[PHOTOS] Accurate Photos of Display Motion Blur [some HDTVs]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

[PHOTOS] Accurate Photos of Display Motion Blur [some HDTVs]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 23:46

Pursuit cameras are found in science papers for display testing (Google Scholar). I've found a way to make the technique cheap enough for bloggers/everyday testers -- now another HDTV testing site has adopted the technique!

Here's some excellent motion blur photography utilizing an invention of my own (frequently found in science labs, rarely found on reviewer/blog websites). The pursuit camera invention costs as little as $200 to setup -- just a camera rail & an off-the-shelf camera -- or the only-slightly-more-costly setup photographed below. This is the world's most inexpensive accurate pursuit camera for motion blur measurement, made possible by a pursuit-camera tracking-accuracy-verification temporal test pattern I invented.

The RTings HDTV testing website has adopted my invention (which I gave to them for free, in exchange for credit).

Stationary cameras don't accurately capture display motion blur during eye-tracking situations. Thus, pursuit camera tracking of on-screen motion is a vastly far more accurate approximation of eye-tracking of on-screen motion. It makes possible a greater degree of objective comparative display motion blur analysis than stationary camera photography of displays.

RTings' test method, based on my setup, is quite simple. Rather than a UFO (which Blur Busters uses in motion tests), they use an RTings logo graphic scrolling left-to-right at 960 pixels/second (moderately fast motion). The motion itself creates motion blur, which is thus accurately captured by pursuit camera (camera-tracking as an approximate equivalence of eye-tracking). Scientific papers (example: "MPRT pursuit camera" on Google Scholar) have long used the pursuit camera technique scientific measurement of motion blur. However, pursuit cameras were not cheap enough for websites/bloggers to use until a simple invention permitted easy verification of tracking accuracy via a temporal test pattern.

Image Sony W800B, interpolation disabled

Image Sony W800B, interpolation enabled

Image Sony W800B in Motionflow Impulse Mode (strobe mode)

Obviously, as you can see there's the LCD GtG pixel transition slowness showing up in the images (the GtG effects is the ghosting / multi-image effect occuring at the left edge behind the motion blurring) that's occuring independently of the persistence-based motion blurring. GtG artifacts is not the same as persistence-based motion blurring. It is already quite obvious, that the persistence-based motion blur out-dominates GtG-based artifacts, at least during the 960 pixels/second motionspeed (representative of fast motion, like sports and videogames) on this display.

As you can see enabling blur-reducing mode, often sharpens the GtG artifacts too, but the persistence-related motion blur becomes gone or mostly gone. So as you can see, that persistence blur is independent of GtG artifacts, and sometimes the GtG artifacts is hidden (blurred) by the persistence blur, as seen in the above photos.

The motion blur seen in these captures, is pretty accurately representative of blurring seen in low-blur source material of similar crispness at similar motionspeeds running at framerates matching refreshrates (e.g. fast-camera-shutter sports broadcasts, or playing 60fps video games, or computer use such as 60fps text smooth-scrolling, etc). These motionspeeds are far faster than the typical 6.5ppf used in FPD monoscope and similar tests, so motion blur issues stands out far more, which is important to motion clarity lovers (e.g. CRT, fast plasma, etc), much as video is to videophiles and audio is to audiophiles.

A group of researchers are now about to work on a scientific paper within a year -- writing about my pursuit camera technique (yep -- peer reviewed), so this will be the first real science paper I'm mentioned in, as they were very impressed at what I have done -- my pursuit camera setup cost only $200 to build from scratch -- and outperformed a $50,000 commercial rig.

Related reading:
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [PHOTOS] Accurate Photos of Display Motion Blur [some HD

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 23:47

Here are some additional nifty motion blur photography, that highlights the GtG component of the artifacts -- showing common artifact problems of LCD HDTVs. it is also known that OLED does not have the GtG issues shown below. Plus, we all know that plasma/DLP can avoid the GtG (pixel response) problems that LCDs have. It is noteworthy that most new 120Hz computer gaming monitors do a better job at motion than all the photos on this page. And we see 2013/2014 HDTV manufacturers use new efficient backlight strobing techniques to hide LCD GtG pixel transition slowness in total darkness between strobes on completed refreshes. And all kinds of tricks/techniques going on. But at the bottom line, how does it visually look to the end-user?

