Wait for G-SYNC? Buy ASUS? Buy BENQ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Wait for G-SYNC? Buy ASUS? Buy BENQ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2014, 23:50

Achilles wrote:You are probably going to be very disappointed if you buy the BenQ monitor with the intent to use it for watching movies/series as well. The BenQ XL series are strictly for gaming and it is optimized for that purpose.
This is quite true.

However, one unexpected side effect needs to be considered: The BENQ Z-Series Version 2 is surprisingly the only computer monitor able to provide motion blur elimination (CRT motion clarity) to 60fps video material -- "60Hz LightBoost" effect, due to its current unique ability to strobe at 60Hz instead of 120Hz. If eliminating motion blur in television is more important than superior color quality, it's a contender. Certainly, this doesn't apply to less-than-60fps video material (e.g. 24fps movies) unless "enhanced" by the Motionflow-like interpolation algorithms, available at http://www.svp-project.com though this fake "soap opera effect" is hated by many (quite understandable) ... In addition, after recalibrating (carefully with red/green/blue gain), most 144Hz TN panels have much better colors during 60Hz operation. It will be crappy compared to IPS, but far better than factory defaults, for those people already used to watching movies on TN monitors anyway (but wanting much less motion blur during television).

Your advice about having two monitors, is a good one, for those who can afford it.
Achilles wrote:I would advise you to get two monitors, the BenQ for gaming and an IPS or PLS panel for watching movies and general use such as internet browsing and reading.
Alternatively, the Eizo FG2421 can be considered if you're wanting to combine good color quality, with motion blur elimination. It is a 120Hz VA panel with Turbo240 strobing (better than LightBoost).
Achilles wrote:Also, have a look at the Samsung U28D590D. It is a new 4k monitor with a TN panel (this is good in this case since it makes it very affordable, i.e. not $2000, and gives it quick pixel transitioning which is very good for gaming.
For motion clarity nuts, this 4K panel does not have strobing. Although GtG is 1ms, the persistence is still 1/60sec = 16.7ms. The U28D950D has 16.7ms of persistence -- more than 10x motion blur of LightBoost (at LB=10%, clearest 1.4ms setting), and more than 20x the motion blur of BENQ Blur Reduction Version 2 (Strobe Utility at 0.5ms setting).

The 4K panel is a non-strobe 60Hz panel, so it will have the guaranteed minimum motion blur illustrated in the top row (The above blur graphics are best-case scenarios during eye-tracking framerate=refreshrate situations; GtG slowness simply makes it even blurrier). Other than CRTs, only strobed displays (LightBoost, Turbo240, ULMB, BENQ Blur Reduction) can successfully pass the TestUFO Panning Map Test with map labels fully readable without blur during 960 pixels/sec and faster.

That said, the 4K 60Hz panel is one of the best I've seen so far, motion-clarity wise. Not good enough for some motion clarity nuts like me (people wanting CRT clarity), but certainly far superior to the more expensive, slower 4K panels. Very good recommendation on a 4K panel with less motion blur than other 4K panels, but it also needs to be pointed out that 1ms GtG (pixel movement between greys) still has 16.7ms of persistence (pixel static/continuous visibility state). Persistence is not the same as GtG as demonstrated by http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking ....

Obviously it depends on priorities. Resolution, motion clarity, colors, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 02 Apr 2014, 07:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
TwentyFoe wrote:Oh and I think I've found a way to buy from ASUS.com. We have this service site that pretty much lets you shop externally and delivers the item for you (it first gets shipped to a US residential address, and from there to ISR). I'm gathering information ^_^
You could also do that for BENQ USA, if you were getting the Z-Series, too.
My bad, my bad my bad! I meant to say "BENQ.com", obviously (for the V2 XL2420Z). I don't want the ASUS.

Achilles and Chief, thanks for the info.
Funny how you mentioned the P2414H model, Achilles, because in the main post, when I said that I'd settled on a DELL monitor to buy (before discovering the better than 60HZ world) - that was it. But I don't think I'll buy 2 monitors. I picked the P2414H because of it's good quality (the low price was also a bonus). I just don't think that having 2 monitors is too convenient. I don't really feel like switching monitors every time I choose to do X (the extra cost is also a tackle, but yeah, not the only one).
Some of the monitors you guys have mentioned are no option for me. I don't want ANYTHING bigger than 24", and the Eizo is too expensive, lol

About watching TV series and movies in it, guys, let me make it clear.
I don't intend to (like you said) sit on a couch/bed, relatively far away and watch TV for hours a day.
When I say "watch TV series/movies" what I mean is that I download the episode/movie, and remain seated and watch it (maybe a few in a row if I'm in the middle of a marathon, but I haven't had a series to watch in a while now, plus I don't really have the time for it anyway).
Other than that, the other purpose would be typical internet (and Photoshop/Illustrator here and there, for light edits nowadays, but not something fancy).

I'll read a couple more times what you guys have said, but don't you think that after a proper calibration (with this forums help, probably) I will be able to enjoy XL2420Z in both worlds?

p.s
Is V2 firmware available for the 11Z @ BENQ.com? I couldn't find a link there that suggests so.
In case it is - which features does the 11Z lack (compared to the 20Z)? Other than a display port and the switch usb thingie?

