PLP Configuration and Concerns

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TheFastCat

PLP Configuration and Concerns

Post by TheFastCat » 09 Apr 2014, 23:24

Hello - planning a new build and I want it to feature three monitors in PLP.

- Different resolutions

[1440 x 900] ???
2560x1440 Asus Rog when it is released 120hz
[1440 x 900] ???

I chose 1440x900 because I have a limited size desk and I think it would fit a document page well when in portrait mode.

I want to use the middle monitor for games but all three for enterprise development/work. Until the rog is released I will just use the other two as duals. I was planning on having a cheap geforce card to power the portrait monitors and then a 780 Ti dedicated for the Rog.

1.) Any red flags in mixing 60 hz work monitors alongside a 120hz for normal work? Will my eyes be able to tell the difference in a word document for instance?
2.) Will it be hard to calibrate these different brands/models to a uniform color/contrast/brightness ratio? (or is it easier than I think).
3.) What portrait monitors should I use for the flanking? I've spend at least 8 hours pouring over options and at this point I'm exhausted and confused on what would be best :[
4.) Will my Nvidia drivers be able to handle PLP???

Great site - the creator's passion and interest is inspiring.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: PLP Configuration and Concerns

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Apr 2014, 08:36

TheFastCat wrote:1.) Any red flags in mixing 60 hz work monitors alongside a 120hz for normal work? Will my eyes be able to tell the difference in a word document for instance?
No, but some things may glitch in framerates. Web browsing will often glitch in framerates. e.g. HTML websites may only run at 60fps (e.g. TestUFO www.testufo.com) instead of 120fps. This also includes windowed games. Some people have few problems, while others get a lot of headaches.
TheFastCat wrote:2.) Will it be hard to calibrate these different brands/models to a uniform color/contrast/brightness ratio? (or is it easier than I think).
It's hard to say; this will be your hardest challenge.
TheFastCat wrote:3.) What portrait monitors should I use for the flanking? I've spend at least 8 hours pouring over options and at this point I'm exhausted and confused on what would be best :[
1440x900 monitors that can go into portrait can be very hard to find, so you may need to find ones with VESA mounting and build your own mount. I haven't researched sub-1080p monitors lately, so I'm not sure which models will be best.
TheFastCat wrote:4.) Will my Nvidia drivers be able to handle PLP???
Yes.

Great site - the creator's passion and interest is inspiring.[/quote]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!