120hz and downsampling

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Scottzorus

120hz and downsampling

Post by Scottzorus » 13 Apr 2014, 12:13

Hello, really not sure which monitor to get, but I do have some questions. I'm ready to upgrade and have been looking at a few and been reading about the pro's and con's of certain models, but I'm still unsure. I've been using a Samsung Syncmaster 220wm for years, 60hz and when I try to downsample it doesn't always like that. I read the article: http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/12 ... -monitors/ and checked some of those out too.

I thought I was going to go with the QNIX QX2710 at one point and recently I've been thinking about the Eizo FG2421. A few things I've been thinking about are:
- If I downsample the Eizo to 1440p or 4k will it still have 120/240 hz or will it be effected? (Similar question with the ASUS VG248QE, is that able to be downsampled and still use lightboost?)
- With the QNIX, if I want to revert to 1080p for some reason, am I able to do that without any effects other than a resolution change? Can it also be downsampled to 4k? Is lightboost effected?

I think better colors are most important to me at the moment. Not competitive gaming, but I'll play a variety of genre's.
I guess I'm most concerned about being able to downsample if the display is 1080p and still get the 120hz/240hz effects (assuming the graphics card will handle it).

I'll gladly take any insight/recommendations on other monitors too. I'd like to upgrade and thank you for any help! :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 120hz and downsampling

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2014, 04:13

Scottzorus wrote:Hello, really not sure which monitor to get, but I do have some questions.
First, welcome to Blur Busters Forums!

Downsampling in the most common way (the timings), you will usually not be able to use the maximum refresh rate. Even if you could, it would be challenging to run at a full 120 frames per second needed to take advantage of the maximum motion fluidity. Most gamers who run 120Hz, aim to adjust their games in order order to increase the framerate necessary to get good motion fluidity. You do not get the motion fluidity benefits of 120Hz if you're not running at framerates at only 60fps or less, for example. You want to run at frame rates that are more approximately in the neighborhood of your monitor's refresh rate.
Scottzorus wrote:I thought I was going to go with the QNIX QX2710 at one point and recently I've been thinking about the Eizo FG2421. A few things I've been thinking about are:
- If I downsample the Eizo to 1440p or 4k will it still have 120/240 hz or will it be effected? (Similar question with the ASUS VG248QE, is that able to be downsampled and still use lightboost?)
- With the QNIX, if I want to revert to 1080p for some reason, am I able to do that without any effects other than a resolution change? Can it also be downsampled to 4k? Is lightboost effected?
Some of the monitors can downsample, but not all of them.
However, the goals of downsampling and 120Hz is occasionally contradictory, because of the need for even higher framerates. For example, sometimes you want to increase motion detail (less motion blur == more detailed graphics during motion) by decreasing game detail settings (e.g. lowering AA settings, avoiding downsampling, etc).

You can display 1080p on the QNIX QX2710, but it will really look the best at its native resoultion of 2560x1440.
Scottzorus wrote:I think better colors are most important to me at the moment. Not competitive gaming, but I'll play a variety of genre's. I guess I'm most concerned about being able to downsample if the display is 1080p and still get the 120hz/240hz effects (assuming the graphics card will handle it).
I know at least some people have been able to downsample, e.g. patching dotclock on drivers and downsampling 2560x1440 down to 1920x1080. The practice doesn't seem to be very common around here, though. (That said if anyone is reading this and can provide insight; we'd love to hear from you!)
Scottzorus wrote:I'll gladly take any insight/recommendations on other monitors too. I'd like to upgrade and thank you for any help! :D
You're welcome!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!