Thanks!
Last edited by TwentyFoe on 02 Apr 2014, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

DICKTracy

Post by DICKTracy » 02 Apr 2014, 12:05

TwentyFoe wrote: p.s
Is V2 firmware available for the 11Z @ BENQ.com? I couldn't find a link there that suggests so.
In case it is - which features does the 11Z lack (compared to the 20Z)? Other than a display port and the switch usb thingie?
Mainly extra inputs and the look of it, the screen will perform identically (or at least it should).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2014, 12:43

Yes, and also the S-Switch pad (the external monitor adjustment pad that makes it easier to switch profiles). That can be worth the premium for some users for easier/quicker switching of picture settings.

That said, I know people are deciding between the ASUS VG248QE and BENQ XL2411T. Now, with the XL2411Z now becoming available in USA for only $299, I'm working hard to confirm with BENQ that they are Version 2 units. A better-than-LightBoost monitor for less than $300 is really good!

I should have information by the end of day today, or tomorrow latest. Keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 02 Apr 2014, 19:19

Thanks Chief!

Anything extras to say about this:
I wrote:About watching TV series and movies in it, guys, let me make it clear.
I don't intend to (like you said) sit on a couch/bed, relatively far away and watch TV for hours a day.
When I say "watch TV series/movies" what I mean is that I download the episode/movie, and remain seated and watch it (maybe a few in a row if I'm in the middle of a marathon, but I haven't had a series to watch in a while now, plus I don't really have the time for it anyway).
Other than that, the other purpose would be typical internet (and Photoshop/Illustrator here and there, for light edits nowadays, but not something fancy).

I'll read a couple more times what you guys have said, but don't you think that after a proper calibration (with this forums help, probably) I will be able to enjoy XL2420Z in both worlds?
that you haven't already?
I obviously don't expect an IPS quality-color, but I would still hope for a tolerable one (after proper calibration)

Thanks!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 03 Apr 2014, 16:13

bump

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Apr 2014, 16:25

There are a lot of people who are pleased/satisfied with color after calibration.
That said, there are a lot of poeple who are never satisfied with TN panels, even after calibration.
It is a very human-dependant factor -- so it is a personal decision/preference factor. Each panel technology have their unique pros/cons.

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 03 Apr 2014, 16:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There are a lot of people who are pleased/satisfied with color after calibration.
That said, there are a lot of poeple who are never satisfied with TN panels, even after calibration.
It is a very human-dependant factor -- so it is a personal decision/preference factor. Each panel technology have their unique pros/cons.
Ah well, I see!
Guess I'll have to find out on my own.
Thanks!

Any news regarding the [possible] V2 on the 11Z?

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 04 Apr 2014, 10:03

BENQ.com price for the XL2411Z jumped to 319$ (used to be 299$ like you already know)
Maybe that is a hint regarding the V2 firmware?

Still waiting on you to bring us up to speed ^^

EDIT:
Well I see that it is indeed V2 (according to a post of yours elsewhere, I don't know why you neglected me) :(
now I just have to decide whether to buy this or the 20Z

RostokMcSpoons

Post by RostokMcSpoons » 09 Apr 2014, 11:11

I've just recently bought a Benq XL2720Z so a few observations - all my own opinion of course:

1) Don't worry, 27" isn't too big. I actually played Bf4 for a short time on a 32" LCD TV, and got on fine... it convinced me to go with the 27" Benq. You have plenty of width of vision to take in the whole screen, even when sitting close to it - you'll easily get used to it, however overwhelming it seems at first. And of course a bigger screen is an advantage when watching it as a TV, when presumably you might be further away from the screen? (Even if you're just leaning back in a chair rather than leaning forward over the keyboard)

2) I think you're going to need 120hz / 144hz more than Gsync by the sound of it. You're a hard-core CS'er? If you have a half decent PC you'll be max'ing out the frame-rate. I play DOD:S occasionally and it's glorious at 120fps + 120hz :)

3) Lightboost / Benq Blur Reduction does darken the screen quite a bit, you'd probably want to toggle it off when watching TV... Benq's S-Switch is a handy beast for doing that. I thought the screen was too dark to start with, but I've gotten used to it now, partly because...

4) Benq's Black eQualizer works really well - rushing into a dark area in a map is much easier when the screen is dynamically boosting gamma for you :) It's almost cheating ;)

5) Don't fret tooooo much about the whole V1 versus V2 firmware thing if you're thinking of the Benq. In the middle of a match the blur reduction is great, but the cross-talk ghosting stuff isn't apparent. It's only when you're using the testufo site, or watching highly detailed, good contrast object tracks relatively slowly across the screen that you notice - if you're looking for it.
(Caveat: I may be less sensitive to such things than other people, I'm more interested in my K/D ratio than outright picture quality, and playing at high framerates has certainly helped that)
I'm sure I'll get Benq to upgrade mine eventually (I live quite near the UK service center), but it's not the burning issue I thought it might be, when reading the forum threads and reviews.

I'm playing BF4 mostly at the moment. I've upgraded my PC (and dropped the in-game settings a tad) to keep my frame-rate as high as possible... and I am loving it - no buyer's remorse here :)