The Official *Samsung Odyssey G7* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Do you experience flicker on this monitor?

No
60%
Yes, not enough to impact user experience
10%
Yes, enough to impact user experience
30%

Total votes: 10

communistsquared

The Official *Samsung Odyssey G7* Owners Thread

Post by communistsquared » 20 Sep 2020, 18:28

Samsung Odyssey G7 - LC27G75T/LC32G75T

Specifications:
  • Resolution: 2560x1440 (16:9)
  • Refresh Rate: 240Hz
  • Size: 27" and 32"
  • Panel: VA (QLED)
  • Curved: Yes, 1000R
  • VRR: G-SYNC Compatible, FreeSync, HDMI-VRR
Reviews:

Summary:

The Samsung Odyssey G7 is the best overall 16:9 1440p/240Hz gaming monitor on the market (as of Sep 2020). As expected from a VA panel, there is strong contrast ratio and black depth. But unlike previous generations of high refresh VA panels (looking at you, C27RG50), there is no black-smearing and minimal overshoot, resulting in good motion clarity. It is also surprising to see great response times, beating even some high-end TN panels. This monitor is suitable for competitive gaming due to solid input lag performance.

There is no doubt that the Odyssey G7 is an interesting monitor. I invite other owners to share their experiences, settings, and tips.

-----------
CfYz wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 02:02
The flickering issue was fixed in latest firmware 1009.3. There is a new OSD menu item under System - VRR Control, after enabling it flickering is gone. And never come back:)
Last edited by communistsquared on 20 Nov 2020, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

quovadis123

Re: The Official *Samsung Odyssey G7* Owners Thread

Post by quovadis123 » 14 Nov 2020, 15:21

I just tried this monitor. I have also tried most gaming monitors in the 27"-32" range. I also own two 32" professional monitors, with perfect colors, contrast, and near perfect blacks. They are AMVA panels.
This monitor should be used for gaming and nothing else. Certainly not for color critical work, because it is not color accurate. It has great colors, but they are nothing close to sRGB.
The monitor did come with dead pixels. It's very responsive in games, and has a nice contrast compared to most other 32" gaming monitors I have tried. It is a little better than the Dell 32" which I also tried.
I noticed light flickering when Gsync was turned on. Not all the time, just intermittently. The thing that provoked the most angst was the stand. It's so wobbly. I do not understand. Samsung has been making monitors for years now. How could they introduce such a wobbly stand? Do they enjoy returns? Someone please explain this to me.
The curve is too extreme. Especially when browsing and doing work. I do like a curve, but a lesser one.

CfYz

Post by CfYz » 18 Nov 2020, 02:02

The flickering issue was fixed in latest firmware 1009.3. There is a new OSD menu item under System - VRR Control, after enabling it flickering is gone. And never come back:)
Last edited by CfYz on 09 Aug 2021, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
there is hope....

communistsquared

Post by communistsquared » 20 Nov 2020, 22:42

Now that the flickering issue was resolved, this monitor is very easy to recommend! The only thing that might put people off is the curve. Personally I hated it the first week, adjusted by the second, and a few months in I actually prefer it a lot. It really doesn't affect my workflow (photo/video editing, coding) and it's great for gaming.

nanashi31

Post by nanashi31 » 12 Dec 2020, 10:43

When i enable VRR , i notice the same problem that CHG series had, wich is feint horizontal lines when faded /pale colors are displayed. The closer to light grey, the worse it gets. It was the reason i returned 3 CHG displays and the problem seems to be fixed on these series as long as i do not enable VRR. HDR is also fine, no abnormal behavior or flicker with the latest firmware update.

Doriantny

Post by Doriantny » 02 Feb 2021, 12:46

Hi there. So have you noticed, on 240hz this monitor makes a huge amount of smearing .... trailing... and green red halo or auras, but you can get less auras if you put 4:4:2 but less color... . On 144 it's much better on the smearing but you lose the smoothness... I tried on HDMI and DP, and it's the same, less smearing ... but on 240... i tried everything... no chance to ged rid of it... I Don't understand nobody sees this? or everybody is paied to shut up... On every overdrive is the same...it's only my panel... or it's on all...

CfYz

Post by CfYz » 09 Aug 2021, 01:28

There is new firmware 1011.0 released.
Doriantny wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 12:46
Hi there. So have you noticed, on 240hz this monitor makes a huge amount of smearing .... trailing... and green red halo or auras
I haven't notice this, because I use 144 on desktop and 240 only in game, mostly shooters but even there I don't see any smearing. So it's just few people here with this monitor, you should search for more popular place with more owners.
there is hope....