BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [and firmware bug]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 09:33

revnu wrote:Did I understood this right: if I completely turn off MBR non off these bugs should affect the Monitor and it will perform well for normal Desktop-usage?
The described issue (strong double image effect in bottom half of scren) isn't affecting anything when Motion Blur Reduction (MBR) is turned off. The issue is only visible when MBR is turned on.
revnu wrote:Im asking this, because for normal usage I want to use the flicker free technology, non-pwm Backlight. And if I play BF3 I activate your tool to eliminate blurring ?
Essentially, yes. However, you still turn on MBR via the monitor, and use the Blur Busters Strobe Utility to adjust the quality of MBR to your preference.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Juin

Post by Juin » 15 Mar 2014, 10:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:What BENQ has not changed is the default strobe crosstalk setting, they have it calibrated to have slightly less input lag (e.g. 1-2ms less) in exchange for awful ghosting at the bottom half of the screen. But with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, you can make it much better overall quality than LightBoost.
So you're saying that monitors with the "bug" have 1-2ms less Input Lag? As a competitive Gamer i feel like thats alot do you think from a competitve aspect it might be better to play with the "bug"?

Mouzuone

Post by Mouzuone » 15 Mar 2014, 10:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It is a matter of perspective. Some people (such as myself) has viewed it as a bug, while others view it as normal. But either way, the "fix" is here -- it's the V2 firmware -- and I'm happy there's a solultion now, and people can now install V2 firmwares on their monitors if they wish (using an MSTAR ISP upgrade).

Either way: What's done is done. Blur Busters Strobe Utility turns the strobe crosstalk from "worse than LightBoost" into "competitive with LightBoost", while still having better colors than LightBoost and having a massively wider persistence adjustment than LightBoost. The great thing is, with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, is that persistence is fully adjustable all the way from clearer than "LightBoost 10%" all the way to much brighter than "LightBoost 100%". This is good for fans of the adjustable-persistence feature.
Is it really a matter of perspective? They went for the good input stats and accepted the strobe crosstalk in the middle of the screen for it, which is where it matters most, in hope nobody would actually complain. I sold my prior xl2411t lightboost monitor with nearly 40% loss in value and expected something competetive with lightboost plus better colors and features like low blue light/black eQualizer right from the beginning. Now, we have a solution. But it is required to either send it in or program it on your own. This is a $500 monitor, not some arduino project.
I don't blame you, infact, like many others, I really appreciate all the work you put in. Nothing would have changed otherwise and there is no real alternative to this monitor at the moment. Still, you might see my point.

kuschluk

Post by kuschluk » 15 Mar 2014, 11:30

Be carefull with the CD in the package of ur MSTAR PROGRAMMER from Cart100.com /Sichuan Seller

Its a Self burned CD looking like this:
http://img04.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded ... 10x310.jpg

It contains the driver, an chinese user manual and a special Present:

an older Botnet VIRUS called "Nitol"

http://www.gamestar.de/software/news/30 ... tnetz.html

=> it wasn't a really big problem => You can take the files with an LIVE LINUX and clean them.

The delivery time was 15 days to germany price around 50 € / 61$ including Shipping.

first test (without monitor) the device works.

PS: I don't think it was an attack by the Seller ... I think he only hasn't a clean PC

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 11:39

kuschluk wrote:Be carefull with the CD in the package of ur MSTAR PROGRAMMER from Cart100.com /Sichuan Seller
Do not use the CD.
(Moral of the story: do not trust no-name CD's shipped from China via no-name vendors.)

There will be separate upgrader software posted, that's compatible with the MSTAR ISP shipped from Cart100.

Keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 11:43

Mouzuone wrote:Is it really a matter of perspective? They went for the good input stats and accepted the strobe crosstalk in the middle of the screen for it, which is where it matters most
Well... They did say they tested with lots of competitive gamers (the professional paid/sponsored type), and apparently, it was what they preferred (far worse quality but slightly less lag). This definitely isn't Blur Busters' and most LightBoost users' preference (that 1-2ms less lag isn't worth the quality loss for us), and I pulled my hair out over this (sigh), ever since I received the XL2720Z. Feature to some people, but is a bug to people like me.

But thankfully, at the end of day, it's fixable/adjustable to user preference, thanks to the Utility (released March 16th 2014). Less lag (worse than LightBoost clarity) or better image quality (better than LightBoost clarity), or somewhere in between. Win for end users.

Juin

Post by Juin » 15 Mar 2014, 11:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Mouzuone wrote:Is it really a matter of perspective? They went for the good input stats and accepted the strobe crosstalk in the middle of the screen for it, which is where it matters most
Well... They did say they tested with lots of competitive gamers (the professional paid/sponsored type), and apparently, it was what they preferred (far worse quality but slightly less lag). This definitely isn't Blur Busters' and most LightBoost users' preference (that 1-2ms less lag isn't worth the quality loss for us), and I pulled my hair out over this (sigh), ever since I received the XL2720Z. Feature to some people, but is a bug to people like me.

But thankfully, at the end of day, it's fixable/adjustable to user preference, thanks to the Utility (released March 16th 2014). Less lag (worse than LightBoost clarity) or better image quality (better than LightBoost clarity), or somewhere in between. Win for end users.
If i use the Utility to "fix" the crosstalk can i then still return to the previous state to get the less input lag if i don't find it too bad?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 12:42

Juin wrote:If i use the Utility to "fix" the crosstalk can i then still return to the previous state to get the less input lag if i don't find it too bad?
Yep. You just turn off the "Override" checkbox -- and viola -- it goes back to BENQ defaults.

At the end of the day, this is just a fight between 9ms average display lag (screen center) versus 10-11ms average display lag (screen center) but with much better and proper low-persistence behavior. It behaves visually more as a proper impulse driven monitor (far closer to CRT-like behavior in terms of motion clarity) with minimal noticeable side effects.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 15 Mar 2014, 13:41

I've just ordered a MSTAR unit from cart100. Does it include everything needed, hardware wise?
In theory, I'll receive it in 8-12 days once it's sent (EMS).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

LogicElite

Post by LogicElite » 15 Mar 2014, 14:00

After unpacked the Mstar Unit burner (bought from AliExpress.. the product and vendor is no more available), it's smaller than I thought :) but no cd were present with it. I plugged it into the pc and Windows recognized it as a Mstar USB Debug Tool. Is that ok or I need to get the driver like one of the member received on a previous post?

Picture:

Thanks and chief keep us posted on the procedure for upgrading the monitor :)
Last edited by LogicElite on 15 Mar 2014, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.