ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lev1n

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Lev1n » 02 May 2024, 11:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 20:36
Lev1n wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 01:14
Just bought this monitor. Its shipped today gonna arrive in 2 days. Want to ask this monitor does comes with any hdmi/dp port cable? If it doesn't comes with any cable can i use my old dp port cable comes with vg248?
Yes, it will include a DP cable (at least it has historically been included)
Ty. Just got the monitor. No dead pixels no panel errors no osd button errors, but i cant use this monitor with this brightness. I choose custom purexp on osd littlebit better tryed with disabling eco mode and % 100 brightness still garbage. Is there any way to use this monitor with much more brightness?

Supermodel_Evelynn

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 03 May 2024, 20:25

xaerock wrote:
01 May 2024, 13:15
XG2431 I bought in september 2022 developed a defect of horizontal lines forming above and below anything drawing on the screen, including the ViewSonic logo during power on. I see a decent amount of posts of this issue on other boards.
I really enjoy the feature set of the monitor. Like I happened to post here earlier the blur reduction with custom QFT can be great at 60-100hz, a nice CRT replacement. But I wonder how long the average XG2431 lasts/return rate.

Interestingly on my unit theproblem has so far been essentially unnoticeable when running at stock 240hz or custom resolutions with maxed out vertical total/pixel clock. At first I thought this might be a strange issue with my PC POST screen. The issue really appears at stock lower hz, or plugged into a console where the screen becomes unusable as it gets filled with horizontal lines that stack up on top of eachother and dont disappear.

If the RMA process goes well from ViewSonic I might replace my 2nd monitor with another XG2431 or splurge on a XG272-2K OLED (BlurBusters verified..?), but better wait for reviews on the latter.

xg2431_lines_ex1.png
There is actually a warning on Amazon by Amazon themselves against buying the XG2431 due to the high returns they get it's likely due to failure rate

With that said this warning isn't exclusive to Viewsonic, there are quite a number of high end Samsung monitors with the same high failure rate.

Regardless there is nothing we can do but buy and hope it works out cause this is the only 60hz strobed monitor available.

With that said I noticed that modern fighting games or games locked to 60 FPS doesn't really play well with 60hz strobing in the sense that games nowadays are actually designed with motion blur in mind

However if you enable Lossless_Scaling App to interpolate to 120 FPS it solves all the issues when strobing the addition of the extra animation from interpolation makes the movements in street fighter 6 appear to smooth and buttery.

At 60 HZ it looks extremely jittery when doing fast moves, remember modern games are designed with motion blur to compensate for this.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 04 May 2024, 18:58

With any interpolation tech you're introduced to increased input latency and visual artifacts. Both are undesirable for a fighting game. What your issue might actually be is the v-sync many fighting games implement to cap frames. This in engine v-sync can be turned off on some games in their .ini. then use another limiter such as Special K or rtss. Capcom vs Marvel 3 done this way was incredibly fluid and flawless at 60hz with the backlight strobing.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 04 May 2024, 19:01

Lev1n wrote:
02 May 2024, 11:04
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Lev1n wrote:
Just bought this monitor. Its shipped today gonna arrive in 2 days. Want to ask this monitor does comes with any hdmi/dp port cable? If it doesn't comes with any cable can i use my old dp port cable comes with vg248?
Ty. Just got the monitor. No dead pixels no panel errors no osd button errors, but i cant use this monitor with this brightness. I choose custom purexp on osd littlebit better tryed with disabling eco mode and % 100 brightness still garbage. Is there any way to use this monitor with much more brightness?
Not with the purexp mode on. Just play in the dark and you'll get used to it.

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 06 May 2024, 19:47

Lev1n wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Lev1n wrote:
Chief Blur Buster Admin explained this a while back, basically the LEDs in the XG2431 is being displayed at twice the max brightness so this monitor does 340 nits standard mode without any strobing.
So when strobing is enabled the LEDs run at 680 Nits this is 2X max brightness however on the brightest strobing mode it's only giving you 200 nits now why is this?

Because the LEDs are turned off to hide the pixel ghosting so your eyes cannot see it. To try and compensate for this the LEDs are turning on and off extremely quickly and running twice the voltage however running twice the voltage is not going to do much if the LEDs are off 70% of the time.

BenQ solves this with 4 X Voltage on the Zowie so the Zowie monitors are around 1200 Nits so when they flash and turn off you can get an effective brightness of 300 nits, this is incredibly good but it would also be a nightmare at 60 HZ think of that nasty flicker

The aim of the XG2431 was 0 cross talk at 60HZ and for that you want LESS brightness unless you want to die from flicker.
Also Viewsonic REFUSED to allow more than 2X CREE LED Voltage due to warranty issues and the fact that it degrades the brightness of LED much quicker. 2X Voltage was the only safe method that would allow the monitor to lose only a small amount of brightness in 5 years of use compared to Zowie.

It is what it is, maybe if we are lucky there will be better technology for brighter LEDs

PS: You get used to the dimmer screen fairly quickly as your eyes adjust to it.

Lev1n

Post by Lev1n » 07 May 2024, 01:37

Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
06 May 2024, 19:47
Lev1n wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Lev1n wrote:
Chief Blur Buster Admin explained this a while back, basically the LEDs in the XG2431 is being displayed at twice the max brightness so this monitor does 340 nits standard mode without any strobing.
So when strobing is enabled the LEDs run at 680 Nits this is 2X max brightness however on the brightest strobing mode it's only giving you 200 nits now why is this?

Because the LEDs are turned off to hide the pixel ghosting so your eyes cannot see it. To try and compensate for this the LEDs are turning on and off extremely quickly and running twice the voltage however running twice the voltage is not going to do much if the LEDs are off 70% of the time.

BenQ solves this with 4 X Voltage on the Zowie so the Zowie monitors are around 1200 Nits so when they flash and turn off you can get an effective brightness of 300 nits, this is incredibly good but it would also be a nightmare at 60 HZ think of that nasty flicker

The aim of the XG2431 was 0 cross talk at 60HZ and for that you want LESS brightness unless you want to die from flicker.
Also Viewsonic REFUSED to allow more than 2X CREE LED Voltage due to warranty issues and the fact that it degrades the brightness of LED much quicker. 2X Voltage was the only safe method that would allow the monitor to lose only a small amount of brightness in 5 years of use compared to Zowie.

It is what it is, maybe if we are lucky there will be better technology for brighter LEDs

PS: You get used to the dimmer screen fairly quickly as your eyes adjust to it.
I will try to get used to it. I dont have headache for 5-6 days and my eyes are not filled with blood. Games are same didnt lose anything at performance based.

Lev1n

Post by Lev1n » Today, 08:47

Its been 15 days im using xg2431 still cant get used to low brightness. I have purexp on light. If anyone have good settings for better brightness can i get these settings?