Blue Light Utilization & Reduction

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MonarchX

Blue Light Utilization & Reduction

Post by MonarchX » 24 Mar 2014, 20:11

I was wondering if there was more info on BenQ's blue light reduction. I noticed that almost all TN panels have this purple-ish and blue-ish tint on certain dark gray levels, even after calibration. However, it doesn't seem like dithering is the cause of that. I tested a specific dark gray pattern on 3 TN monitors, VA monitor, VA TV, and iPad. All 3 TN monitors, produced by different brands and made at different times, produced purplish tint regardless of how they were calibrated, but not due to dithering... None of them were BenQ with blue light reduction though... VA displays and iPad did not produce tints, not like TN panels. I was wondering if that blue light had anything to do with the purple/blue tint and whether its use would remove that tint and/or affect a calibration.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Blue Light Utilization & Reduction

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2014, 11:26

MonarchX wrote:I was wondering if that blue light had anything to do with the purple/blue tint and whether its use would remove that tint and/or affect a calibration.
BENQ blue light reduction is done via adjusting the red/green/blue not via backlight/edgelight color changes -- so it would not affect the original LED backlight color, or backlight bleed color, or the color of complete blacks.

Tints in blacks are usually caused by the backlight color and the panel black color, and can't be adjusted. It appears to be a behavioral quirk of many (but not all) TN panels. I'm looking forward to checking out better-performing 8bit+ TN panels that reportedly perform closer to e-IPS -- such as the ROG PG278Q -- and seeing how it meets those claims.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!