Some kind of tearing/blur problem?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Onikage

Some kind of tearing/blur problem?

Post by Onikage » 22 Dec 2013, 19:22

Hy everybody this is my first post i hope im not bothering anyone i would just want to ask for a help because it seemed to me like a good place to get an answer :)
I have a benq gw2255 monitor and i been having some kind of blur problem or i dont know honestly how could i describe this
i never faced with this on my old monitor so basycaly when any kind of motion hapens i can see some kind o blur efect it also looks similiar to ghosting but i dont think its that here is a video so you can see what exactly im talking about

phpBB [video]

please watch it in fullscreen in highest quality.

So anybody have idea what is causing this as you can se as soon as i start moving anything text becomes blury its very noticable on dark backgrounds as you could see on rog gpu z though i can prety much see it everywhere if im paying attention same thing happens in games.I tryed uninstaling gpu drivers,removing them,instaling monitor drivers nothing,then i took it to my friend house still hapens on his pc if anybody could help i would apreciate that.Thanks in advane

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Some kind of tearing/blur problem?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2013, 22:27

Onikage wrote:Hy everybody this is my first post i hope im not bothering anyone i would just want to ask for a help because it seemed to me like a good place to get an answer :)
Questions are welcome!! No LCD question is too silly to ask about on Blur Busters. People around here know LCD panels well, with an objective mind, and are happy to teach!
Onikage wrote:I have a benq gw2255 monitor and i been having some kind of blur problem or i dont know honestly how could i describe this i never faced with this on my old monitor so basycaly when any kind of motion hapens i can see some kind o blur efect it also looks similiar to ghosting but i dont think its that here is a video so you can see what exactly im talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHf829QcPAc
Aha, that's a quirk of many (but not all) LCD monitors. That's not tearing, but a variant of ghosting. When you get sudden shimmering behaviours like that (intensity changes) of fine patterns during scrolling like that, that's usually caused by the slowness of LCD response, especially when many transitions are asymmetric (e.g. slower transitions between grays versus faster transitions to bright colors). Faster responding LCD's have less of this ghosting behavior -- ones that transitions fast at all grey-to-grey levels, such as recent TN panels.

A good ghosting test is http://www.testufo.com/ghosting -- and a good page explaining the LCD behaviours is LCD Motion Artifacts 101 and its companion article, LCD Overdrive Artifacts.

On many LCD panels, there will often be a ghosting trail behind this UFO

Try adjusting the BENQ AMA settings (a variant of Response Time Acceleration) while viewing the TestUFO ghosting pattern full screen. This will help to an extent, but will not likely solve the problem completely.

All the different types of LCD technologies (TN, VA, IPS) all have their individual pros and cons. The BENQ GW2255 monitor you have is a VA panel, which is known to behave exactly the way you've described (very slow transition to dark colors, fast transition to bright colors). If this is an attribute you really dislike (far more than color quality), then you should be aware that the newer 120Hz TN panels are far less prone to this. You do trade off the great contrast ratios of VA for less contract ratio of TN, and you do less viewing angle of TN (e.g. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php is more problematic on TN panels). It's a trade off.

Also, a very minor factor, but worth mentioning (just in case) -- Panels (especially VA) also tend to ghost a lot less when they're warmed up. LCD response speed is temperature sensitive (ever forgot a cellphone in a car in the middle of the winter? Then you already know what I mean.) and VA panels are especially more sensitive. So they'll ghost a little more when you first turn them on after a cold night, rather than if the monitor has been running all day long.

What model was your old monitor? If it was a TN panel, then you are already familiar with one of TN's advantage: faster response and less ghosting. Some of us cannot stand TN viewing angle limits so VA/IPS panels are widely recommended, but ghosting and motion blur actually bothers some people like me more.

Unfortunately, other than attempting to adjust the overdrive settings, and warming up the monitor, there is no other way to further reduce the attribute you are seeing, short of buying a new monitor. If it's minor, don't worry about it; it's normal for the monitor. If it really bothers you, and you don't mind trading off color/viewing angle to fix this, I highly recommend replacing it with one of the better monitors from the Official 120Hz Monitor List. Those are generally panels that ghost a lot less than the average LCD. Just make sure to decide what attributes your eyes prefer (better color? less ghosting? etc.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Onikage

Post by Onikage » 23 Dec 2013, 07:02

Thanks mate that was enlightening ROFL i think i wont keep this monitor it dosnt bother me that much when im in windows or browsing net but it is very annoying in games yesterday i was playing crysis 1 first mision at night and i could clearly see the same thing on textures gets quiete annoying after some time.I dont have enoug cash for 120 hz monitor they are expensive here in my country(Croatia) so what do you think about getting an IPS panel i have my eyes on this one

http://www.edigital.hr/Monitor/LG_22EA6 ... 34264.html

Price is ok though do you think there would be less ghosting on this one?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2013, 13:17

Onikage wrote:Price is ok though do you think there would be less ghosting on this one?
Very probably far less ghosting. 5ms IPS panels are usually good for gaming, if their input lag is low, and you're not too concerned about motion blur. The Eizo FS2333 is known to be a pretty good panel in this department.

If your previous monitor was a CRT, and you wanted the least amount of motion blur, then you want one of the strobe-backlight models (see 60Hz versus 120Hz versus LightBoost). They are the only desktop monitor models available today (as of 2013) to approach the fast-motion clarity of a CRT.

If that is not important, or you are low budget, then a 5ms 60Hz IPS is generally a good direction to go in, as this is inexpensive.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!