A photograph is worth a thousand words, and far more relevant to readers/users than an "1080 lines of motion resolution" FPD test. Without further ado, here are completely intuitive and self-explanatory photographs of very common LED HDTV motion artifacts, found on three different models of LED-backlit LCD HDTVs:

Severe Ghosting
Severe ghosting -- This GtG artifacts often looks like this when you have little or no overdrive, and/or when the LCD panel is very cold (cold VA LCDs create much longer ghost trails than when warmed up; the common advice to warm up your display before testing applies to LCDs too). Also, low-quality backlight strobing is occuring with this one, creating severe multi-image effects. (Toshiba L1400U, default)

Inverse Ghosting
Bright ghosting -- This GtG artifact is called a corona, or inverse ghosting. The ghosting is brighter than the original pixels. This is caused by agressive overdrive (response time acceleration) overshooting its final pixel color value. (Samsung H7150, MCFI=ON)

Inconsistent ghosting
Inconsistent ghosting -- Look at the corners of the logo. This GtG artifact is caused by inconsistent GtG response speeds. Some pixels are slower than others. The pixels at the upper-left corner and upper-right corner of RTings are transitioning slower, because the pixels have been staying red longer than the pixels in the middle of the logo, where there a lot of white pixels. (Samsung H6350, MCFI=ON)

Conclusion
It is pretty clear that the pursuit camera technique is a wonderful comparative tool that needs to be in more home theater magazines, more reviewer websites, and more display blogs. While not everyone cares about motion blur, there are parts of the audience that cares very much including plasma motion resolution lovers and people who miss CRT motion clarity. In the past, pursuit camera setups were extremely complicated, super expensive ($ in 4 and 5 figures), and hard to do. However, it has become surprisingly easy and inexpensive thanks to the cost-cutting technique (off-the-shelf camera slider rail + favourite off-the-shelf camera or SLR + my temporal test pattern for tracking accuracy verification) that managed lab-quality accuracy without the cost.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2014, 00:21

This thread is now also an article on the main Blur Busters website at:
http://www.blurbusters.com/motion-tests ... -examples/

Also, this thread gots many thumbsup at AVSFORUM.

nuninho1980

Post by nuninho1980 » 19 May 2014, 11:05

Motionflow Impulse Mode by Sony isn't perfect but good... Only 960px/s (2 sec) at full-HD?! It's bit slow...

CRT monitor (my 19" Samsung 957MB) is perfect at full-HD while the TestUFO test uses 2880 px/s (0.67 sec). :)

But do not you test any OLED TV yet?
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2014, 16:49

nuninho1980 wrote:Motionflow Impulse Mode by Sony isn't perfect but good... Only 960px/s (2 sec) at full-HD?! It's bit slow...
Most TV testers have been using the FPD test (6.5ppf at 60Hz, 390pixels/sec). Even just 960pixels/sec (16ppf) is a much better standardized motion speed, even if a bit slow. Game motion is faster than a lot of television/movie material, but a common representative speed still needs to be chosen, so 960 pixels/second is getting to be a good standard because it's close to 1000 pixels/sec, but divisible by 60Hz or 120Hz.
nuninho1980 wrote:But do not you test any OLED TV yet?
Not yet. We'll have to ask RTings to test some OLED HDTVs.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2014, 16:42

I've got some correspondence -- the plan is for the paper on my invention is going to be presented at a conference this December in Japan. I will be listed as one of the authors of this paper, along with display researchers.

Currently, I am not sure yet (budget-wise) if I will be joining yet. My "shoe-string-budget" pursuit camera invention is patent-free and available for anybody to use. I am looking forward to seeing this invention recognized as they were impressed -- error margin is less than 1%.

Waddo

Post by Waddo » 14 Jun 2014, 19:34

congrats, I think this motion blur/pixel persistence stuff is a major bottle-neck but when this and free/g-sync is perfected what do you think the next major bottle-neck to tackle will be?
there is a alot to choose from though I know micro-stutters is a recent discovery and the main reason for FCAT and free/g-sync.
what do you think is next in line?

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 14 Jun 2014, 20:04

Great stuff, Mark

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 14 Jun 2014, 20:21

Congrats chief.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 14 Jun 2014, 20:46

Congrats Chief and good luck!