Looking for: best 27" 240hz+ counter-strike monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ax111

Re: Looking for: best 27" 240hz+ counter-strike monitor

Post by ax111 » 18 Jan 2021, 18:05

StuckIn2003 wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 17:13
My Acer Nitro XV272U Xb https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/m ... .HX2AA.X03 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV272U-Xbmi ... B08M6B6T1H came in today but I only had about 30 mins to get an initial impression.

To re-baseline, I'm coming from a 165hz 27" Omen 27i. I have very high expectations and first impressions I was thoroughly impressed. I was worried I wouldnt notice a big improvement from 165hz but I definitely do!!

The good:
-I'll eventually get this on an arm but the stand was very easy to put together and attach the monitor
-It came with a calibration report print out. I did notice how nice the colors looked and was impressed. This isn't something that usually catches my eye, I'm more about feel and performance.
-Immediately on loading CS, I could notice a much smoother experience. Even just moving around felt smoother
-In game shooting felt so snappy and butter smooth. I put overdrive to extreme along with the motion handling setting. I did not get any noticeable overshoot like on the omen 27i. Textures on maps did not look like a psychedelic experience. It was such a smooth and stable experience in a hectic deathmatch server. I loaded a few different maps to be sure of the textures and all were perfect thus far
-The smoothness even applied to scrolling on web pages, it was so much smoother
-My first time using a black equalizer type setting and it does help out in some spots like d2 CT spawn, nuke vents, and nuke window by ladder
-OSD is easy to use and the Acer display widget can give you some of the controls in an app
-Overclock to 270hz as easy as changing overclock to yes in the OSD!

The bad:
-Unfortunately, this is a worrisome one. Upon setting the black boost to 10, a few minutes later I noticed a screen door effect like you see on some OLED panels. When I logged in to steam I noticed the login screen was burned in because it was static as I configured the monitor. I toggled the black boost back down and then back up and both disappeared. Thanks for that guidance given on this website.

I'll need to monitor that, but overall the monitor definitely performs and agree with ax111 that it feels amazing. I was worried it wouldn't be much of an upgrade but it is on another level of performance. I'll post further details in a day or two. Let me know if I can help answer any questions you may have!
Awesome, glad to hear that your first impressions are really positive. Your Pros/Cons are right on par with mine. I saw you posted in the other thread, so perhaps you saw it, but Chief goes into what could be causing the image retention issue and suggests it could be fixed by a firmware update, but we will see. Hopefully the high black boost level is the only cause.

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 20 Jan 2021, 19:45

ax111 wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 18:05
StuckIn2003 wrote:
My Acer Nitro XV272U Xb https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/m ... .HX2AA.X03 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV272U-Xbmi ... B08M6B6T1H came in today but I only had about 30 mins to get an initial impression.

To re-baseline, I'm coming from a 165hz 27" Omen 27i. I have very high expectations and first impressions I was thoroughly impressed. I was worried I wouldnt notice a big improvement from 165hz but I definitely do!!

The good:
-I'll eventually get this on an arm but the stand was very easy to put together and attach the monitor
-It came with a calibration report print out. I did notice how nice the colors looked and was impressed. This isn't something that usually catches my eye, I'm more about feel and performance.
-Immediately on loading CS, I could notice a much smoother experience. Even just moving around felt smoother
-In game shooting felt so snappy and butter smooth. I put overdrive to extreme along with the motion handling setting. I did not get any noticeable overshoot like on the omen 27i. Textures on maps did not look like a psychedelic experience. It was such a smooth and stable experience in a hectic deathmatch server. I loaded a few different maps to be sure of the textures and all were perfect thus far
-My first time using a black equalizer type setting and it does help out in some spots like d2 CT spawn, nuke vents, and nuke window by ladder
-OSD is easy to use and the Acer display widget can give you some of the controls in an app

The bad:
-Unfortunately, this is a worrisome one. Upon setting the black boost to 10, a few minutes later I noticed a screen door effect like you see on some OLED panels. When I logged in to steam I noticed the login screen was burned in because it was static as I configured the monitor. I toggled the black boost back down and then back up and both disappeared. Thanks for that guidance given on this website.

I'll need to monitor that, but overall the monitor definitely performs and agree with ax111 that it feels amazing. I was worried it wouldn't be much of an upgrade but it is on another level of performance. I'll post further details in a day or two. Let me know if I can help answer any questions you may have!
Awesome, glad to hear that your first impressions are really positive. Your Pros/Cons are right on par with mine. I saw you posted in the other thread, so perhaps you saw it, but Chief goes into what could be causing the image retention issue and suggests it could be fixed by a firmware update, but we will see. Hopefully the high black boost level is the only cause.
I've left the blacklight boost to max the past 2 days and have not seen the issue. I forgot and left it at this setting while working from home and have seen 0 issue. Based upon what I've seen with my 27i and this, I think the monitors need a warmup period for these 'extreme' settings.

The monitor is so smooth, gaming on it is a delight. I am a tough customer and am very pleased.

