would be needed especially since currently I have a VS247H-P. The wife won't understand to say the least...

PvillePiper

Post by PvillePiper » 23 Mar 2014, 18:08

BTW... Great site. Lots of very good information explained in a way that anyone should be able to understand it. Thanks again!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2014, 19:24

PvillePiper wrote:then in Step #4 on the Microsoft page it states to Create a new registry entry for the game. To do this, right-click Layers, click New, click String Value, type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box, and then press Enter.
So where it says to type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box,
we enter c:\windows\explorer.exe? "
Yep.
A nice step by step:
http://www.howtogeek.com/175722/how-to- ... ndows-8.1/
Instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Game\Engine.exe, enter C:\Windows\Explorer.exe

I will admit that the Microsoft page is a bit confusing, so I may make a full BlurBusters HOWTO, with step-by-step screenshots directly on BlurBusters to become a better HOWTO than the one on Microsoft. Thanks for the comments! :-)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!