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 23 Jan 2021, 00:56

I couldn't be happier. the thing performs so well! Still 0 issue with any retention since the monitor has 'warmed up'.

The bad part is when 360hz IPS 1440p comes out I will want it :)

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 02 Feb 2021, 18:45

Ived noticed 2 things when it comes to this monitor I havent seen elsewhere:

1- VRB setting does not hold when powering off then on (could be my ignorance behind the tech)
2- VRB is greyed out when using multiple monitors, even if the other monitor is using the integrated GPU and ACER the nVidia

Templardude

Post by Templardude » 10 Feb 2021, 16:14

While I haven't played CS:GO in a couple of years. I have played FPS since the 90s and come from the spoiled CRT generation. ;) When I switched from CRT to LCD because of LAN parties around 2005ish it was extremely painful seeing the motion blur and ghosting. LCD have come a long way but I still look for perfection.

I currently have a Dell S2716DG but my main is a Asus ROG Swift PG279Q. Is there anything noticeably better than the PG279Q at 1440P?

I was hoping the Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2721D would be my next monitor. Any thoughts on it? Its very pricey but I'm willing to pay if it gets me closer to a CRT.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 16 Mar 2021, 09:11

StuckIn2003 wrote:

The good:

The bad:

Hi, this panel has appeared in my city and I started to think about it) I have VG279QM and wanna try 2k 240hz, Could you tell do you use 400 dpi with this panel and how it works after several weeks?

Liberator005

Post by Liberator005 » 17 Mar 2021, 03:53

This thread is interesting, I have personally been disappointed by the omen x25f while owning a benq xl2411p precedently. This experience made me think 240hz panels do not yet achieve same performance as old best 144hz like the benq and the asus vg248qe. But looking at this thread, it looks like even an ips 240hz 1440p can feel super snappy. Would you say it’s snappier than your old vg248qe ? Or is it comparable ?

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 17 Mar 2021, 06:59

I have already bought it, it's really slightly better than VG279QM in CS GO, I don't see blur and better for job, but I haven't yet used to small text, later I will try to write my full review.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Mar 2021, 13:28

Sadly, Benq doesn't have any 1440p 240hz monitors. Their best 1440p monitor is the now 5 year old XL2735! Which is a 144 hz monitor.
While it accepts Vertical Total tweaks for lower strobe crosstalk, the values it can accept at 100hz, 120hz are rather limited (I believe it can go up to 1840 VT or something), and at 144hz it can barely go up by 20. So that's probably not ideal since you don't want to be limited to 144hz, and I doubt it can be manually overclocked to 240hz either (the old Mstar Out of Range firmware tricks don't work on the Realtek scalers!)

The newer 1080p 27" version of this, the XL2746S, can accept much higher VT (VT 2250 at 100hz and 120hz, and VT 1600 at 144hz and VT 1350 at 182hz) for much lower input lag and strobe crosstalk. But this is again 1080p.

I would wait for the upcoming 1440p 165hz IPS monitors that can do single strobe at 60hz all the way to 165hz.

Otherwise you can look at the Viewsonic XG270 unless you want to keep waiting.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 18 Mar 2021, 06:01

I had already returned Acer xv272ux to the shop, there is my review about it, it will be little bit narrowed as my goals are job and CS GO and every panel I use in stock mode cause I always have some issues with overdrives in CS. So my current Asus VG279QM already for year and I will compare xv272ux with it. Also, my videocard gtx 1060 6gb and of course I understand in AAA games for example like Cyberpunk2077 or Doom eternal xv272ux will be better with 2k and powerful videocard, so I tested xv272ux only in CS GO and my opinion for this game VG279QM > xv272ux, but:

response time: in stock mode with normal overdrive xv272ux has better response time, the picture is like VG279QM with 80OD, but without any overshoot and very smooth, I think there is 3.6 - 4.2ms average. So in stock mode xv272ux > VG279QM(OD60).

I play CS GO with 1024*768 black bars and picture become little bit with more "soap" (sry, idk how to say it english :D), probably because of higher scaling from 2560х1440. But it's playable as for me.

input lag: xv272ux gives snappy feeling, but idk know why, but I play better on 5-10% with VG279QM, may be because of habit, but in rare micro-moments my spray wasn't consistent with xv272ux. I don't remember such issues with VG279QM in the first day, it was my love from the first DM, but this didn't happen with xv272ux, perfomance was good, but no so high as with VG279QM ( I have global in mm and level 9 faceit)

For a job(xv272ux): little text in emails little bit confused me at the beginning, but it all adjustable. Also as I use 400 dpi it made me more efforts to work with mouse on 2560х1440 resolution )).

So my opinion, for CS GO vg279qm > xv272ux in any other cases xv272ux > vg279qm

VG279QM cost for me near 418$, but ux272ux near 810$, that's why I returned it as not much I received for this price and in some cases my perfomance in CS GO become worse. (input lag better with vg279qm also xv272ux has "soap" in game with 1024*768)